Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My third very serious symptom or state, after not using benzo for a year...

I stopped taking benzos over a year ago. The first few months were challenging, but then I gradually started functioning again as a normal human being should.

I got a job and returned to school, but in November of last year, I experienced an anxiety attack at school, seemingly out of nowhere. I went into fight or flight mode and had to leave the classroom and go home. Since then, I've struggled to attend school and my condition has worsened. By December, I couldn't even manage simple tasks like shopping at the mall and could barely leave the house. In a brave moment, I went to the hospital in December and described my symptoms, including tremors and anxiety/panic attacks. I was prescribed medication. Since December, I've been taking Tiapride (3x100mg) and Pregabalin (2x150mg), which has made things a little more bearable, but I still experience a significant amount of social anxiety. I can barely sit through a mass and I'm unable to go to work or school. This sudden onset of symptoms is entirely new to me, and I feel like I'm constantly in a hypersensitive fight or flight mode, especially in large groups of people. I've been desperately trying to manage this state over the last few months.

Has anyone else experienced something like this suddenly before? Will it eventually go away?

Hello @[bi...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm so sorry to know what has happened to you, may I ask, did you feel fully recovered from your benzodiazepine experience and do you consider what you're feeling now a continuation of your recovery from them or do you think this is something new?  Why were you prescribed benzo's originally and what was your taper like? 

Are you seeing a psychiatrist for this condition and did you have one guiding you through your taper?  I'm sorry for all of the questions, we just need a little more information to try to sort this out.

We're glad you're here and hope we can help.

Pamster

I haven't fully recovered yet. I'm still experiencing several symptoms, including occasional heart palpitations, restless legs, persistent anxiety, and gastrointestinal issues. These symptoms I described (social anxiety, agoraphobia like thing) appeared suddenly in November and have persisted since then.

About 3.5 years ago, I began taking benzodiazepines for insomnia. I used them regularly for about 3 months before stopping CT, which led to a sudden onset of severe symptoms. Initially unaware of the cause, I endured around a month of suffering until doctors identified the issue. They then reintroduced benzodiazepines to manage my symptoms. I continued taking various benzodiazepines for another year until I felt sufficiently recovered to taper off. Last year of me on benzos, I tapered from 2mg of Alprazolam to 0.5mg, then transitioned to 1mg of Clonazepam, tapering that down to 0 over about 1.5 months. Since then, I have discontinued all medication.

I understand a little more now, these symptoms appear to be a continuation, but they seem pretty intense for this far out. 

I'm sorry you had to endure a cold turkey, I know how painful those can be and your taper, at least from the Clonazepam was very rapid and I'm not sure why they doubled your dose by transitioning from .5 mg of Alprazolam to 1 mg Clonazepam but that's water under the bridge by now.

Around the time of the onset of new symptoms, did you take any new medications, either orally or topically?  What about new stress or supplements, no alcohol, right?

Pamster, I did drink alcohol around May, I thought I healed enough to handle a few beers. I was wrong. My symptoms relapsed for another few months, but by August I was fine again, only since then I have unusual symptoms of the same kind. I was not expecting this.

Maybe that's the cause of me probably developed this condition.

Guys, stay away from alcohol even if you think you are healed, is the moral of the story...

Probably bwhittters is right. I did my research after agoraphobia and fits very well for the state and condition I got into in November. I'm not sure, but probably It's induced by medication (or with my "relapse" with the alcohol). It's definitely agoraphobia, I can only hope it will go away.

Indeed it is agoraphobia.

I also had "induced" by medication agoraphobia. Put it this way.. i could drive four hours by myself the day before my setbacj which was caused by taking pepcid.

And believe me. In not a socially anxious person. Very very bizarre because I have never experienced such a state before. I was 5yrs 3mos off when i took the pepcid which destroyed me. The agoraphobia has gotten better. I can get in the car and leave my property without full blown panic now. But i still cannot drive. Have to be passenger. Im a 33year old male. Its ridicilious. I understand.

Refrain from drinking / meds. It will go away.

I'm sorry to hear about your setback from alcohol @[bi...], but did you gradually improve since May?  If you did, then it seems odd to have this attack out of nowhere in November.  I fully appreciate how unpredictable this process is and I've probably only seen a fraction of the oddities it produces so its probably pointless on my part to try to figure out why this happened but darn it, we NEED to know! :tickedoff:

• Like 1

Pamster, since I ended my taper in December of 2022, I gradually started developing new symptoms. Then, in a few months, I began to feel better and better. By May, I felt about 35-40% healed. However, after drinking alcohol, I started experiencing new symptoms such as elevated blood pressure, headaches, insomnia, and obviously, a significant amount of anxiety.

By August, I felt that my healing was continuing, but I still experienced waves of both old and new symptoms triggered by drinking. Despite this, I managed to secure a new job and work for a couple of weeks before starting school. Although my life was already stressful, I was still able to somewhat function.

Around the middle of September, I started developing new symptoms, including severe constipation, which persists. It's likely I have IBS, as I underwent a full checkup, including a gastroscopy.

In November, out of nowhere, in the middle of one of my classes, I experienced a severe panic/anxiety attack. Since then, I've been afraid of experiencing another attack in certain places, and unfortunately, it does happen. For example, I can barely go to church or attend masses without having an attack (I can do it but extremely unconfortable).

I'm also a bit concerned that taking Pregabalin might interfere with my healing, as it acts on the GABA receptors. I'm considering stopping it and trying a supplement instead, such as 750mg of GABA or B vitamins.
I wonder if it will ever end... I'm 25 and there should be more in this life but suffering from BZD withdrawal...

Edited by [bi...]

All of your symptoms sound like withdrawal including the gastrointestinal, some get hit hard, we call it benzo belly and its miserable.  

I'm wondering if the combination of the alcohol plus stress is causing this?  I consider stress to be the biggest contributor to increased symptom severity.  

I worry about other medications and supplements too, many have mentioned they can exacerbate symptoms, of course, others report them helping, its all so frustrating.  When did you start it, could it be playing a role in how you're feeling?

Before experimenting with supplements, I'd ask the folks in the Alternative Therapies group for their input.  Just hit join and you can post your questions. Topics - Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Support (benzobuddies.org)

Bionic001,

I’m sorry this is happening for you. In my experience, (I am on both K and Lyrica) they do interact. Although it sounds like your issues predate your pregabalin use, pregabalin could be causing issues for you, in terms of healing, where it affects gaba receptors.  

Pregabalin has to be tapered like benzos, with a similar wd syndrome. 

If you decide to remain on pregabalin, please be aware many generics are being discontinued. You may find yourself being switched to a different brand which could cause withdrawal symptoms, even if you are not tapering off. The brand switches I am experiencing with pregabalin are causing me a lot more problems than my Klonopin taper has. With worse symptoms.  two different generics could vary by 20% in strength. Putting someone into withdrawal unknowingly. There are others in my Pregabalin group going through this nightmare as well. 

I hope you find some relief soon.

Edited by [Pa...]
  • Like 1