Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Ativan taper

Can you micro taper off of Ativan using jewelry scale, or does it have too short of a 1/2 life?  

[Fa...]

Hi, @[Ch...].  I have no experience tapering Ativan, but I wanted to reply to your post.  I see no issues with tapering Ativan using a jeweler's scale; however, I'm sure you would have to dose a few times per day with the shorter half-life.

I also see no issues making small, and frequent, reductions in dose using this strategy.  Hopefully someone with experience will stop by. 

• Like 1

[El...]

@[Ch...] I am currently doing a slow "sort of" micro taper with Ativan.  I am currently at 0.67 mg and am dosing 3 times per day.  I reduce between 0.35-0.40% from my last dose for 3-4 days in a row, then hold 1-2 days.  These reductions are currently allowing me to reduce approximately 2-2.5% per week.  I also schedule in periodic longer holds just to maintain functionality.  I say this knowing that it all may change tomorrow....as I have had to make several adjustments to my taper along the way.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
[Di...]

I read somewhere under 1 mg of Ativan a jewelry scale will not be useful.   I am currently tapering at around .67 mg but I only take my dose once at night.  I did a micro taper two months ago for about three weeks.  It helped me at the time.

[ns...]

Hi Charlene, I'm tapering lorazepam, Ativan generic. It's been rough. I'm down to 0.08 and I'm headed down to 0.05 to jump.

I use a jewlers scale, it's not very accurate at this level but it comes close. Getting down this low makes it difficult to even shave the tiny doses with a nail file. Going to have to start crushing them to powder I guess. 

You can do it, but it takes a lot of patience and a steady hand. 

You're scale will be off alot of the time at the lower doses. I go with the number that is consistent 3 or 4 times. 

If I'm needing 0.22mg I weigh it several times. Once I see 0.22  3 or 4 times, I know I'm close. It's not to bad, it's just really time consuming and takes patience.  You'll never get it just right at that low dose but you can get close.

I hope that helps 

Good luck with your taper!