Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Worried about potential setback coming

Hello all,

I had a brilliant day Sunday - felt completely like myself, and only one or two symptoms I could feel.

Then yesterday morning I had a severe panic attack, it was so scary (hard to describe but pretty much hallucinated) and because it looked like a seizure my partner phoned 999.

They gave me a shot of diazepam - the tiniest amount, my partner checked after he found out what it was to try and stop them - but although I now feel fine. Which is great, I am really scared if this could trigger a setback? Or is it that I am just past the bulk of the symptoms as I did think I was close to the end.. really worried?

If it was such a tiny dose, would a setback last long? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, [[B...] said:

Hello all,

I had a brilliant day Sunday - felt completely like myself, and only one or two symptoms I could feel.

Then yesterday morning I had a severe panic attack, it was so scary (hard to describe but pretty much hallucinated) and because it looked like a seizure my partner phoned 999.

They gave me a shot of diazepam - the tiniest amount, my partner checked after he found out what it was to try and stop them - but although I now feel fine. Which is great, I am really scared if this could trigger a setback? Or is it that I am just past the bulk of the symptoms as I did think I was close to the end.. really worried?

If it was such a tiny dose, would a setback last long? 

No don't worry about that. It's just one time. I have a couple of beers once a month or something and i don't get setbacks. But i don't know how long you been off and such. Nice you had a brilliant sunday :)

Just try to live in the present. Now is what counts and you feel ok right now.

Thank you. I am very hopeful - been off 24months a week today, so was hoping I was nearly free of the mess!

• Like 1

Thank you @[ne...] 🙂 that is a relief to hear!

If anyone has seen anything else to agree that one tiny dosage of diazepam shouldn't cause a setback, then more thoughts would be appreciated too

42 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Thank you @[ne...] 🙂 that is a relief to hear!

If anyone has seen anything else to agree that one tiny dosage of diazepam shouldn't cause a setback, then more thoughts would be appreciated too

But that being said i understand that everything can do a setback. From going to the gym to smoking. I just being lucky and don't get them. So far so good. Five months out.

Does anyone else have any opinions on whether this could cause a setback? Equally how long would it take to feel the setback - as the dose was given at around 6am I think?

Edited by [Bi...]

I agree with @[ne...], I don't think this will cause a setback, one-off doses of benzodiazepines don't typically cause that.  When I was recovering from my cold turkey, I asked for a benzodiazepine in order to do a PET scan and it helped me remain calm and still but after it wore off, I was back to my post withdrawal symptoms.  

I don't think you're going to notice anything different, you're going to be fine. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I agree with @[ne...], I don't think this will cause a setback, one-off doses of benzodiazepines don't typically cause that.  When I was recovering from my cold turkey, I asked for a benzodiazepine in order to do a PET scan and it helped me remain calm and still but after it wore off, I was back to my post withdrawal symptoms.  

I don't think you're going to notice anything different, you're going to be fine. 

I'm curious @Pamster. Did the benzo work as it did the first time again? I have a surgery coming up..

5 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

I'm curious @Pamster. Did the benzo work as it did the first time again? I have a surgery coming up..

Yes, it was a little over a year from my cold turkey so a little went a long way. 

• Like 1

Just now, [[P...] said:

Yes, it was a little over a year from my cold turkey so a little went a long way. 

I was just reading your wd story it was tough shit omg!! I can totally relate!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Ah thank you @[Pa...]! That would be amazing as it could mean I really am feeling free of a bulk of the symptoms!!! Yeah, about 1mg diazepam at 5am (checking details with my partner) so already 36hrs ago... eeek!! 😁

Edited by [Bi...]
  • Love 1

Okay @[Bi...], its probably time to make a plan for the next time you have a panic attack, because its bound to happen and its important to find a way through it that won't involve emergency services and benzodiazepines.  This is easy for me to say because I've never had a panic attack but I hope you and your partner can put a plan in place.  

There is also a chance it was a higher dose... I tried to find out as I was a bit worried... if it was higher (she said 10mg or 10micrograms, but isn't medically trained so may have got it wrong and was confused)... is it still likely to not be having effects any more and not cause a setback?

16 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

There is also a chance it was a higher dose... I tried to find out as I was a bit worried... if it was higher (she said 10mg or 10micrograms, but isn't medically trained so may have got it wrong and was confused)... is it still likely to not be having effects any more and not cause a setback?

Now my partner has confirmed there is no way that it was that high... so fingers crossed?

I think worrying about it has a bigger chance to cause a setback than the actual benzo. So just try to think of something else like watch a movie or something. I stretched watched the serie One Day yesterday. Really good :balloon:

• Like 1