Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Klonipin taper advice

Looking for some assistance. Been on klonipin since mid November 2023 (about 12 weeks) while coming off Zoloft and starting lexapro. I was on .5 for 8 of those weeks and began tapering down beginning of February. Started with .375 for 10 days. Very manageable. I went down to .25 four days ago, last night was the first time I experienced some hypnic jerks again. Had one when falling asleep but got to sleep, then once I was up with my baby at 4:30-5, couldn’t go back to sleep bc I had a few more. I also took hydroxine last night as that helped with the mild sleep issues I had on my first drop. These are actually what started my severe anxiety and why I went on lexapro and came off Zoloft. Along with post partum anxiety. 

my question is, 1. If it’s been four days since my taper down already should I expect this To get worse? 2. I wasn’t a long time user, so should I continue at .25 until symptoms subside, and when they do go down too .125?

my physciatrist isn’t really listening to me and when I was having some trouble on .375 she told me to go back up to .5. Very happy I didn’t listen to her. 

Hello @[...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I always cringe when I read doctors prescribe benzodiazepines to help with antidepressant side effects, benzo's are not a benign drug and can come with even worse outcomes. 

I can see you're dealing with symptoms but I believe you're doing the right thing by tapering off as quickly as possible.  Its bound to be uncomfortable but hopefully you can prevent anymore dependence by doing a rapid taper. 

I'd stay on the .25 a few more days, most Klonopin users report symptoms kick in between days 2-5 with them settling around day 10.   Its doubtful symptoms will subside, but if you can function, if you can take care of your basic daily tasks, then we consider this stable and time to reduce again. 

I'm glad you didn't go back up in dose, the sooner you can be rid of the drug the better, but if your symptoms become too intense, especially with a baby to care for, then slowing things down may be a better choice.

There will most likely be a period of recovery after you're Klonopin free, recovery can take as long or longer than the taper so try not to get discouraged. 

Pamster

Thank you so much for the quick reply @[Pa...]. Zoloft caused me severe hypnic jerks and caused a lot of sleep anxiety for me. So having these come back is a little disheartening. It’s definitely not as severe as I don’t have the panic attack that comes along with it. Tonight will be night 5 at .25, and this is really the only symptom I experienced so far. I meet with my physciatrist today and I know she will tell me it’s not because of the meds but I’m going to insist on coming down. Is there anything that I can ask her for as a sleep aid that may help relieve the jerks if they start interfering with me sleep? Again I hope they don’t become worse then they were last night. 

Also, when tapering, is the klonipin even doing anything for my anxiety at this point or is it just withdrawal because of tolerance to the meds? 

Edited by [...]

It sounds like what you're dealing with so far is manageable, but certainly not pleasant so I hope you can continue to taper. 

Unfortunately, sleep is most always a victim of this process and we haven't found anything that works for everyone, what helps one, can harm another.  The fact that you had gotten over the hypnic jerks caused by the Zoloft tells me what you're dealing with now is the result of the Klonopin and as you taper off and recover from it, they should leave again.  

Try to remember these symptoms are simply that, symptoms of an overly stimulated nervous system.  They aren't signs of a serious illness or condition, and they'll fade as you recover. 

As for your question about any therapeutic action taking place with the Klonopin, at this point it could be adding to your anxiety, it tends to do this when we become dependent or tolerant.  But, you still need it to prevent even more disruption to your nervous system, its a necessary evil at this point.   

Thank you @[Pa...] one other question. 

I am on lexapro now for 10 weeks. I know there are mixed reviews on ssris here but for now I am not planning on budging on that. 

from your experience on this forum, for the length of time I was on klonipin, do you see people for the most part have shorter withdrawal symptoms in my situation? I know everyone is different and it’s not one size fits all.

also is going to .125 on my next drop and jumping from there a reasonable plan for my short term use? Or is even that too big of a gap in drop? 

From what I've observed, those on benzodiazepines for a short time, less than 3 month can hope for symptoms to last weeks and months, rather than months and years like those who have taken it for longer.  Not everyone will suffer as we do, some can stop these medications with little to no problem, I'm hoping you're one of them.

Stopping at .125 would be too large of a dose for someone on the drug long term, but I'm hopeful you can accomplish it without too much pain.  Since we typically tell members to taper according to their symptoms, you could split the .125 dose and taper even lower if your symptoms are too much for you.  We hope to see you free from the drug, but not incapacitated. 

Thank you again! @[Pa...]! The fact that I was able to get 7 hours last night has me hopeful. I just hope this symptom doesn’t get worse then what I’m experiencing in the “acute” phase of my drop. Once I feel back to normal a few days do you suggest that’s when I drop down again to .125?

I'm encouraged you had a good night, that makes the world seem brighter I know.  And yes, when your body lets you know, you will want to taper to .125. 

Just a word about our symptoms though, they can wax and wane, we never know from one minute to the next how we're going to feel because our recovery isn't linear.  We think we're finally turning the corner and bam, we get hit with new symptoms.  This doesn't mean we're not recovering or we've made a mistake in our taper, its just the nature of the process.  Slow and deliberate decisions are best, if we react to each new symptom we can make things worse. 

@[Pa...] if I only used for 2-3 months, what should I consider my “acute” phase. 2 weeks? I’ve read online that symptoms should start to subside around 2 weeks. I also don’t want to taper longer than I was on the klonipin itself. 

I agree, getting off the Klonopin is your number one priority. 

We consider the acute phase to be the time after jumping off the drug, for me it lasted about two weeks where I was non-functional (because I quit cold turkey) but after that, my symptoms settled and I was miserable but able to take care of my daily tasks.

We have no idea when your symptoms will resolve and anyone claiming they start to subside in 2 weeks is not very informed about this process. 

Thank you again @[Pa...] I saw yours and @[...] taper advice to Alicia. Do you think me going down in 1/8 increments from .25 after being on it only 3 months would be excessive? Or if I feel good in about a week or so should I do .1875 pieces, and then .125, then .0625, then jump? 

I guess I'm hoping your symptoms will guide your decisions about how to approach the end of your taper.  If symptoms become unmanageable, then slow down, if you feel fairly well, then work at getting off as soon as possible.  

I know, you’re right. I’m just anticipating the jerks being an issue even though I slept last night, because at the beginning when I started the benzo it was not even possible to sleep bc of the jerks from Zoloft. Just afraid of them become worse having two children to care for and don’t want to not be able to sleep at all. 

Edited by [...]

@[...], I wish we could predict what will happen, and I understand your concern.  Not only do these medications make us hurt, but they also make us fear, it was one of my worst symptoms.  

@[Pa...] met with my physciatrist. Since I am on the .25 taper, instead of cutting the pills she prescribed .25 dissolvable tablets. And she said they come in .125. In your experience on this forum should I expect any difference from the pill to dissolvable form? She said it will just be more accurate dose o I’m not cutting the pill. 

I've worked with members who use the ODT tablets, I'm happy she thought of them for you.  I've even seen members cut them to even smaller doses.  

@[Pa...] very good to know! I will be picking those up. And good to know I can cut them if I need! Will make it easier if I want to do a cut between .25 and .125 and if I want to half .125

• Like 1

How old is your baby? When we had our kids I don’t remember sleeping for the first four months, so you’re in a very unique time in life that’s all consuming. 

@[Pa...] last night went horribly. I was having the jerks every time I tried to fall asleep. Sent my anxiety through the roof. I had to take more to get me back to .375 and then that didn’t even work. Took more to get me back to .5 and finally fell asleep. I’m so upset and feel stuck. I don’t know what to do. These jerks prevent me from going to sleep bc they make my anxiety so bad. I feel stuck forever. 

I'm so sorry @[...], but this experience is more information we need to make a plan so here are my thoughts, I hope you'll correct me if I have your history wrong. 

The hypnic jerks started as a result of the Zoloft, correct? What I'm not sure of is if the Zoloft is still contributing to the jerks or if the Klonopin taper is the culprit, what are your thoughts?

I propose you find a dose of Klonopin which keeps you comfortable and free from the jerks and stay on that until you're sure you're free of the nighttime disturbances.  Yes, you were a short time user of Klonopin but it might already be too late for a rapid taper so doing this experiment will accomplish two things.

One, this will allow you to stabilize so you can form a plan for a slow taper and two, if it is the Zoloft contributing, this gives your body more time to recover from the Zoloft. 

So here’s my timeline:

- 36 weeks pregnant, had really bad anxiety and a night of no sleep because of it. Asked my ob to start me on Zoloft (used it before on and off with no issues) started on 25mg

- had a traumatic birth around 39 weeks. Came home from the hospital and that’s when the hypnic jerks/nocturnal panic attacks started. Asked dr to up my dose of Zoloft to 50.

- about a week and a half later I was given klonipin. Before that was using Xanax, and hydroxine to sleep. Helped a bit but nothing consistent. Was on the 50 for about 3 weeks and couldn’t tolerate the side effects. We made a decision to taper off and switch to lexapro. During this whole time I was taking .25-.125 klonipin bc I was afraid to be taking it.

- when I went down to 25 Zoloft. I had a few nights I was able to sleep without klonipin. 

- started lexapro and been on it 10 weeks now. When onboarding lex side effects started up again. Jerks weren’t as bad but had body twitching. At this point and up until now I had to take .5 klonipin.

- at 8 weeks on lexapro, started weening klonipin to .375. Did that for 10 days and thought I felt well enough to go down to .25 klonipin. On night 4 off .25 the jerks started again. They aren’t as severe as they were on Zoloft but they are keeping me up.

I guess my question now is it truly the klonipin causing it? Or is it now the lexapro. I just feel stuck between a rock and hard place.

Hi @[...] just to chime in, I am on klonopin as well and I experience these jerks from time to time. I believe it to be pretty common from what I have read

Thanks for outlining your history, I'm wondering if you're right about the antidepressants, and just because the literature doesn't support our theory doesn't mean it can't happen.  Most medical practitioners deny what's happening to us and here we are. 

I think you're going to have to keep experimenting on yourself, and believe getting on a stable dose of Klonopin is the only way to know.  The trouble is, this will deepen your dependency on the Klonopin but I'm not sure what else to try. 

@[Pa...] I’m having hormone testing done now being newly postpartum, I think it would be beneficial for me to see what those results are before making big changes. Get those stable. And possibly start dropping the lexapro first. And see if that helps the jerks.