Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

3 months off Xanax daily for many many years, but still nonfunctional, ER time?

[08...]

[08...]

My legs are critically weak from injury and not moving due to WD, they are tight and like jello, swelling and tingling all at once, some days are better than others. I cannot do anything really, except maybe get on the floor to stretch it out? That’s all I can really try, I can stand but not unassisted. I’ve been essentially bedbound for months and months. I try to do light exercise but everything I try causes pain for many days after, it’s almost impossible to build strength.

Is this really benzo wd at this point? If I goto the ER, I need to be sure it’s not benzo related, I cannot simply go get checked out given my current limitations, it’s gotta be life and death and honestly I feel close, the only thing holding me back is that it can miraculously turn around because it’s just benzo WD. Serious comments only please 🙏🏻

40 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

My legs are critically weak from injury and not moving due to WD, they are tight and like jello, swelling and tingling all at once, some days are better than others. I cannot do anything really, except maybe get on the floor to stretch it out? That’s all I can really try, I can stand but not unassisted. I’ve been essentially bedbound for months and months. I try to do light exercise but everything I try causes pain for many days after, it’s almost impossible to build strength.

Is this really benzo wd at this point? If I goto the ER, I need to be sure it’s not benzo related, I cannot simply go get checked out given my current limitations, it’s gotta be life and death and honestly I feel close, the only thing holding me back is that it can miraculously turn around because it’s just benzo WD. Serious comments only please 🙏🏻

stupidmansuit, I'm really sorry you are having such difficulty. It does sound benzo related. Your weak because you've Been in bed so long. Jelly legs, weakness and anxiety. Stinging, withdrawal related. 

The swelling is probably due to lack of movement, possibly water retention or circulation issues.

Are u alone or do u have help?

You said you had an injury, what kind of an injury?

Are I currently on any medications?

I'm asking these questions so that anyone who stops by here will have a better picture of your situation. 

I know that if I don't keep moving I get stiffer, weak, more tingling etc 

Is there any way you can push yourself to get moving, as long as there's someone there to assist you. I think it would be beneficial to get moving asap but only u know your limitations.

What other symptoms are you having besides weakness?

Are u dizzy?

Its so difficult to know without a clear picture of your symptoms and situation. 

I hope someone will stop by and assist here, and I'm sure they will.

Please provide answers to the questions I've asked ok 

I'll be back around to see how it's going 

Take care

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Addition
  • Like 3

[08...]

Thanks you for the response, I will try to answer everything I can, sorry if I miss anything, please ask again if I overlook something.

i hurt my knee during the beginning of wd, I don’t know the full extent, but I can use it, it’s just painful and swells when I use it most times , which isn’t often cause of wd.

yes I can try moving and stretching on the floor, I do have help but any kind of exercise I’m on my own

Currently on gabapentin and Tylenol 3 for pain.

yeah definitely dizzy most days, probably from not moving and the meds, I do drink enough water 

my other symptoms are extreme anxiety and depression, extreme sensitivity to most stimuli 

my plan is to push myself to move on the floor, right now I sit up on the couch for a few hours a day and that’s it, legs get far too tight and painful - if this plan doesn’t work I’ll goto the ER

Hi @[st...], one thing I read here a lot is when you can, push yourself. When you can't, you can't and don't feel bad about that.

@nsindy asked really good questions and I look forward to reading your answers. There are so many days I wish I could just crawl into bed and stay there. But I can't, so I'm up, but honestly I've been lying on a sofa or the floor interminably! And getting weaker and weaker, and kicking myself.

So I have a better system now. I get up and work on something until I feel overwhelmed or just too tired. Then I go and sit/lay down until I feel like getting up again. I'm inching my way through projects that way, and getting things done makes me feel like I'm contributing something.

Gonna go read your reply now!!

HCHC

• Like 1

I think @[ns...]has a very good point. Lack of movement could be adding to your burden! It seems counter-intuitive to move when you're in pain, but there's something wonderful that happens to us when we move. Everything works better afterwards. 

Your digestion perks up. Your muscles begin to loosen up. Even your heart gets happier because the movement pushes blood back towards your heart, and the heart doesn't have to work as hard.

I'm also way too sedentary.  But I do floor exercises and walk on a treadmill. If I don't do these things, I don't sleep well and there's a downward spiral.

If you can, try walking a bit every day, adding time to it as you can. Doesn't matter if you hold onto the wall for stability, hold away! Just get moving—try! 

The ER isn't likely to help much, but if you ever feel as if you absolutely must go, then by all means, do that. We're on your sidelines cheering you on! You're the one in the driver's seat.

HCHC

• Like 2

[08...]

I’m unable to walk, it’s the primary reason I’m considering the ER, hoping floor exercises help, but it’s really a bleak situation as of now, since everything I’ve tried this far has failed. 

53 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

Thanks you for the response, I will try to answer everything I can, sorry if I miss anything, please ask again if I overlook something.

i hurt my knee during the beginning of wd, I don’t know the full extent, but I can use it, it’s just painful and swells when I use it most times , which isn’t often cause of wd.

yes I can try moving and stretching on the floor, I do have help but any kind of exercise I’m on my own

Currently on gabapentin and Tylenol 3 for pain.

yeah definitely dizzy most days, probably from not moving and the meds, I do drink enough water 

my other symptoms are extreme anxiety and depression, extreme sensitivity to most stimuli 

my plan is to push myself to move on the floor, right now I sit up on the couch for a few hours a day and that’s it, legs get far too tight and painful - if this plan doesn’t work I’ll goto the ER

Well good job! I zit on the couch most of the day now. I'm numb from the waste down and have electricity flowing through me like I'm plugged in but I know if I stay in bed I'm not going to make it. I have to keep pushing and so do u.

You really need someone to look at that knee though. That's a must, you probably need therapy to get it moving again but need to know the extent of the injury first.

Just like me, my lumbar is killing me, going to get an mri, then I'm going to therapy to get going. 

No matter what you have to move that body, even a little at a time each day. In bed, bend your knees to your chest and stretch, not to hard. Just until you feel a little strain the put in back down and try this 5x. 

Move your arms, hands get that blood pumping. 

Walk back and forth down the hall, hold onto the wall. Whatever it takes!

Withdrawal is hard and miserable but if you focus on the symptoms they dig in. I think that's what you've done, we all do it. You have anxiety, so your super hypersensitive and so am I so I have to work really hard to change my focus and remind myself that I'm safe, I'm uncomfortable but I'm ok over and over until my brain believes it!

Get your knee checked out ok, get up and move, change your focus and your attitude towards a more positive outcome, this is the miracle of healing!

Take care

Please let us know how your doing and what the doc says about your knee ok

Take care

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Addition

[zu...]

I just had my knee collapse on me last night.  I was laying on the floor and then tried to sit up and it just crumpled.  I wasn't even putting weight on it. I wound up writing on the floor feelng my bones grind together. My shoulder has also been hurting.  It feels like... and this may sound weird - but somehow the benzo was protecting my joints from old injuries - and when I quit - there is some sort of "rebalancing" where I need to feel the pain from earlier that I had numbed.  Like a re-balancing, anywhere I had ignored previous injuries inflicted during benzo use now are competing for my attention and care.  

Almost like my body is leading me in this.  But I had a full day planned today and am stuck limping around my depressing apartment because I'm scared my knee will give out again. I suppose I could see a doctor, but I'm scared they will just prescribe me pain killers and I will be right back on this roller coaster. 

[ns...]
2 hours ago, [[z...] said:

I just had my knee collapse on me last night.  I was laying on the floor and then tried to sit up and it just crumpled.  I wasn't even putting weight on it. I wound up writing on the floor feelng my bones grind together. My shoulder has also been hurting.  It feels like... and this may sound weird - but somehow the benzo was protecting my joints from old injuries - and when I quit - there is some sort of "rebalancing" where I need to feel the pain from earlier that I had numbed.  Like a re-balancing, anywhere I had ignored previous injuries inflicted during benzo use now are competing for my attention and care.  

Almost like my body is leading me in this.  But I had a full day planned today and am stuck limping around my depressing apartment because I'm scared my knee will give out again. I suppose I could see a doctor, but I'm scared they will just prescribe me pain killers and I will be right back on this roller coaster. 

Zulutango, sorry your going thru this! I know the feeling and the pain of this.

I feel this arthritic pain, my knee tried to give out yesterday, my fingers and hands are stiff, all my joints are. My muscles are stiff, tight and I get this squeezing throughout my body and face. My hair even hurts lol, I don't know how else to describe it. But I know I had alot of pain issues prior to benzos. Sciatica, neuralgia, back pain, sore muscles for example. 

The benzos I think k worked so well for pain, not just anxiety but for pain and sleep but now it's leaving our system. It's like being in a Coma and everything is coming back online. We haven't used our bodies much while in withdrawal so now we're stiff and our bones are too. I feel Like I need hydration or oil throughout my body, like I'm very dry!

I'm beginning to feel a change, its Suttle but it's there. I'm healing, I can feel my Brain and body changing. Even though I go thru terrible periods of severe symptoms, when they pass, the symptoms aren't as severe, I feel changes in the symptoms. I've eaten dessert twice, Chocolate muffins, they aren't bothering me but I know better than to overdue it.

My mood is more enthusiastic, I'm smiling, I'm eating more, I'm regular, I'm Sleeping! I'm wanting to go out, shopping or something even though it's hard. 

It's hars to explain but u think when our symptoms get really rough, like the squeezing type,electrical neurological, arthritic pain etc, just before healing. I think this is healing! Odd but healing. Ever so slowly, we're adjusting, our body is feeling the effects of non use and activity, the gaba in our Brain is beginning to balance out and soon it will be a complete balance and we will be ever healing!

I've read on bb recently of a few with these terrible symptoms. I think the squeezing causes the nerves to sting, tingle and our bones feel crushed because they're week. So for u and all who are experiencing these symptoms, I think you may be healing and it's closer than u think! No, I'm not done, bit I know there is a change and I'm going to do whatever I can to help this process of healing along, in my mind and body and I hope u will too!

Here's to our healing journey! :boxer: :hug:❤️

[zu...]

Dear @[ns...],

Thanks for sharing this with me.  I wonder if it is some type of inflammation.  I totally get it about your hair hurting!  I've been tempted to shave my head to eliminate that pain!  But I figure it will just move to my scalp.

I have noticed something interesting, before this latest stint on benzos, I was doing a lot of meditation, and it seems like wherever I let my attention fall, the feelings in that area intensify.  There has been this pulsing sensation in my face, in my jaw and between my eyebrows.  Whenever I pay attention to it, it gets more intense.  I read somewhere that attention is like a laser - it can heal or it can burn a hole in things, so I'm trying to be mindful about where I put my attention.  Oh, and I keep asking God for help, whatever one's higher power is, it seems like surrender is a better plan than battling these feelings.

I think I'm going to avoid gluten for a while and see if that brings down some of the inflammation. I can't go backwards, obviously, I don't want to have to go through this again, and more benzos will only prolong this experience, but golly, it is taking a lot longer than I remember it.

Here is to our knees not giving out, or our dedication to being free from this poison!

Thanks again for validating my feelings and sharing your insights.  I'm going to try and let my body lead me on this journey, and move a bit slower when things feel weak. 

[ns...]
2 hours ago, [[z...] said:

Dear @[ns...],

Thanks for sharing this with me.  I wonder if it is some type of inflammation.  I totally get it about your hair hurting!  I've been tempted to shave my head to eliminate that pain!  But I figure it will just move to my scalp.

I have noticed something interesting, before this latest stint on benzos, I was doing a lot of meditation, and it seems like wherever I let my attention fall, the feelings in that area intensify.  There has been this pulsing sensation in my face, in my jaw and between my eyebrows.  Whenever I pay attention to it, it gets more intense.  I read somewhere that attention is like a laser - it can heal or it can burn a hole in things, so I'm trying to be mindful about where I put my attention.  Oh, and I keep asking God for help, whatever one's higher power is, it seems like surrender is a better plan than battling these feelings.

I think I'm going to avoid gluten for a while and see if that brings down some of the inflammation. I can't go backwards, obviously, I don't want to have to go through this again, and more benzos will only prolong this experience, but golly, it is taking a lot longer than I remember it.

Here is to our knees not giving out, or our dedication to being free from this poison!

Thanks again for validating my feelings and sharing your insights.  I'm going to try and let my body lead me on this journey, and move a bit slower when things feel weak. 

Zulutango, you are so welcome! 

I've learned not to focus on symptoms even though they catch me off guard and I find myself in a bit of trouble. I change my focus, look to something else.

I've often Said that our symptoms are like a spoiled rotten child screaming for our attention. I can be on a day of exposure therapy at a store and here comes the bratty spoiled child! My symptoms are screaming at me. My tinnitus gets bad, tension starts setting in, I get tunnel vision and my legs get weak and I'm shaking! It's here that I know I'm about to freeze up right in the middle of the store. So I breath in and out, tell myself, I'm safe, uncomfortable but I'm ok!

Change your focus...

So I look for 3 things to focus on, breath and keep moving! 

Even though I can barely stand or walk, I push and I push and I get thru it!

I do this at home as well for practice and for therapy.

When we symptoms focus the symptoms set in deeper and our cns get lit up! You can literally feel it creeping in and engulfing you! 

Change your mind, you are in control! If we do this enough it will become a new habit! A good one for life. 

This is a long journey so I am learning, I fall every once in a while and go backwards like everyone else, But we all learn along the way what works for us.

God keeps me going and I pray often for everyone suffering from this horrendous disease! I need his strength and without him I know I would not make it!

I too thought gluten free was the answer but it just did nothing for me, maybe it will for u..

I hear that most feel that inflammation is what we're feeling but idk, I thought that too but with my diet it would be hard to blame it on inflammation from food. I thought all of my symptoms were from food, even healthy foods!

I really believe that it's just time that we need,

including The healthiest lifestyle you can give yourself including your diet Will give you strength and longevity. 

i think the drug gets further out of our system. our brain and body begin healing with a healthy balance returning us to a future normal Little by little. That's what I feel is happening to me everyday. Even though I'm still going thru terrible suffering I still feel changes, good changes.

I hope your knee gets better soon, rest it but not too long, use it as you can so u don't get stiff!

That's the key, not to let our bodies get stuck because we're afraid to move, but no matter the pain, we have to keep moving!

Hope to hear you're improving soon, healing and on the go!

Be compassionate with yourself ok, be patient, you will get thru this!

Take care

Ns

[PE...]
On 27/02/2024 at 00:47, [[s...] said:

Hi. Hope you are better than when you wrote this.

It's not sounding like a wd symptom IMO. You should check out that knee of yours. Having that pain while in wd sounds like a bad combination.

Good luck @Stupidmansuit 

;)

Edited by Guest

[08...]

I wouldn’t want to see a doctor for my knee, it hurts, as does my lower body in general, but by no means should it preclude me from walking or doing things even if it were a significant injury. The sedentary nature of these many, many months, where I often haven’t moved at all, have put me in a very bad position. At this point, I have to wonder if it’s some underlying condition, but I have no strength to go to a doctor, it is that bad, I’d have to have them stretcher me out to the ER, but realistically idk what they can do for me, steroids maybe? I really don’t know, it’s not like I’m getting surgery or am bleeding out, so I’d probably have to get blood drawn, ct scan, ect and still likely wouldn’t have much of an answer, all the while doing this would set me back months if not permanently given my physical state.  My only real shot is to rehab myself, I’ve done telehealth, I’ve tried PTs but they can’t do much for me cause I can’t even get through a couple minutes of the session. I do one exercise and have to rest for days on end. I’ll provide updates as they come in case my unlikely scenario helps a fellow user here, but as of now things are looking grim.

Edited by Guest

[PE...]
5 hours ago, [[s...] said:

I wouldn’t want to see a doctor for my knee, it hurts, as does my lower body in general, but by no means should it preclude me from walking or doing things even if it were a significant injury. The sedentary nature of these many, many months, where I often haven’t moved at all, have put me in a very bad position. At this point, I have to wonder if it’s some underlying condition, but I have no strength to go to a doctor, it is that bad, I’d have to have them stretcher me out to the ER, but realistically idk what they can do for me, steroids maybe? I really don’t know, it’s not like I’m getting surgery or am bleeding out, so I’d probably have to get blood drawn, ct scan, ect and still likely wouldn’t have much of an answer, all the while doing this would set me back months if not permanently given my physical state.  My only real shot is to rehab myself, I’ve done telehealth, I’ve tried PTs but they can’t do much for me cause I can’t even get through a couple minutes of the session. I do one exercise and have to rest for days on end. I’ll provide updates as they come in case my unlikely scenario helps a fellow user here, but as of now things are looking grim.

If you're in so much pain you can't go to a doctor by your self, or even walk, you should call an ambulance. It's not sounding as it will just get fixed by it self right?

• Like 1

[ns...]
44 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

If you're in so much pain you can't go to a doctor by your self, or even walk, you should call an ambulance. It's not sounding as it will just get fixed by it self right?

I agree, it may be time to go to er, ambulance, a friend whatever! If you can't get up and move, stretch, walk much what do u think is going to be the outcome. 

The er will keep u, refer you and therapists will help u get back on your feet. 

Please consider this, they know what they are doing.

If you have family or friends who could get u moving that's great, but if you don't, please please call someone to take to a doctor or the er or something. 

I know you don't want to be in a hospital, I get that and of course no one does.

Please consider your options for getting back on your feet ok.

If u can't push yourself to get moving maybe you're injury is deeper than u first thought.

Please find a way to get assistance ok, 

Your in my thoughts, and I hadn't realized you were still in bed this whole week.

Keep us posted ok

Please take care of yourself 

Blessings 

Ns 

• Like 2

[08...]

Before I tweaked my knee I was still not walking, that’s the thing, I didn’t hurt my leg and then stopped walking,  I was in bed for the entire taper process beforehand, as I’d reached tolerance withdrawl. Before benzos I was 100% healthy and athletic. There are a lot of moving parts to my situation and I know it’s difficult for anyone reading this to understand it, as  I cannot even grasp it. The issue I’m facing now, is there’s nothing a doctor can really do, unless I’m missing something here, what can they do to get me moving that I couldn’t do at home, there’s no magic bullet just because I’m under medical supervision, they aren’t going to rehab me at the hospital, and inpatient physical rehab  is reserved for specific illnesses. There are people looking after me to some degree, they haven’t felt the need to call the ambulance on my behalf, and I’m reluctant to call myself as I’m unsure what they can do, I’ve been to the ER several times in the past and they’ve done nothing,  It’s a very bizarre situation. My legs work, I can move them, but for whatever reason they are not building strength, at least not yet, I’ve speculated this is benzo related but then again perhaps not….

[PE...]
3 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

Before I tweaked my knee I was still not walking, that’s the thing, I didn’t hurt my leg and then stopped walking,  I was in bed for the entire taper process beforehand, as I’d reached tolerance withdrawl. Before benzos I was 100% healthy and athletic. There are a lot of moving parts to my situation and I know it’s difficult for anyone reading this to understand it, as  I cannot even grasp it. The issue I’m facing now, is there’s nothing a doctor can really do, unless I’m missing something here, what can they do to get me moving that I couldn’t do at home, there’s no magic bullet just because I’m under medical supervision, they aren’t going to rehab me at the hospital, and inpatient physical rehab  is reserved for specific illnesses. There are people looking after me to some degree, they haven’t felt the need to call the ambulance on my behalf, and I’m reluctant to call myself as I’m unsure what they can do, I’ve been to the ER several times in the past and they’ve done nothing,  It’s a very bizarre situation. My legs work, I can move them, but for whatever reason they are not building strength, at least not yet, I’ve speculated this is benzo related but then again perhaps not….

Hi.

Being our own doctor is a easy trap to fall in to. Just saying.. you can't loose anything with letting a professional have a proper medical checkup.

I mean so you just accepted that you can't move and decided that it's not curable? 

[PE...]

Lots of stuff can be benzo related. But this doesn't sound as one of them. 

[08...]

Yes, I accepted being bedbound as apart of benzo withdrawals. 

[PE...]
Just now, [[s...] said:

Yes, I accepted being bedbound as apart of benzo withdrawals. 

I was bedbound for a some time. But it was due to mental wd issues.