Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help with withdraws

Hi I have been taking 60mg of Xanax per day for about a year. I was put on a detox programme. Starting at 100mg of diazepam reducing it by 5mg per month. I am currently on 30mg but I am experiencing terrible withdraw symptoms/vomiting, lack of appetite, severe headaches/. Could anyone, please, advise me how to deal with them? Thank you 

Sorry about your symptoms we can all relate.  60mg ox Xanax doesn’t equate to 100mg diazepam.  Are u sure the X dosage is correct?  30 mg diazepam is equal to 1.5 mg X per Ashton equivalency chart.   Can u confirm?  In any case your diazepam not enough to cover prior Xanax it seems. 

Edited by [Kh...]

Check the Ashton manual for guidance on taper. Detox programs seem to go too fast.  Hope u feel better soon 

Yes. The 60mg of Xanax I was taking was at my peak of my addiction. I had to be rushed to A&E with severe withdraw symptoms due to delayed delivery of Xanax. I went into a seizure and had to be brought back to life. The doctor told me I was lucky to be alive. Very shortly after I was  discharged the detox started. I am really struggling at the moment. 

@[Ra...], do you reduce the 5 mgs at one time and hold for a month, or is the 5 mg reduction broken up in stages within the month?  Are you directing your taper or is it being managed by someone else and if so, do you have input?  When did you start this taper and do you have previous experience starting and stopping benzodiazepines?

I reduce the amount by 5mg in one go. I have started the detox last January. The Gp would not prescribe the full 100mg of diazepam so I was forced to buy illegal diazepam from different suppliers. The amount the GP was willing to prescribe was 20mg. To answer your last question. Yes I have been addicted to zopiclone and diazepam. I have tried to stop but instead of stopping I went onto Xanax. 

Since you crossed to Xanax from the Zopiclone and diazepam without stopping, you may not be susceptible to  kindling which is good.  Most members have to slow down when they reach the lower doses, I wonder if this is your lower dose and if its time to slow down?

When do symptoms generally hit you and how functional are you during the month?