Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Movements

I have been wondering about this stupid current I have down my spine. On some days it’s there all the time like this steady electric pressure down my spine going into my arms and legs. It buzzes in my head and deep inside my torso. It almost burns at the back of my head where it originates. But I am wondering if it is some kind of dystonic or dyskinetic shit. Or maybe it’s what akathisia is for me. When the pressure is bad keep getting these urges to hmm jolt, shudder, flex, twitch my arm/leg. It happens somewhere every few seconds. Now my legs are totally relaxed but earlier on they felt bad too. I don’t have to rock or pace but this current makes me want to do something to release the electric energy. It feels as if it were stronger it would move me by itself but so far it keeps making me have to make these movements or the pressure and pain builds up badly. So it’s not involuntary in that my body doesn’t move without my will but I feel like I have to do these movements to relieve the pressure and I developed this habit where I let my body do the jolts and I started wondering if that’s still voluntary. I hope it makes sense.

Edited by [Wi...]

I need to add though that I don’t really experience the terror on a daily basis (had it a few times), to me it’s all physical (neurological). My heart is not racing. I do get vibrations and sometimes when they are in my stomach or chest it does feel a bit agitating but the electrical crap from the spine is way worse. My mind is at peace, my body is going haywire. 

Edited by [Wi...]

I've got the electrical current down the spine big time today. It is all on my right side, same as my head symptoms. I was poking and prodding around with my fingers at the back of my head and I think I can identify the exact point where it originates, not that it helps to know that!  So instead of massaging my head I've been "hula-hooping" my hips, don't know why, a form of benzo induced madness no doubt! That didn't help either but helped use up a bit of time!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

I've got the electrical current down the spine big time today. It is all on my right side, same as my head symptoms. I was poking and prodding around with my fingers at the back of my head and I think I can identify the exact point where it originates, not that it helps to know that!  So instead of massaging my head I've been "hula-hooping" my hips, don't know why, a form of benzo induced madness no doubt! That didn't help either but helped use up a bit of time!

It’s the worst thing for me. It runs all the other symptoms for me. Today I have been flexing muscles in my stomach and arms and shoulders. I get why the hula hooping would seem like it would help, I want to do that when my hips and buttocks flare. Awful shit. 

Oh God you're doing strange flexing movements as well. Can you imagine if our neighbours caught sight of us in our living rooms. We must look totally bonkers. 

Actually there was a method in my hula-hooping madness, basically to work the other end of the spine, much the same way as cranio-sacral therapy works. Everything is connected and I thought the movement might be more subtle for my neck and head muscles if approached from the other end

• Like 1

Just now, [[W...] said:

Oh God you're doing strange flexing movements as well. Can you imagine if our neighbours caught sight of us in our living rooms. We must look totally bonkers. 

Actually there was a method in my hula-hooping madness, basically to work the other end of the spine, much the same way as cranio-sacral therapy works. Everything is connected and I thought the movement might be more subtle for my neck and head muscles if approached from the other end

Yeah not every day but today I had so much pressure in my body that I started doing that. It feels natural to be doing it. In the past the first time I had aka from wd before the setback I had urge to stretch and flex the muscles in my forearms, it felt a bit different than now and it affected only that part. Now my body is more like it wants short jerky movements because of this pulsating shit with pressure. The places change. Sometimes legs, then arms, then stomach, chest.
What a load of crap!  

• Like 1

You know I have this too and honestly, I do not really think it's any of the extrapyramidals, I think it's just the body healing from an electrical nerve injury.  If you think about it, nerves are responsible for all of those feelings.  It's funny it originates in the spine for most of us, there are some theories I've heard esp around psychedelics that drugs are stored in the spine long after they exit the body... coincidence?  I'm not sure.  But yeah my spine is severely injured without being able to see that injury.. which leads me to believe it's an electrical imbalance or just internal nerve damage. 

Anyways, i could go on about what I think this is all day, but I don't think it's TD or akathisia.  Common TD symptoms are lip smacking, neck twisting, sticking out the tongue etc. Involuntarily too is the key.  Akathisia usually is accompanied by a super severe sense of restlessness and urgency for something, as well as agitation and dysphoria.  If you have to move voluntarily that sounds make like akathisia but again, there are a myriad of painful symptoms that make you uncomfortable and want to twist and turn, if you're not moving bcuz of restlessness it doesn't sound like aka either.  When I have aka the movement is 100% becuz I'm internally restless 100/10 and getting comfortable is a sick joke.

I don't know if this gives you any peace of mind, but I think the reason it sounds like aka is most people also have a drug injury so they report those symptoms too sometimes.  Also, like I said, whatever we call it.. it sucks! even if it is it's okay.. aka can last awhile but goes away 99.9% of the time.. td is another story but it doesn't sound like that at all. So I think this will resolve for us :)

Also one more thing, do either of you guys get the feeling like a rusty razor blade is just chipping at your spine?  Ewww I have that right now and it's so disgusting it makes me wanna puke

• Like 1

7 hours ago, [[S...] said:

You know I have this too and honestly, I do not really think it's any of the extrapyramidals, I think it's just the body healing from an electrical nerve injury.  If you think about it, nerves are responsible for all of those feelings.  It's funny it originates in the spine for most of us, there are some theories I've heard esp around psychedelics that drugs are stored in the spine long after they exit the body... coincidence?  I'm not sure.  But yeah my spine is severely injured without being able to see that injury.. which leads me to believe it's an electrical imbalance or just internal nerve damage. 

Anyways, i could go on about what I think this is all day, but I don't think it's TD or akathisia.  Common TD symptoms are lip smacking, neck twisting, sticking out the tongue etc. Involuntarily too is the key.  Akathisia usually is accompanied by a super severe sense of restlessness and urgency for something, as well as agitation and dysphoria.  If you have to move voluntarily that sounds make like akathisia but again, there are a myriad of painful symptoms that make you uncomfortable and want to twist and turn, if you're not moving bcuz of restlessness it doesn't sound like aka either.  When I have aka the movement is 100% becuz I'm internally restless 100/10 and getting comfortable is a sick joke.

I don't know if this gives you any peace of mind, but I think the reason it sounds like aka is most people also have a drug injury so they report those symptoms too sometimes.  Also, like I said, whatever we call it.. it sucks! even if it is it's okay.. aka can last awhile but goes away 99.9% of the time.. td is another story but it doesn't sound like that at all. So I think this will resolve for us :)

So yours is in the spine too? The electric pulsing? Not too many people have this but I know at least three people who have had this. One of them said she had it when pacing calmed down for her but yeah I guess it may have been just another symptom of CNS gone haywire. I feel my brain and spinal cord are misfiring. But when I asked in some aka group a while ago people didn’t really respond so it baffled me. 

I don’t know I am pretty sure this is some variant of aka but run by the electrical sensations I cannot ignore. Maybe it’s on the spectrum, I don’t know.  I really hope this will go because it has become this bad in this wave. But def when I move, I move because of these uncomfortable sensations but I wouldn’t call that restlessness. It really plays with my mind that I don’t know what this is.

I had it all before but it got 10x worse in the last 2 months. I don’t know if it was the hormones from stopping breastfeeding or the probiotic or just how this shit goes but it scares me it’s been 1,5 years and I only got worse. It makes me think something is permanently broken in my CNS. 

6 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Also one more thing, do either of you guys get the feeling like a rusty razor blade is just chipping at your spine?  Ewww I have that right now and it's so disgusting it makes me wanna puke

Oh it does sound disgusting. I don’t have this but sometimes I feel something like this on my scalp. 

Edited by [Wi...]

13 hours ago, [[W...] said:

I have been wondering about this stupid current I have down my spine. On some days it’s there all the time like this steady electric pressure down my spine going into my arms and legs. It buzzes in my head and deep inside my torso. It almost burns at the back of my head where it originates. But I am wondering if it is some kind of dystonic or dyskinetic shit. Or maybe it’s what akathisia is for me. When the pressure is bad keep getting these urges to hmm jolt, shudder, flex, twitch my arm/leg. It happens somewhere every few seconds. Now my legs are totally relaxed but earlier on they felt bad too. I don’t have to rock or pace but this current makes me want to do something to release the electric energy. It feels as if it were stronger it would move me by itself but so far it keeps making me have to make these movements or the pressure and pain builds up badly. So it’s not involuntary in that my body doesn’t move without my will but I feel like I have to do these movements to relieve the pressure and I developed this habit where I let my body do the jolts and I started wondering if that’s still voluntary. I hope it makes sense.

I had to move 15 hours a day @[Wi...] for the whole last year. Like a maniac walking back and forward in my home. Gave me so much pain in my lower legs i was limping.

2 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

I had to move 15 hours a day @[Wi...] for the whole last year. Like a maniac walking back and forward in my home. Gave me so much pain in my lower legs i was limping.

I am so sorry. I hope it’s better now. 

Just now, [[W...] said:

I am so sorry. I hope it’s better now. 

Yes it is

I can finally sit like a human again

I seen those wild animals trapped in a small cage pacing. It was just like that. Restless sleep for a couple of hours and run up and pacing, for months.

@[Wi...] I'll answer more tomorrow but yes I get it in my spine, for me it's more on the pressure/spine being chipped away at by a pickaxe than it is electric but that part of it too.. my spine also tingles and vibrates .. it's weird it comes in waves.  And I'm sure it's from stopping breastfeeding, my periods make it 100x worse.

On 23/02/2024 at 17:46, [[S...] said:

Soapybits,

No it's not like that. It's like being plugged in to an electrical socket! You literally feel like there are sparklers or cut wires sparking throughout your body. 

At least.thats what I'm feeling 

Edited by [ns...]
Addition

I have both variations. Sometimes it feels like pressure that pulses down my back, like someone is plugging and unplugging me, or pumping me with air, it’s what forces me to have the jolty movements. Sometimes it’s more of electrical buzzing and vibrations but I get the pulsating more often and the pulsating is more distressing. Both are terrible. 

Edited by [Wi...]

Oh yeah I get the pressure and pumped with air a lotttt.  The electricity happens but just not as often as the other two.  I also have jolting movement, my limbs randomly twitch and at times I'll even wake myself up from it.  I hear ya.  

Actually, I'm not even sure if the electricity happens less or if it just bothers me the least, the pressure and esp the grinding in my spine bother me so bad tho that they actually effect my quality of life and make me just wanna curl up in a ball and cry /: luckily like I said it usually comes and goes in long waves tho so there is at least small breaks.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

Oh yeah I get the pressure and pumped with air a lotttt.  The electricity happens but just not as often as the other two.  I also have jolting movement, my limbs randomly twitch and at times I'll even wake myself up from it.  I hear ya.  

Actually, I'm not even sure if the electricity happens less or if it just bothers me the least, the pressure and esp the grinding in my spine bother me so bad tho that they actually effect my quality of life and make me just wanna curl up in a ball and cry /: luckily like I said it usually comes and goes in long waves tho so there is at least small breaks.

For me there are different types of electricity even. It’s ridiculous.

First type is the pressure pulsating this painless force down my body. The pressurized pumped with air feeling we both have. It might not be what many call electricity but I consider it that as the brain sends some energy down so it has to do with electricity for sure. The back of my head actually feels electrified like something is misfiring and it runs the pulsating, maybe it’s the grinding you are describing. It’s like my scalp is squeezing, like snakes are in it. I hate this sooo much, it’s overwhelming especially when I am upright for some reason. I can almost hear the force of this in my head. The pressure for me goes either down my back, sometimes into my limbs and then it’s the pulsating, or it goes sort of into my head and it feels like I have an electrical storm in my brain. The pressure in this situation moves to the sides of my head, my forehead, face and the top of my head and it feels like my brain is about to pop. I get severely overstimulated with this and I have a ton of nerve pain in my head and face. Once in a while the pressure will cause a terrible surge either in my head or somewhere down the spine. It’s like some energy explodes or like my brain is falling or something is pulling it, yuck.  
This is weird but the pressure sometimes changes into what I call pressurized burning inside my brain and spinal cord and major nerves. It’s like the back of my head and neck get this weird burning inside like heartburn under the skin. And just like pressure it spreads in the exact same way into my lower legs, my upper legs and butt, into my chest or stomach or neck or brain. It travels and lights up in certain sports. It’s very odd. Hard to describe. 

The second thing is vibrations and they come and go and they aren’t too bad very often, when they happen they can get pretty bad in my stomach/chest because it feels like something is bubbling in me. They sometimes extend to what feels like my bones resonating in my hips and legs for example. When vibrations come they usually affect the entire backside from my head down to my legs, just sometimes they focus somewhere more. Unless they are in my brain or stomach it’s not as distressing and I can handle them.

The other type is the buzzing tingling feeling in my lower legs and sometimes higher, it comes with RLS. Moving my legs takes the sensations away, but as soon as I stop - it’s back. I hate this but it’s usually there for up to a day and then gives me a break for a few. Or sometimes it’s there for a shorter while a few days in a row. That’s bad but definitely not the worst symptom. 

The worst type is what I call a layer of electricity. I described it in my main thread but it’s something like all of a sudden something switches in my brain and I get aware of a layer of electricity between my skin and insides in my head and in the rest of my body. It usually comes during the absolute worst waves. When I don’t have it I can barely remember the sensation because it’s so foreign. When it’s there it’s like I am in an altered state waiting for a seizure or something. I cannot move when it happens, just stay in bed and brace myself. I am all electrified like static electricity but on the inside, weird, I know. Everything misfires, like all my nerve cells are miscommunicating. No freaking idea what that is but that is the absolute worst symptom followed by the pressure. 

That’s so ridiculous really. Before the setback I only had mild vibrations from time to time and some buzzing. The rest started after my setback from clomiphene and an antibiotic. And it got worse with time. But I hope that now that my hormones are getting back to normal it will start to calm the f down. I did have a terrible wave in a way similar to this one at the same time last year and I also thought it would never lift but it did back in April. However, the wave I am in now is quite a bit worse, way more severe. It really freaks me out. 

Edited by [Wi...]
  • Like 1

Again, I will answer this more later, I just wanted to say real quick it's very curious to me you say that the pressure and grinding are worse when you are upright, I'm the opposite and they happen more when I lay down.  Probably just benzo withdrawal slapping me in the face again saying I can never relax lol.  But that's really ironic.  I also saw someone ask on a thread of their burning happened at sunset when "hormones change" I didn't know that was a thing but all these symptoms are worse after sunset for me.  I use to think it was from taking my meds but it'll happen before that too.

37 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

Again, I will answer this more later, I just wanted to say real quick it's very curious to me you say that the pressure and grinding are worse when you are upright, I'm the opposite and they happen more when I lay down.  Probably just benzo withdrawal slapping me in the face again saying I can never relax lol.  But that's really ironic.  I also saw someone ask on a thread of their burning happened at sunset when "hormones change" I didn't know that was a thing but all these symptoms are worse after sunset for me.  I use to think it was from taking my meds but it'll happen before that too.

Sure, take your time. For me it’s just that head sensations get worse when I am up because everything overstimulates me somehow and it revvs me, that’s why I am stuck at home now. My head just gets wild when I try to push through! Vibrations are obviously worse when I am still. 

We are all different herbs similar. 

Yeah, I guess I didn't have much to add than that but I really can't say if the pressure or gnawing is worse.  They are both my top symptom at the moment.  For sure a greater amount in the evenings and during my period, I heard someone say your hormones fluctuate in the evenings so thats why I say I could bet your worsening is from hormones.. it's easy to underestimate how much those things can effect us, I did for a long time.  

I get everything you're talking about besides the electricity beneath my skin, I'm so sorry you go thru that it sounds awful.. no doubt our nerves are just trying to connect to each other and coming up short.  Or something weird with nerves.  I don't know for sure.

& yes it's so weird, many people have pointed out some people get depressive types of symptoms where they are bedbound, some excited where they can't sit still.. and we are all jealous of the other lol.  No fun either way.