Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Extremely sick, scared of antibiotic or steroid reaction.

Hey everyone. I’ve been in tolerance withdrawal from Valium since the first two weeks of January. (Cut off CT in November of last year, reinstated, and even updosed from a 5 mg to a 15 mg. I got relief for a week or two before symptoms came back.)

I currently have twitches, tremors, audible hallucinations, visual hallucinations (colors and dots like I’m about to faint), sweaty hands and feet, multiple panic attacks everyday with hyperventilation, amongst many others. I’m in mild psychosis pretty much. Psychiatrist prescribed me an antipsychotic and I haven’t taken it. 

Over a week ago, I got sick with some type of virus. I went to the doctor and got tested for Covid, influenza and strep throat. All came back negative. Doctor told me to rest and drink fluids. I can’t take cough medicine as it seems to increase my withdrawal symptoms so I’ve just been drinking chamomile tea with honey and lemon, straight honey by itself, and saltwater gargles. 

Unfortunately, none of it is working and I’m only getting sicker after a week. The worst symptom is my excruciating sore throat. It hurts so bad to swallow to the point I cry and almost can’t even drink water or swallow my own saliva. I’m very afraid of getting dehydrated from this as it hurts so badly to drink and swallow in general.

I tried eating yesterday and it was a disaster (pain, food got stuck) so I only was able to drink two nutritional shakes yesterday. I can’t even drink tea anymore. It’s gotten terrible. I’ve been avoiding the emergency room like the plague as I’m afraid of what it is and what medication(s) they’ll give me. 

I’ve heard steroids and antibiotics can cause huge, scary setbacks. I may need it though. I’m immune compromised and cannot get dehydrated and this pain is truly unbearable. I’ve suffered enough as it’s not getting any better, just worse with these natural remedies. 

On top of this, my seven year old daughter is in the hospital admitted with a virus. She was admitted because her oxygen is low. She has to be on oxygen. Her little brother is now coughing too. My fiancé tells me everything will be fine but dehydration is my biggest fear at the moment on top of what this could be and the meds to treat it. 

No pus or anything, just big red irritated clusters of flesh in the back of my throat. It’s truly excruciating swallowing. I take Tylenol as needed for pain but it does not help the pain. 

It’s been virus after virus with this withdrawal. I got over the other ones but this one is sticking around and getting worse. Making everything worse. I’m afraid of the medications but if I need them, I need them. Just felt like I needed to vent as I know those medications can basically throw you back into acute WD. Thanks for reading if you got far enough here. I hope I receive some responses. 

Those red clusters in the back of your throat sound to me like strep and I personally don’t believe it’s’just going to go away’.

Were they there when you had the initial tests done?  I know your fear about antibiotics and such yet if you do have strep or something else you probably really need to attend to it. And isn’t it contagious?

I don’t know, but you really might want to go to an Urgent Care and minimally get tested again.

• Like 2

Hello @[an...],

Wow, your family certainly has been hit with illness. Honestly, there has been a lot going around. Our family had a really bad non covid virus and it took all of us a long time to get over it. 

Some people have reactions to antibiotics and steroids can present with symptoms for people, even those not on benzos. I have a lot of medication allergies but have successfully taken azithromycin while on benzos, in tolerance and withdrawal and when healed. I also tolerate steroids ok, I get flushing, a burst of energy and a little insomnia. 

If you have a virus, antibiotics won’t help. I had to take them because I ended up with a severe sinus infection. If it were me I would get retested. One family member tested 3 times for covid, all negative. If a medication is needed I would take it, any setback should resolve itself. 

I hope everyone in your family started to feel better soon!

• Like 2

The only advice I can give you is that if its life or death then do take the antibiotics.

But remember. No fluroquinonlone family of antibiotics.

Some people are Ok with pencillin types. Others it causes severe acute setbacks even years after withdrawal.

On 25/02/2024 at 05:19, [[a...] said:

Hey everyone. I’ve been in tolerance withdrawal from Valium since the first two weeks of January. (Cut off CT in November of last year, reinstated, and even updosed from a 5 mg to a 15 mg. I got relief for a week or two before symptoms came back.)

I currently have twitches, tremors, audible hallucinations, visual hallucinations (colors and dots like I’m about to faint), sweaty hands and feet, multiple panic attacks everyday with hyperventilation, amongst many others. I’m in mild psychosis pretty much. Psychiatrist prescribed me an antipsychotic and I haven’t taken it. 

Over a week ago, I got sick with some type of virus. I went to the doctor and got tested for Covid, influenza and strep throat. All came back negative. Doctor told me to rest and drink fluids. I can’t take cough medicine as it seems to increase my withdrawal symptoms so I’ve just been drinking chamomile tea with honey and lemon, straight honey by itself, and saltwater gargles. 

Unfortunately, none of it is working and I’m only getting sicker after a week. The worst symptom is my excruciating sore throat. It hurts so bad to swallow to the point I cry and almost can’t even drink water or swallow my own saliva. I’m very afraid of getting dehydrated from this as it hurts so badly to drink and swallow in general.

I tried eating yesterday and it was a disaster (pain, food got stuck) so I only was able to drink two nutritional shakes yesterday. I can’t even drink tea anymore. It’s gotten terrible. I’ve been avoiding the emergency room like the plague as I’m afraid of what it is and what medication(s) they’ll give me. 

I’ve heard steroids and antibiotics can cause huge, scary setbacks. I may need it though. I’m immune compromised and cannot get dehydrated and this pain is truly unbearable. I’ve suffered enough as it’s not getting any better, just worse with these natural remedies. 

On top of this, my seven year old daughter is in the hospital admitted with a virus. She was admitted because her oxygen is low. She has to be on oxygen. Her little brother is now coughing too. My fiancé tells me everything will be fine but dehydration is my biggest fear at the moment on top of what this could be and the meds to treat it. 

No pus or anything, just big red irritated clusters of flesh in the back of my throat. It’s truly excruciating swallowing. I take Tylenol as needed for pain but it does not help the pain. 

It’s been virus after virus with this withdrawal. I got over the other ones but this one is sticking around and getting worse. Making everything worse. I’m afraid of the medications but if I need them, I need them. Just felt like I needed to vent as I know those medications can basically throw you back into acute WD. Thanks for reading if you got far enough here. I hope I receive some responses. 

Annabannana, do u have an infection? If ever you need an antibiotic we use oil of oregano in an infuser. Our sin has lyme and had to take so many antibiotics and of course it was really hard on him. So now we all use oil of oregano. If u can get an infuser I think its called, you fill it with water, plug it in add the oil and put your nose and mouth up to it and breath it in! We used it with covid and it helped us get well quicker. I was in withdrawal and it really helped to get passed that virus. Just a suggestion,  it's a natural antibiotic.

Hope you feel better soon !

Ns