Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The trip is about to begin

I have been on Xanax, Ativan or Clonazepam since 1987. YES… one or the other since 1987! My neurologist says these benzos are causing my migraine headaches. He says I can taper off them and over a 2-3 month period; it should be out of my system. I do not believe that after taking benzos since 1987 they will completely rid themselves from my body in 2-3 months. Anyone have anything to share that may help me to learn how to safely withdraw??? Thank you 🙏🏼

Hello @[Th...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

There are people who can stop these medications with little to no problem, I hope you'll be one of them.  But, I believe you're wise to understand there is a possibility you could face symptoms.  What we've found is it's not the amount of the medication we take, but the time we take it and you've definitely had some time on benzodiazepines.  What is your dose by the way?

I hope your doctor will listen to your concerns because tapering too quickly can be very painful and its difficult to pull our central nervous system out of severe symptoms once that happens.  We suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every few weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow, we've found a patient led, symptom based taper is the best way to stay functional.

There is a possibility this taper will exacerbate your migraines, I've heard from many who suffer with them.

Its important for you to understand since your doctor doesn't that it isn't simply getting the drug out of your system, the problem is the changes the drug made to your brain.  Your GABA receptors have down regulated due to the presence of the drug, it takes a long time to get this function back.  I suggest you educate yourself all you can so you can educate your doctor.  Here is a document he could benefit from.  Benzo-Deperscribing.pdf (corxconsortium.org)

I hope I haven't come on too strong but it worries me that your doctor is so misinformed, we need to make sure you do this right so you won't suffer too much.

@[Pa...]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

There are people who can stop these medications with little to no problem, I hope you'll be one of them.  But, I believe you're wise to understand there is a possibility you could face symptoms.  What we've found is it's not the amount of the medication we take, but the time we take it and you've definitely had some time on benzodiazepines.  What is your dose by the way?

I hope your doctor will listen to your concerns because tapering too quickly can be very painful and its difficult to pull our central nervous system out of severe symptoms once that happens.  We suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every few weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow, we've found a patient led, symptom based taper is the best way to stay functional.

There is a possibility this taper will exacerbate your migraines, I've heard from many who suffer with them.

Its important for you to understand since your doctor doesn't that it isn't simply getting the drug out of your system, the problem is the changes the drug made to your brain.  Your GABA receptors have down regulated due to the presence of the drug, it takes a long time to get this function back.  I suggest you educate yourself all you can so you can educate your doctor.  Here is a document he could benefit from.  Benzo-Deperscribing.pdf (corxconsortium.org)

I hope I haven't come on too strong but it worries me that your doctor is so misinformed, we need to make sure you do this right so you won't suffer too much.

@[Pa...]

The Real Bob, hi, Can u find a physician that will prescribe the current medication/benzo you are taking, maybe a psychiatrist? If you can't get your neuro to work with u or find a doctor who understands benzo withdrawal, I hope u can find a psychiatrist who will take the journey with u in case you need more time with your tapering. You are going to need a prescribing physician, Pamster gave u a link to give to your neuro, if he's no help please give it to any doctor who will listen and is willing to assist in tapering from benzos.

Hopefully you won't need further scripts but in case u do, it's a good Idea to have someone lined up, probably a psychiatrist, they are the ones who are most apt to prescribe medications like benzos as well as understanding the process.

Please know there's always someone here if u have questions or just want to share your experience or just need to talk. 

Take care

Ns

2 hours ago, [[P...] said:

@[Pa...]

Thank you for your reply. I plan on researching all information before beginning the withdrawal process. Again, thank you for taking the time to reply to my comments and I look forward to any further discussion with you. Bob

Hi @[Th...]. Pamster gave a good recommendation -- 5 to 10% every few weeks. Remember that some can taper quicker. If you tolerate that initial rate, you can speed it up. A good start may be to gear your conversations with your physician as referencing a "starting point" with the rate of taper but have an understanding of the need for flexibility. Having a provider that's flexible is quite important.

Wishing you the best. Use this forum and the experience here as a resource.

• Like 1

Thank you @[Nu...] but at this juncture in my life, getting assistance from an M.D. is not in top 1000 list. I have grown to have such a dislike “practicing medicine” the two words alone say it all! I’m doing a great deal of research and will interact with this forum for strategy. Again, thank you and have a great day 🙏🏼

• Like 1