Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Zanax ER for 20 years

I am certainly glad I found this site. I have been reading stories and still am very overwhelmed by what I’m reading, seeing, and feeling.

i tried to update my history in profile but I guess a new member can’t do this yet?

panic attacks 20 years ago and first prescribed Ativan. I could not believe how good that felt. The first sleep was magical that night. 
when that was removed and no longer prescribed I went to Tijuana, Mexico and no problems getting it there.

5 years later I was prescribed Xanax ER 1 mg daily. 15 years of this and life was pretty good. Got married had a perfect child and started a business. I learned to live with my panic attacks and cognitive therapy 12 years ago. I admitted to my daily Zanax use and he said all is good why change it.  It’s only 1 mg right?

August 2023 Sharp Rees Stealy suddenly believes this is no good for me and stops my doctor from prescribing. I panic and ask for help. He says California has new rules and I need to get a physiatrist to prescribe.  He says he will switch to tegular Zanax until I get my appointment scheduled with physiatrist. 
I suddenly start getting daily panic attacks and think I am losing my mind and have encountered a new mental disease. My therapist said no it’s just PTSD as we have been working on for 12 years.

Appointment with new physiatrist January 23rd 2023  says Zanax is not indicated for sleep and says I am not going to be able to stop benzodiazepines after this length of time and prescribes Lexapro 5 mg nightly. Worst two weeks of my life  I stop the crazy med and continue the Zanax and suddenly it does not work anymore  

last Saturday I am researching this mystery benzo use and come across benzo buddies.  I read all weekend and get some hope and a lot of fear for what I am about to take on as a withdrawal member here  

I am not prepared to start yet but I am fully motivated to stop Zanax and maybe it’s not all PTSD 

very mad at my doctors right now and typing furiously so excuse my abrupt and succinct sentences 

I have a feeling you will be hearing from me a lot  

Thanks for all the support I have been reading so far for others 

Jan

Hello @[Ja...],

Welcome to Benzobuddies.

I am so sorry for everything that you have experienced.  It can be quite a shock when we first learn the full truth about these drugs and how little some doctors seem to know about them.  It was for me and most of us here have been right where you are now.  I am so glad that you found our site to be so helpful.  There are a lot of caring, knowledgeable folks here who can help you through this process.  Let us know how we can support you.

Im sorry. Im no professional but i dont believe you have ptsd.

See the thing is with benzos is they can turn on you like a snake. All of a sudden they become paradoxial and actually start panic attacks like happened to me. Used xanax for 2 years daily. and suddenly became very very ill.  And now im off 6.5yrs off.

Taper slow. Read the ashton manual front to back.

16 hours ago, [[b...] said:

Im sorry. Im no professional but i dont believe you have ptsd.

See the thing is with benzos is they can turn on you like a snake. All of a sudden they become paradoxial and actually start panic attacks like happened to me. Used xanax for 2 years daily. and suddenly became very very ill.  And now im off 6.5yrs off.

Taper slow. Read the ashton manual front to back.

Thanks for the info. As I look more into this I believe you are correct I am experiencing mid dose withdrawal and not PTSD. 
I do have it from severe childhood trauma but not as I am experiencing now. 
I went all day today without a micro dose of Xanax and I am pretty amped still and feel extra caffeinated but I had no caffeine or sugar today. 
I have the Ashton manual on all my devices and a paper copy at work. 
so I am very familiar with it now. I can hardly wait to share with the my doctors. 

Jan, best to stay on a dose. Stabalize. Then taper it slowly.

I did the whole take a micro dose when i needed it and it ended up distratious.

Best you can do is buy some milligram scales. Get stable on a dose (roughly what you were on, ashton manual has this info). Then slowly taper per week.

Some say the ashton manual is too fast. I followed it until i got to 5mg valium daily. And then started micro tapering. (I switched from xanax to valium as per the manual).

On 23/02/2024 at 03:22, [[b...] said:

Jan, best to stay on a dose. Stabalize. Then taper it slowly.

I did the whole take a micro dose when i needed it and it ended up distratious.

Best you can do is buy some milligram scales. Get stable on a dose (roughly what you were on, ashton manual has this info). Then slowly taper per week.

Some say the ashton manual is too fast. I followed it until i got to 5mg valium daily. And then started micro tapering. (I switched from xanax to valium as per the manual).

Thanks for the reply bw

i did stop the micro dose during the day and got back on my regular schedule until the next psy appointment. 
I also got back on my bike for some long rides. That helps me a lot. 

Now that I have read so many posts here I have a pretty good understanding of what’s happening now and happened to me. 
I actually feel encouraged and excited about being benzo free one day.

[Ja...]

Update:

I had m y second psychiatrist meeting and was very surprised she knew about the Ashton manual and said she uses a more local version of it. 
Once I mentioned that I joined this group and I am motivated to taper I do not want to go on a SSRI to help with sleep she was supportive. We talked about the switch to a longer 1/2 life benzo and I brought up the Valium from the Ashton manual and she advised a different one but agreed on the Valium switch. I asked if we could use both as stated in the Ashton manual and said no. California dispensing rules would not allow that so I have to wait until my 30 day supply ends to switch. 
so my feeling is I have a good psychiatrist but the state dispensing rules are going to be  challenging..

I have stabilized now on 1.5 mg Xanax and felling very productive and I’m in a very good mood for a change. curious how this is going to go. 

every day I think I can just stop this today and be done with it but at night I just can’t stand going to sleep without it. 
I don’t know how you all can taper down knowing that the bottle is right there when insomnia kicks in the middle of the night. This is going to be my biggest challenge. The day time I am fine. 
I am still reading everyone’s success stories for encouragement.