Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Too much water?

Has anyone ever gotten withdrawal symptoms from drinking too much water near the time of taking doses?

Possibly diluting dose?

9 hours ago, [[I...] said:

Has anyone ever gotten withdrawal symptoms from drinking too much water near the time of taking doses?

Possibly diluting dose?

I am not aware of any evidence which supports this. Benzodiazepines are not eliminated that way. Rather, they are absorbed, metabolised by the liver, and then eliminated via the kidneys.

Thanks, This seems to be what all my research says, and yet when I stopped drinking the huge amounts of water, the wds backed off.

Some background: I have too many red blood cells and often need phlebotomies. Not a great thing when they can never find my veins. Anyway, I was trying to eliminate iron from my system by taking quercitin, reseratrol, calcium, and milk thistle.

Initially, Iwhen the symptoms arose, I assumed it was a Herx from removing heavy metals too fast, hence all the water drinking to hurry the herx along. Then I noticed two things, the more water I drank, the worse the symptoms got, and the symptoms were very similar to benzo withdrawal.

So I stopped drinking water almost completely, and they did ease off. I did a good deal of my water drinking at the same time I took my K, so even though it is metabolized the way you say, I might have been diluting or washing it out before it had a chance to get to the liver and kidneys.

Another possibility, the reservatrol is supposed to react with benzos. My research could not determine which way it reacted whether enhancing or inhibiting, but perhaps that is the reason, maybe the reservatrol was giving me a higher or lesser dose over the month or so that this went on, and now I'm feeling the effects of that.  One of the many wonders of benzos. They never cease to surprise me. Even years after I stopped trying to get off them.

13 minutes ago, [[I...] said:

Another possibility, the reservatrol is supposed to react with benzos. My research could not determine which way it reacted whether enhancing or inhibiting, but perhaps that is the reason, maybe the reservatrol was giving me a higher or lesser dose over the month or so that this went on, and now I'm feeling the effects of that.  One of the many wonders of benzos. They never cease to surprise me. Even years after I stopped trying to get off them.

It seems that resveratrol might interfere with cytochrome P450(CYP)3A4 enzyme. This would result in benzodiazepines being metabolized more slowly, resulting in increased blood levels.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S037842741831988X

1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

It seems that resveratrol might interfere with cytochrome P450(CYP)3A4 enzyme. This would result in benzodiazepines being metabolized more slowly, resulting in increased blood levels.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S037842741831988X

So, in theory, if I was getting a higher dose, then perhaps when I stopped the reservatrol I would be then be getting a lower dose, which might explain the wds, particularly considering the reason I stopped trying to get off the K was that no matter how small a cut I made, it adversely affected me out of all proportion.

Perhaps it's some combination of a Herx reaction and wds.

Of course none of this explains why drinking large amounts of water made things worse and stopping the water eased them.

Thanks for all the information. You managed to find which way the reservatrol might have worked on the dosage. I'm not real good with those abstracts. Can never figure out what they mean in plain English.

Edited by [In...]

39 minutes ago, [[I...] said:

So, in theory, if I was getting a higher dose, then perhaps when I stopped the reservatrol I would be then be getting a lower dose, which might explain the wds, particularly considering the reason I stopped trying to get off the K was that no matter how small a cut I made, it adversely affected me out of all proportion.

I cannot say one way or the other with any certainty, but your reasoning makes sense to me.

• Like 1

Just a thought but drinking a lot of water affects our balance of electrolytes so just throwing that into the mix. 

• Like 1

Thanks again. Yes I also considered the electrolytes aspect. No doubt a combination of all the possibilities. That's usually the case in my experience.

• 1 month later...
[Va...]

Maybe You were reacting to Calcium? NMDA receptors are highly permeable by calcium ions, water is rich in calcium and You were also taking it as a supplement.

• 3 months later...
[TH...]

I've noticed this recently. One day I drink a lot of water and end up with chest symptoms. Then the next day I don't drink half as much and symptoms ease slightly. So I think there is a link somewhere. Our bodies are so strange.