Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Insomnia caused by Beta Blocker with solution

Hi,

I am 69 years old tapering from valium.
I had severe insomnia for days where I would not sleep all night. 
I would see weird patterns perfectly symetrical designs.  I would be on the verge of dropping off to sleep 💤 and would be jolted  awake over and over again.  My blood pressure was low and I was on Lisinopril as well as the beta blocker so decided to stop the beta blocker and lo and behold I was then able to sleep thankfully !

here is a link to one of the studies from the national library of medicines 

Night-time exogenous melatonin administration may be a beneficial treatment for sleeping disorders in beta blocker patients

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195193/#:~:text=Sleep disorders are the common,inhibition of adrenergic beta1-receptors.

Once I realized my insomnia was caused by the beta blocker (I had no idea this was causing insomnia) for me, I researched beta blockers and insomnia and was shocked to see that beta blockers reduce melatonin (a hormone produced by the body required for sleep) especially in older adults. I absolutely believe this was causing my insomnia although I am sure for most, benzo withdrawal is the biggest factor. Months later I had a mild heart attack and the doctor insisted that I go on beta blockers again. I told him about the issue I had with sleeping and he suggested I take 5 to 10 mg of melatonin with the beta blocker each night. i nervously tried this as I heard melatonin may cause issues with benzo withdrawal users but it worked fine for me.
I am giving you the facts what worked for me so if you are old and take beta blockers and have lots of insomnia, you may want to research beta blockers and insomnia, and talk to your doctor to see if taking melatonin supplements to replace the melatonin reduced in your body by the beta blockers and allow you to sleep 😴 better is appropriate for you.

Edited by [Re...]
Add link to study

I take a beta blocker for high blood pressure and take it at night because it gets me relaxed and sleep better.

beta blockers do slow down your heart rate and relax you.

But they also reduce the melatonin in your body this is proven in studies.
You may have enough melatonin in your system, not sure your age, that you can still sleep fine but for me, I needed the extra melatonin. I am 100% sure that this beta blocker was causing my insomnia and the melatonin supplement allowed me to take beta blockers and still sleep. This is not something that you need if you do not have insomnia and take beta blockers. Hope this helps. 

Edited by [Re...]
  • Like 1