Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Clonazepam equivalent dose/jump dose

Why is Clonazepam always listed as 1-2mg as the equivalent dose of 20 mg of Valium?  It seems like the internet is more definitive about the equivalent dose of other benzos (2 for Xanax, 4 for Ativan, etc). The Ashton manual goes with 1 mg for 20 of Valium.  I guess the only reason I care is the jump dose.  With that broad range, a 1 mg Valium jump dose as suggested in Ashton would equate to either .05 or .1 of Clonazepam which is a big difference.  I also know people go even lower, down to .025 so just trying to figure out what I’m going to do when I get down that low.  

Edited by [Ma...]

30 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Why is Clonazepam always listed as 1-2mg as the equivalent dose of 20 mg of Valium?  It seems like the internet is more definitive about the equivalent dose of other benzos (2 for Xanax, 4 for Ativan, etc). The Ashton manual goes with 1 mg for 20 of Valium.  I guess the only reason I care is the jump dose.  With that broad range, a 1 mg Valium jump dose as suggested in Ashton would equate to either .05 or .1 of Clonazepam which is a big difference.  I also know people go even lower, down to .025 so just trying to figure out what I’m going to do when I get down that low.  

It seems to me it's because of opinions, yet some "studies" can't really be for every single person, if it's true that we are all different :idiot:  I just truly believe we have to decide our dosages when tapering, and when getting any prescription at all, we have no idea how it's going to affect our own body.  I think having a "ball-park" idea is super important, that's why I like to read a lot, or listen to other opinions on youtube, etc.

But I am one of the fortunate that got to BB, and many peers that I really trust more than articles and videos from "well meaning" folks that have no personal experience with benzos.  Seems everyone, non-peers, want to be on the band-wagon to tell us that have no actual experience, what we should do. 

I won't ever again put my whole life into the hands of someone else.  My doctor will either accept me as a partner in my healing or I'll find another.  Again, I'm a very lucky woman to have those choices, I know some don't at all.

Maybe I'm "too" independent, but it serves me well, especially with my taper and dealing with my doctor, although I got really lucky to find a new one recently, that is very wise, but I can tell he really doesn't know.  He's smart enough to recognize someone that is totally committed to getting off the drug, oregonlady

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, [[M...] said:

I'm not sure which conversion refers to 1-2mg as equal to 20mg Valium. 1mg is certainly closer to 20mg Valium. I do understand the basis of your question though. This calculator we generally use refers to a range. 

The way I understand from what Colin explained (and I might not communicate it accurately) is that Ashton is on the higher end of the conversion scale because she compensates for withdrawal symptoms in crossovers in her conversions. 

When it comes to jump dose I have always based it on Ashton saying "take the plunge at 0.5mg" Valium. Some people jump higher at 1mg because her tapering tables stop at 1mg Valium. 

0.5mg Valium equals 0.025mg Clonazepam and 1mg Valium equals 0.05mg Clonazepam on Ashton calculations. This is based on Ashton's jump recommendation and Ashton's own conversions in relation to her own work, not external calculators or sources. 

I jumped at 0.025mg. It felt right to me. I think anywhere between zero and 0.05mg is fine.  

A big part of it is psychological and you'll see when you get there. It's really important that you are psychologically ready to jump because there's a lot of anxiety involved. You'll have to be comfortable with the number to alleviate anxiety and not ramping up symptoms. But in the end we all get there and you'll find your jumping dose. 

16 hours ago, [[j...] said:

You'll have to be comfortable with the number to alleviate anxiety and not ramping up symptoms

I think the part I’ll have to be comfortable with is the “I’m not taking ANY pill anymore” which is both exciting and scary to me.  Kinda like the bird flying out of the nest forever.  I know from reading that at those really low doses, the drug really isn’t doing much of anything for me (except keeping me from withdrawing).  

23 hours ago, [[o...] said:

I got really lucky to find a new one recently, that is very wise, but I can tell he really doesn't know.  He's smart enough to recognize someone that is totally committed to getting off the drug

I relate to this.  My doctor will tell me I could probably stay on a low dose forever and be fine, but that also many people feel better once they are off.  Regardless, he is supportive in writing me for my medication and getting off slowly so for that I am grateful.  I’m also stockpiling pills though, because if he retires or dies or whatever, who knows how hard it will be to get someone to be patient with me like this again.  Right now, I’ve got at least 8 months worth supply because he is still writing me for 1 mg…lol.  Underhanded I know but I’m not taking any chances on running out in the future.  

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1

I also have back-up to be honest here.  I've read too many horror stories, so I don't play God with myself and put total faith in anything without having a backup plan.  I know what you are saying.

I do fully understand that Tolerance Withdrawal is what caused me the most damage, I really believe that, so I doubt I ever agree to stay on the benzo.  I was on 35 years of 1mg C tablet, and wondered why some of the bad things happening to me were exactly what the drug was prescribed to me for, such as anxiety, rage, fear, panic etc. Explanation seems to be almost universal agreement, Tolerance Withdrawal.

Also had a 3rd degree AV Node block in 97, about 9 years after I started the C, then T2 Diabetes, extreme tremors in head and hands, osteoporosis.  No meds will I take for any of my issues, as I won't go through this again because of what I believe now.  I forgot, I did try Propranalol, but quit after 3 or 4 days.  Didn't want to take the risk.

We have to be wise, but super responsible in our tapers, it's for quality of life, that we are dealing with, oregonlady :hug:PS I'm 71 now, and looking forward to the rest of my life, even at my age ;)