Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Weight gain group

Here a thread for those who gained lots of weight, 

I became Obese since this injury, 

Literally. 

I hope we can all eventually Lose IT. 

No diet works, i eat little carbs only two meals a day and fasting 16 hours minimum. 

I went from 128 pounds to 190

Share your stories and hopefully someone who had this too Will give is some hope 

#obesity , Weight gain, Obese. 

2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Literally. 

No diet works, i eat little carbs only two meals a day and fasting 16 hours minimum. 

Share your stories and hopefully someone who had this too Will give is some hope 

Mascha4444, I haven't gained I've lost! I eat lots of healthy carbs and fat buy cannot gain. I've heard that some gain and some lose.

No rhyme or reason I guess, just depends on our metabolism. 

I know this thread is for weight gain, didn't mean to hijack it!

Take care

Ns

• Angry 1

Since I started seroquel several years ago, i started at 130, peaked at 193, and got down to 180 a month ago after minimal food and lots of exercise over a year. I have intense vertigo I cant get rid of which popped up a little over a week ago. Exercise has been impossible, and I am going nuts, I hate just sitting.

SO, yeah, these meds interfere with metabolism and who knows what else, impacting our weight. The worst is my belly, but as I understand it, thats from cortisol.

• Sad 1

I could hardly eat in taper, lost 30 pounds. Now I am literally starving an hour or so after eating. Maybe I’m starved for nutrients or my blood sugar is low from this.

ive gained all 30 pounds back.

of course my everyone who saw me when i was super skinny said how good I looked and was so lucky. Really? How sick this culture is that think you look great when your neck bones are sticking out and your face is bones and gaunt.

Yep I'm just like these other people have said, I lost 40lbs and then once my akathisia calmed down a bit I gained it all back.. lol.  I think the weight fluctuation will go back to normal when you are a bit better, and you'll get there!  Also, I'm sure people have already told you about this but if you are suffering with dystonia, you may want to talk to Baylissa as I know she has it.  Hers wasn't for the injury but I'm sure the treatment of it could be similar and she lives a pretty full life on no benzos.

34 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

I could hardly eat in taper, lost 30 pounds. Now I am literally starving an hour or so after eating. Maybe I’m starved for nutrients or my blood sugar is low from this.

ive gained all 30 pounds back.

of course my everyone who saw me when i was super skinny said how good I looked and was so lucky. Really? How sick this culture is that think you look great when your neck bones are sticking out and your face is bones and gaunt.

I'm starving always too but it's during taper. My diet lacks nothing, all good fats, nutrients, vit minerals. Starving hour after I eat too. I know I'll gain it back but I'm way to thin! Glad to hear you gained it back! I'm sure those who gained will lose. It's strange what this does to our bodies. 

Ns

Hi all, I thought it might help I put my $.10 worth in  I gained and lost over several stone on a few occasions whilst in and unbeknown tolerance, withdrawal, and then in withdrawal itself when I started tapering

At . no point did I change my diet and exactly the same diet yet gained and lost that amount of weight it’s because our metabolism and hormones are messed up when you start to get into homeostasis it will sort itself out.  

I did drop a lot of weight again, but I’m now putting weight back on at the moment. I’m at normal weight for my height and build we’ll see what happens next 🙄 But  I need to add that  this time the weight game was partly intentional as I have a serious illness and the last thing I need to be is underweight with it and end up, looking like the poster child for the issue itself.  

Nova ❤️ 

I don't know if we are talking Cold turkey, or tapering, but I've been tapering using a slow, micro taper, and I was on low-carb, healthy fats and protein nutrition 3 years before I began my taper.  I lost the 30 extra lbs (a pound a week roughly) before I started my taper, and through the taper I haven't gained or lost significant weight. I mean  not more than a lb or two.

I reversed my T2 Diabetes just with nutrition, and I have no Insulin Resistance/Metabolic Syndrome I know of, although I've read that Insulin Resistance/MS are at least one cause of T2 Diabetes.

Sadly, there isn't much I can find online about benzo use, and/or wd sxs and weight changes, but plenty of info on obesity, or on the opposite which I guess is malnutrition.  Seems to me a lot of focus is not on the "root cause", and I believe that's where it needs to be, oregonlady

Edited by [or...]

18 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Literally. 

I don't believe in unsustainable diets either.  I chose to go with Ketogenic nutrition when I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes 3 years before I got to BB.  Diet doesn't mean starvation, unsustainable (a way that's realistic for a person to maintain for life) For me lowering carbs was not the only thing to do, I had to eat plenty of fats, and proteins. 

I grew up hearing, and believing, "eat too much fat and you'll be fat" but found a good balance of fats, proteins and carbs was the ticket for me.

I do understand there are some that have special circumstances, and I can say my own body has been very messed up by taking a benzo for 35 years.  But what I see a lot of is a real lack of anyone mentioning exactly what we are putting in our bodies during wd from a benzo.  Also, what are we able to do while in wd for exercise.  I can hardly help someone if I don't know the answers to those questions.

I can try to comfort folks and say "you're gonna heal" or I can ask the hard questions.  I fully understand that each of us are different, but what I'm more inclined to focus on is "how are we alike", oregonlady :hug: