Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Today is surgery day 🥹

Presuming I don’t have a stroke 1st 🤦‍♀️

My entire system is shutting down even though I am trying to psyche myself out, my positive self talk is redundant and not.working.

Any word of encouragement would be appreciated!

“I am a Rockstar , I can do this, I am a Rockstar , I can do this, I am a Rockstar, I can do this…..🥹

• Like 6

@[Ma...], I have no idea how I would feel if I was facing surgery, especially now that I am tapering off a benzo and had a few scary moments in the last, year.

I think talking about it and knowing you aren't alone is a very good thing, no matter what we face in this life.  I know my worst enemy can be me when I try to hide how I'm feeling.  You have friends here, and I'm sure many prayers going out for you.

I'll add one more thing about a scarey thing like surgery to be facing.  I tend to think the worst sometimes, and it's never as bad as I thought, oregonlady :hug:

• Like 1

I can share that I underwent three quite serious surgeries and did fine, which is a miracle as I had just started taking Valium for head and neck pain after a fall.  If I remember correctly, I had a calvarial benign tumor removed from the right side of my cranium in late 2018, and then five months later had an emergency colostomy followed by a reverse colostomy six months later.  It was a lot but I made it through and so will you.

Best of luck from,

Garden Guru

• Like 3

@[Ma...] Anticipating surgery and going through it put extra stress on our brain and body during withdrawal and  it's completely understandable that your anxiety is more intense as a result. Please go easy on yourself and try as far as it's possible to accept that withdrawal symptoms may be more challenging to deal with.  But also, please remember that any uptick in symptoms will resolve in time.  

It may help to practice coping techniques like these:

Breathing techniques:  4-7-8 breathing  Inhale 4 counts; hold 7 counts; exhale 8 counts

Box Breathing:  Inhale very slowly for count of 4; hold count of 4; exhale count of 4; hold count of 4

Positive statements/Prayer - repeating I will not feel this way forever I am safe. I am healing. I am okay

This is from an article I saw this week in the newspaper:

Comfort yourself with touch

From the moment we are born, touch is a source of comfort, for instance, holding the hand of a loved one. You can replicate that ease by placing your right hand above your heart and your left hand on your belly, which reduces levels of cortisol, your body’s main stress hormone.

In one study, participants who used the hand-on-heart technique after giving a short speech or counting backward from 2,043 in increments of 17, both stressful situations, showed a faster reduction in cortisol than those who didn’t use the strategy. Psychologically, this subtle self-compassionate gesture is also a nice reminder to bring kindness to yourself in hard moments.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, [[M...] said:

“I am a Rockstar , I can do this, I am a Rockstar , I can do this, I am a Rockstar, I can do this

@[Ma...],

You absolutely are a Rockstar!  And you definitely can do this!  Praying for you. ❤

8 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Presuming I don’t have a stroke 1st 🤦‍♀️

My entire system is shutting down even though I am trying to psyche myself out, my positive self talk is redundant and not.working.

Any word of encouragement would be appreciated!

“I am a Rockstar , I can do this, I am a Rockstar , I can do this, I am a Rockstar, I can do this…..🥹

@[Ma...], i hope everything is ok by now and you've actually done it!)

Wish you healing🌺

Edited by [...]

You'll be fine, @[Ma...]. I had back surgery (fusing of L4 and L5) on benzos and it did not set back my taper. You may do better than you fear! Best wishes. :hug:

Edited by [or...]

I survived! And now, I sleep 😴.

Thank you for all the encouragement and well wishes. It’s very meaningful and really helped me get through.

Thanks, guys 🙏💕

• Like 2
  • Love 4