Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Double vision and no doctor yet pls help

I'm on 3mg ativan nightly and having bad tolerance symptoms. Mostly concerned about my double vision that is steadily getting worse. Ophthalmology have said there are no issues they could detect. I haven't found a doctor yet who will slow taper me. Found a very expensive rehab center in another city who mentioned ashton manual and am making plans to travel tomorrow and ask them about the process. 

If the administration team or any other members have any resources about doctors in India, pls help me out.

I'm losing hope. Will my vision repair itself or is it an irreversible change? Given that I haven't even started my taper yet.

I'm breaking down. 😞

This is a very common symptom and it will heal once off and healed. If the doctor said your eyes are healthy they are and it's the benzo injury causing the common symptom. Hang in there. 

• Like 1

@[...]

Hi there,

I would think very carefully if I were you before going to this rehab center. Only because the real main objective, I would say, in your position would be to become more stable. The rehab center could have an idea about how to go about this, but in my view a rehab center for something like this just isn’t worth it and could potentially cause more harm. Just my thoughts, definitely do what you think is right.

You’re on a short acting benzo in Ativan, which I’ve learned with Xanax can lead to both inter dose withdrawal and I even believe quicker tolerance symptoms than longer acting benzos.

My advice would be to find people/coaches who have been through what you are experiencing and have made it through. They may even be able to get you in contact with a psych that will work collectively with you and the coach.

I’ve learned that it’s not a sprint when it comes to coming off of benzos, it’s a delicate balance/dance. And so, please do research on the subject and make careful decisions before doing anything drastic that may put you in a worse position than you’re already in. If you have any questions about anything here please let me know!!

You will get through.

Side note: I’ve had so many symptoms come and go at this point, I have no doubt your vision will eventually improve with time and the correct care.

Edited by [Mi...]
  • Like 2

I have two questions when it comes to self tapering.

1. In December, I had a situation where I did not have my 3mg Ativan and instead took 2mg Restyl. I woke up at 6am and had a severe blackout. So I'm not sure about staying on ativan for a taper or from what I read here, moving to a long lasting benzo.

2. As the symptoms increase, what about supporting medication? I may need help with that. 

These are two pressing medical issues on my mind. Pls advise! 🙏 

@[...]

@[je...] makes a really good point as to why did you not have your Ativan? One of the most important parts of this journey is to have a doctor (most commonly a psych) completely on board with a patient led taper. I know those are hard to find. Luckily, I have a coach who was able to connect me with one.

As to other medications, I have somehow managed not to take anything else whilst going through horrific symptoms. I personally believe that the addition of extra medications is not a good idea (unless absolutely necessary to keep you alive). This is because I would say all of them have their own issues and withdrawal problems. Some more than others. They may not even help at all, or potentially make you worse.

Please educate yourself as much as possible on this subject, as that is key to finding your correct path to be free from the Ativan and thriving.

Edited by [Mi...]

I ran out of stock of Ativan. I was on Restyl for a couple if years before Ativan. Here, I don't need a prescription. So, i thought I could make do with Restyl until I could buy Ativan again. That did not work as per that nights experience. It's not a problem to get Ativan for me. 

I guess I still have to look for a psychiatrist.

As for taper coaches, do you know anyone who works internationally?