Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Finally done with Lamotrigine (or lactimal ) but not done with the wave

Anyone have experience with getting off lamotrigine while still recovering? I'm almost 18 months out. Was starting to have a few decent days and for no reason a wave blew in. So I was feeling lousy and of course tried to figure out why. I'm still always looking for a reason for what defies logic!

I'd been prescribed lamotrigine for crushing depression but it didn't do a whole lot; probably because I didn't like it and never could get anywhere near a normal dose.

Anyway, I started titrating down some time ago, and got to 1/4 of the pill. Then my pharmacy changed the brand and gave me tiny round tablets and I could barely cut them much less weight them! So I took it the best I could for a few weeks, then cut a bunch and took the smaller-sized pieces for a week or two. Since I've been feeling lousy I decided why not just get rid of it since I can't even weigh it, can't make sure I'm taking consistent doses and feel rotten anyway. So I just stopped.

Honestly I don't feel a whole lot worse but I do feel more depressed. Just a step backwards, not a leap back into the darkest places, but I'm dying to know if any of these increased symptoms (tired to death, dizzier, hard to push back at the depression; it's even hard to watch TV!!!) have hit others coming off similar meds. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for reading, my best to you,

HCHC

• Like 1

Thanks @[wi...], I checked out the threads and bb member threads. I appreciate your direction!

Many threads on bb were started by me, and a cursory read makes me think, oy, just get off of it and get past this!!

From the survivngandidepressants.org threads, it sounds as if people there are having huge struggles getting off lamectal. It's hard to weed through all of it and find little pieces of encouragement, which is kind of what I was hoping for. I mean, I'm off it and by grace I'll stay off and feel better some time. 

When I'm feeling a bit stronger I'll go back to the site and look again. Really appreciate the direction @[Br...]!!

Warmly,

HCHC

• Like 1

I've often wondered whether it is just best to quick taper antidepressants and get it over with or do a slow taper and heal on the way down.. and I think the answer to that isn't so black and white.  I've tried both but the microtaper is for me since I get crushing symptoms.  If your symptoms are bareable I say keep going, you will be fine :)

• Like 1

Thanks @[So...], as the days pass I am thinking you are right. Since I'm already micro-tapering mirtazepine, I just can't face second micro-taper! It was hard enough walking my doctor and her staff through getting the mirt compounded, and I'm aware that they think I'm overstating my predicament. I'm now off the lamotrigine, and although I'm struggling a bit more in the afternoons, heck, I was struggling in the afternoons already!

I'm already noticing that I have more energy. Not a surge, just a bit more. I've also had a couple of moments when I felt happy in a lighter way. So this mood stabilizer is better out of me than in me at this point. Still hoping to feel good for one whole day, and after my body settles down, who knows? It could happen!

Thanks for your response!!!

Warmly,

HCHC

[So...]

Where are you on your mirt taper BTW?  I'm microtapering too .01 and sometimes .02mg a day and I'm at 1.95mg now! 

If there are good things coming out of it too I'd just keep going.  Your body would tell you if you needed back on, trust me!!