Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lack of Tinnitus for 3.5 hours lastnight!

It was the weirdest thing as I've had tinnitus (ringing in the ears) 24/7 for about 11-12 years now, but it literally stopped lastnight (35 years on C 1mg)!

I almost felt like something was wrong I've become so accustomed to it.  I just knew right away, and didn't even hope is was gone forever, it did return but so low I could hardly hear it.  It felt so odd not to have it, I think if it was truly gone forever it would take such an adjustment for me.  Not that I don't hope for not having to use an app on my phone beside me whenever I'm at home alone, but like I said, I'm so accustomed to the sound of my app.

I'm not sure it's such a good thing to be comfortable with something that is so abnormal, I don't like being different, not with weird things I have to use weird apps to get through a night especially. 

Has anyone experienced permanent healing from Tinnitus when tapering, or finally jumping off Benzos?  I don't recall ever hearing that here on BB, but like I say, I have so learned to live with this, it really doesn't matter so much that I ever "don't have it".  Also anyone that had it so long as I have? oregonlady

I'm just under the halfway point on my taper btw ;)

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 4

I don’t know how long I can take it.  Only hope it dissipates a bit over time. Been since July when it magically  arrived.  Happy u had some relief. 

• Sad 1

I can't know how loud another's T is @khun Kit, but mine got so loud sometimes I had my app almost on full blast to drown it out. How do you cope with yours if you are ok with talking about it? oregonlady

If you are alone like me, I think it can be easier to use an app like mine, but also if you work or have hopefully noisy family, that would help too ;)

• Like 1

I say it’s about a 7/10. Maybe 8. I am not coping well at the moment.  Anxiety and depression.   I feel broken.    For sleep I have an air filter machine and  a white noise machine that can make rain sounds or whatever.  My wife doesn’t mind it so no problem.  Day time is another matter.  When watching TV I try to tune it out,  when in public the ambient noise helps.  Walking in quiet area like parks etc it’s pretty loud.    I will see audiologist this week to try and get some help.  I do know there are hearing aides, sound maskers, bimodal stimulation, CBT.  I will try all of it probably.  

• Like 2

Remember I had mine a long time, so it took awhile for me to adapt, and I'm not saying everyone can adapt. Sounds like you have a great wife, I have often wondered how I could possibly be married again and have to have my white-noise going on ;)

I would say mine is at about the same level now as when I first got it, so it has to be a case of getting used to it, but, I wouldn't like to have had to try without some whitenoise for quiet times. Almost forgot to there are quite a few different cause for tinnitus, and I don't know about familial/genetic reasons at all. No history to go by for me.

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

Remember I had mine a long time, so it took awhile for me to adapt, and I'm not saying everyone can adapt. Sounds like you have a great wife, I have often wondered how I could possibly be married again and have to have my white-noise going on ;)

I would say mine is at about the same level now as when I first got it, so it has to be a case of getting used to it, but, I wouldn't like to have had to try without some whitenoise for quiet times. Almost forgot to there are quite a few different cause for tinnitus, and I don't know about familial/genetic reasons at all. No history to go by for me.

I firmly believe the Shingrix vaccine caused mine.  2 days after receiving the vaccine it began. Internet searches show other folks experiencing the same.  And medical community has gone out of its way to say there is NO SCIENTIFIC evidence it causes T.  Why would they do that, if weren’t for a ton of complaints? 

Edited by [Kh...]
  • Like 2

I heard, and my doctors actually would not even consider my 2-step Moderna Vaccine had a thing to do with anything going wrong in my body.  I'll never know for sure, but I have to say I do not believe for one minute every issue I have is from a benzo. wd sxs. 

I believe the benzo worked until I became tolerant of the dose, but refused to take more.

Then more and new issues came on in time, and the ones I already had were likely exacerbated by the C Tablet.

Edited by [or...]

I wish we could keep this discussion going.  I miss the Tenacious Tinnitus group.  Lady I can't believe you had T that long.  Im afraid ive let myself go trying to care for my T.  I don't exercise or ride in the car because Im afraid it jacks up my sxs.  I don't push myself to get strong like I used to. Im 4 months post jump and I thought the T would start getting better.  It waxes and wanes and today its a 10, yesterday an 8 and a 7 the day before.  It's on a 3-4 day cycle and no rhyme or reason.  Im praying for all of us and want to offer my support to all that need it.  My other sxss have happily abated. :)

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, [[o...] said:

I heard, and my doctors actually would not even consider my 2-step Moderna Vaccine had a thing to doing with anything going wrong in my body.  I'll never know for sure, but I have to say I do not believe for one minute every issue I have is from a benzo. wd sxs.  I believe the benzo worked until I became tolerant of the dose, but refused to take more.

Then more and new issues came on in time, and the ones I already had were likely exacerbated by the C Tablet.

What is the C tablet, if you can't answer that ...  maybe a hint?  I had the Covid vaccine 3 months before my T started and that was before I started my taper.

4 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

I heard, and my doctors actually would not even consider my 2-step Moderna Vaccine had a thing to doing with anything going wrong in my body.  I'll never know for sure, but I have to say I do not believe for one minute every issue I have is from a benzo. wd sxs.  I believe the benzo worked until I became tolerant of the dose, but refused to take more.

Sounds very similar to my experience.  And doctors refuse to acknowledge even the possibility these vaccines are dangerous.  I took it because friends did, even tho I had been somewhat anti vax.   Can’t turn back the clock unfortunately.  But I am miserable.  I too can’t seem to do a bunch of stuff I used to. Hope some of my other withdrawal symptoms abate so I can focus on the T..it’s all so interconnected now.  

Edited by [Kh...]
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Sounds very similar to my experience.  And doctors refuse to acknowledge even the possibility these vaccines are dangerous.  I took it because friends did, even tho I had been somewhat anti vax.   Can’t turn back the clock unfortunately.  But I am miserable.  I too can’t seem to do a bunch of stuff I used to. Hope some of my other withdrawal symptoms abate so I can focus on the T..it’s all so interconnected now.  

I am making my wife so stressed to.  She is doing a lot of work for me and it’s wearing her out.  Makes me feel burdensome. So sad 

8 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

I wish we could keep this discussion going.  I miss the Tenacious Tinnitus group.  Lady I can't believe you had T that long.  Im afraid ive let myself go trying to care for my T.  I don't exercise or ride in the car because Im afraid it jacks up my sxs.  I don't push myself to get strong like I used to. Im 4 months post jump and I thought the T would start getting better.  It waxes and wanes and today its a 10, yesterday an 8 and a 7 the day before.  It's on a 3-4 day cycle and no rhyme or reason.  Im praying for all of us and want to offer my support to all that need it.  My other sxss have happily abated. :)

I have found the more distractions I can create for myself, the more I've become adapted, I guess that's what to call it, use to it.  Just baby steps, it's all I did, and for me after the 10-12 years, I probably "only" got more adapted in the last couple years.  I did try to fight it though with anger, and crying.  I felt hopeless many times, then I learned a lot by just trial and error.  I knew it got worse when I focused on it in other words.

It helped to have my little app, but that wasn't a permanent fix I wanted to do, so nutrition, exercise, and tapering off here with my peers has already helped me spend a whole 3.5 hours without Tinnitus, and looking forward to possible healing, I think.  It's weird how I felt so funny it not being there last night.  Almost like I'd lost something that was a necessary part of me, which is I'm sure, a lie ;)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

I'm not looking back much these days, well, on a sad love-life maybe, but hey I did the best I could ;)  What's done is done, and most of my focus these days is "what can I do to help my situation, without interfering in my bodies healing" ?

• Like 1

I am also having ear pain and pressure and head tigtness and heaviness and fog.  The combination of these with the T is maddening 

• Like 1

I have Alexa playing cicadas (sleep sound) 24/7 in 4 rooms of my house.  However, I find that when Im not at home, I get a bit anxious not having that sound.  Ive started using my ear buts to play music when Im out.  Oddly, regarding spouses, after complaining to my spouse about my T, he told me that he has it too and just had never mentioned it.  Its not as bad, loud and persistent as mine but it give me a bit of comfort knowing he gets it.  Sometimes we even compare....  "how's your T today?"   and I always win.  He isn't immobilized by his however and he's done a great job.  His is from loud music back in the day tho.  Life is weird.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

I have dark and intrusive thoughts when I think about the future with this malady 

I used to have those thoughts but now I use a gratitude journal,  Sappy I know but it helps me adapt.  The bad thoughts will make it worse.  

1 minute ago, [[A...] said:

I have Alexa playing cicadas (sleep sound) 24/7 in 4 rooms of my house.  However, I find that when Im not at home, I get a bit anxious not having that sound.  Ive started using my ear buts to play music when Im out.  Oddly, regarding spouses, after complaining to my spouse about my T, he told me that he has it too and just had never mentioned it.  Its not as bad, loud and persistent as mine but it give me a bit of comfort knowing he gets it.  Sometimes we even compare....  "how's your T today?"   and I always win.  He isn't immobilized by his however and he's done a great job.  His is from loud music back in the day tho.  Life is weird.

Funny my wife has had it for years and I never gave it any respect.  She seems to have overcome it somehow. She’s a trouper wow 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, [[K...] said:

I have dark and intrusive thoughts when I think about the future with this malady 

It's funny how we are all so different, but yet share so many things as well.  My intrusive thoughts are regrets from my past, like, oh why can't I have a do-over ;)  I feel amazingly positive about my future, because of what I choose to believe.  I believe I will get better, because I am already getting better.

That's not to say I don't think there are rough times ahead, when my taper gets tinier and tinier!  And jumping of??  Wow, that can seem like a monster at the end of the tunnel. But mostly I just stay in today, don't like future-tripping ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, [[A...] said:

I used to have those thoughts but now I use a gratitude journal,  Sappy I know but it helps me adapt.  The bad thoughts will make it worse.  

If some of the other symptoms would subside so I can see what it’s like when feeling better, maybe it will be easier to cope.  But with all of it together I am struggling 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Really the only thing keeping me going is my wife. 

I'm glad for that but I don't think you are giving yourself enough of the credit.  I think it would be wonderful to have a supportive husband that did exactly that, support me in my own decisions :) but help me understand another, maybe helpful view :)

Edited by [or...]

6 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

I'm glad for that but I don't think you are giving yourself enough of the credit.  I think it would be wonderful to have a supportive husband that did exactly that, support me in my own decisions :) but help me understand another, maybe helpful view :)

Credit for screwing up our lives.  I am not feeling it.  We worked and saved to have a happy retirement and I blew it. All the money in the world can’t help me.  What a shame. Sorry I feeling down and dejected.  😞 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

If some of the other symptoms would subside so I can see what it’s like when feeling better, maybe it will be easier to cope.  But with all of it together I am struggling 

I can't remember, are u done tapering?  Im 4 months post jump and my only sxs of note are t and a bit of cognitive.   But the t is overwhelming a lot of the time.

Just now, [[K...] said:

Credit for screwing up our lives.  I am not feeling it.  We worked and saved to have a happy retirement and I blew it. All the money in the world can’t help me.  What a shame. Sorry I feeling down and dejected.  😞 

I go through those really bad times too, I'm sorry if I wasn't more sympathetic because I do have so many regrets at times, I can cry off and on all day over things I wish had been done different :hug: