Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Feeling fear for no reason

I still continue to feel fear for no reason, especially in the morning when first waking up.  Is this a common symptom for others and does it ever leave?

AM anxiety has been a lifetime problem for me, whatever the medication I've been on.  I have generalized anxiety disorder and it's the anticipatory fear that usually gets to me the worse.  Things haven't changed much regardless of the fact that I've been lowering the dosage of benzos for over two years now. And, I think you'll find that a pretty common problem around here with most members.  Staying in bed and ruminating about what you'll feel like or what will happen during the day when you're up and around doesn't work well for me. It's important to stick to daily routines and plan morning activities that you'll look forward to when awakening.  You can always hope that this aspect of life will change, but I'm 72 now and it's still a daily part of my life. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the reply.  I should mention this does not feel like it is psychological, as if I am thinking of anything to cause this fear.  Rather, it feels like  I am standing on the edge of a cliff looking down the moment I open my eyes in the morning, before a thought even enters into my mind.  I feel overwhelming fear coursing through my body but there is nothing wrong going on or even a thought in my mind to feel this way.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

I still continue to feel fear for no reason, especially in the morning when first waking up.  Is this a common symptom for others and does it ever leave?

Yes very! It's a word for it. Primal fear.

• Like 1

@[St...] What you've described is exactly what my Drs have called "generalized anxiety disorder".  I've felt continual fear for all of my life.  It''s not situational (although that adds to it) but rather an ongoing dread that goes with me always.

Primal fear seems like the perfect name to describe it, although I can also see how doctors would label it with GAD.  It feels more physical than it does psychological as it typically subsides a lot after about 20 minutes after waking.  Could it be the cortisol in my body causing this  when I wake up? 

Edited by [St...]

1 hour ago, [[S...] said:

Primal fear seems like the perfect name to describe it, although I can also see how doctors would label it with GAD.  It feels more physical than it does psychological as it typically subsides a lot after about 20 minutes after waking.  Could it be the cortisol in my body causing this  when I wake up? 

It's the same for me so i get up quick after wake up. Idk why it's worse in the morning. When at it's worse, the whole last year, i was hit by a wave of fear and gasped for air every morning.

I say it's not a issue any longe but it's still present. 4 months since last dose.

@[kn...], I hear you on the morning anxiety. I suffer with severe GAD also. As soon as I awake each morning, my stupid brain starts scanning for SXs and the anxiety and associated SXs manifest themselves. I wish there was a safe (even invasive) way to quiet down the part of the brain responsible permanently instead of using drugs like benzos to suppress sxs that work for many ppl only a limited amount of time before tolerance slowly creeps in and the drug actually starts making the problem you started taking it to treat worse. Now, you have a horrible addiction to overcome along with even more painful SXs than you had with your original GAD or Panic. 

• Like 1

When I wake up with the immediate feeling of anxiety, panic fear, I put my head under a cold water faucet for 5-10min. I learned it from someone, or read it. I also do it as needed. I let the water run onto the back of my neck. It really soothes me.

I know the fear. I had mine at sunset

Its almost primal fear like.

It does go away. Eventually. Completley. I dont miss that symptom. It was relentless and daily.

Fear down to the bones as soon as sun set. Far out. Im bit built male too. Fearful like a little girl.

• Like 1