Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Latest Symptoms..something else? Or True Withdrawal?

Hi all.  I am seriously wondering if there is something else wrong with me.  I have been sick for 7 months.  Most recent is a head cold coughing and congestion with flegm.  4 days already.  

Had all the blood work done and appears I am reasonably healthy but I just feel awful.  I think I became tolerant to Xanax last summer, but also had sinus ear infection.  Here I am after 4 month taper and I feel same as I did back when I was sick last July.  I have none of the textbook symptoms..only headaches, ear pressure, head like concrete and tinnitus.  General unwell feeling..pretty hard to manage thru.  Seeing my GP tomorrow here in US after being out of the country for 7 months.  Saw all the best Drs in Thailand while there yet no relief.  Is this really withdrawal after my taper ??  Somehow I feel like there is more to it but as I said the extensive check up in Asia showed good health?  So discouraging.  🙏🙏

Edited by [Kh...]
Add head cold
  • Sad 2

Sorry to keep questioning…it’s just really tough right now and it’s been months of suffering.  Wishing everyone else who may be suffering speedy relief/recovery.  

This absolutely sounds like withdrawl. How long and which drugs did you use? How fast was the taper?

• Like 1

Just now, [[m...] said:

This absolutely sounds like withdrawl. How long and which drugs did you use? How fast was the taper?

.5-1.0 mg Xanax…several years. Night only.  Think I became tolerant. Not sure.  Was back in July last year.  Transitioned to Valium. 4 month taper.  Just finished, but been feeling these kind of symptoms since tolerance.  Some days worse than others.  But now its pretty bad times.  My history shows all taper progressions.  Thanks 🙏 

Hi Khun Kit, I lived in Thailand for 17 years, so felt drawn to respond to you. During my time there I was heavily involved in dog/cat rescue, which as an animal lover, broke my heart steadily. The only way to go to sleep at night after seeing the worst cases of animal suffering was to take small doses of valium (usually only 1 mg). At that time in Thailand it was still possible to buy valium at a pharmacy, although I was also prescribed it by doctors on various occasions. I'd also been prescribed valium on and off for years in the Netherlands prior to going to Thailand.

Long story short, after returning to the Netherlands 7years ago I thought I could just stop using valium, particularly because I'd been using it sporadically in such small amounts, and wasn't constantly seeing dogs and cats that needed my help. But 3 months after stopping, a myriad of strange things started happening in my body. After searching for information, I realized that by stopping cold turkey, I'd put myself in heavy withdrawal. I never considered tapering, but have been pushing through.

It's an interesting coincidence (and I'm sure it's that!) because my main lingering symptoms are all concerned with sinus issues, headaches etc. These definitely get worse when there's more stress going on, and there doesn't seem to be anything that really helps with them. During the last 7 years I've been able to keep busy by working part time as a teacher/editor, and now volunteering 1 day a week at an animal shelter, where I am not hands on with the animals because of possible PTSD triggers, but assist with recruiting new volunteers. I focus on trying to have productive days, eating healthily and getting regular exercise. 

From my experience and what I read from other people, I don't think the majority of doctors anywhere have a clue about the long term effects of benzos, and I soon learned in Thailand that doctors there love to prescribe as much medicine as possible. That's what it's all about for them, so I really wouldn't expect much understanding about benzo withdrawal from them.

I wish you luck and can only advise that you keep busy, which does help me not to focus on the remaining symptoms. Walking is the best exercise ;)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Sorry to keep questioning…it’s just really tough right now and it’s been months of suffering.  Wishing everyone else who may be suffering speedy relief/recovery.  

@[Kh...], it's just my opinion but i'm sure it's still the same withdrawal and its symptoms vary. Just anything people can suffer from mentally as well as physically. The point is we're not in fact ill just kind of feel this way while healing You say your blood tests are ok+-. I think it's a sign of wd. We suffer but the suffering can't be tracked down bk benzo lies...

Just hold on. You are on a bumpy road to recovery. Wish you good fat healthy luck!)

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

"none of the textbook symptoms..only headaches, ear pressure, head like concrete and tinnitus.  General unwell feeling"

Actually these are textbook symptoms! I have these at almost 12 months off, horrible feeling. Doesn't seem like there is anything we can do except wait until the brain sorts itself out.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, [[W...] said:

"none of the textbook symptoms..only headaches, ear pressure, head like concrete and tinnitus.  General unwell feeling"

Actually these are textbook symptoms! I have these at almost 12 months off, horrible feeling. Doesn't seem like there is anything we can do except wait until the brain sorts itself out.  

Thanks for your comments.  I was thinking symptoms like anxiety,etc.  But yea ur right.  I an also having trouble sleeping so add that one into the textbook category.

Sorry u are suffering too. I have a hard time imagining enduring for 12 months…guess I am at 7 months already but recently discontinued Valium at .25mg.  Gonna see GP today.  New Dr for me. Know idea what even to say  to him?? 

4 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Hi Khun Kit, I lived in Thailand for 17 years, so felt drawn to respond to you. During my time there I was heavily involved in dog/cat rescue, which as an animal lover, broke my heart steadily. The only way to go to sleep at night after seeing the worst cases of animal suffering was to take small doses of valium (usually only 1 mg). At that time in Thailand it was still possible to buy valium at a pharmacy, although I was also prescribed it by doctors on various occasions. I'd also been prescribed valium on and off for years in the Netherlands prior to going to Thailand.

Long story short, after returning to the Netherlands 7years ago I thought I could just stop using valium, particularly because I'd been using it sporadically in such small amounts, and wasn't constantly seeing dogs and cats that needed my help. But 3 months after stopping, a myriad of strange things started happening in my body. After searching for information, I realized that by stopping cold turkey, I'd put myself in heavy withdrawal. I never considered tapering, but have been pushing through.

It's an interesting coincidence (and I'm sure it's that!) because my main lingering symptoms are all concerned with sinus issues, headaches etc. These definitely get worse when there's more stress going on, and there doesn't seem to be anything that really helps with them. During the last 7 years I've been able to keep busy by working part time as a teacher/editor, and now volunteering 1 day a week at an animal shelter, where I am not hands on with the animals because of possible PTSD triggers, but assist with recruiting new volunteers. I focus on trying to have productive days, eating healthily and getting regular exercise. 

From my experience and what I read from other people, I don't think the majority of doctors anywhere have a clue about the long term effects of benzos, and I soon learned in Thailand that doctors there love to prescribe as much medicine as possible. That's what it's all about for them, so I really wouldn't expect much understanding about benzo withdrawal from them.

I wish you luck and can only advise that you keep busy, which does help me not to focus on the remaining symptoms. Walking is the best exercise ;)

Thanks for the comments. Once I sent a message to someone sounding like you giving advice on how to deal with stray cats etc..  what would be the chances you helped me?  As u know feral cats are all over the place,  we feed several of the in our village and sometimes (always)they have kittens.  We try and catch the and fix the if we can.  We had kittens in our pool area and I did not know what to do — so I sent an email to a support group who gave me advice.  For some reason I think the responder was from the Netherlands. 🙏🙏

Yea - I got hooked on Xanax - my own fault.  It’s still available OTC if u know the right pharmacy.  My Psych in Thailand tried to put me on klonopin and lexapro. She was happy to prescribe. I gave her the Ashton manual.  Took her a while to read it.  She helped my transition to Valium and basically followed my lead to get off.  No lexapro, but I am certainly depressed and may need  it.  Back in USA now will see what drs say here.

Now its sinus and ears really bugging me. Ears more than anything. But they are connected for sure.  Have a hard time keeping busy  my will to do stuff is so low.  Just hang around the house and fee crappy  TV etc.  bored to tears  no motivation  😩

Edited by [Kh...]
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Thanks Kate.  Don’t know how folks get thru this.  My brain is telling me dark things. Hard to manage even with support from my dear wife.  She’s a saint.  I just feel like I am doing nothing positive.  Just laying around waiting to get better and it’s so slow. 

That's exactly what we're supposed to have to do... Just be lying and patiently waiting and this can be the hardest thing to do. I think, in our case, doing nothing is acting. Don't listen to your brain. It's temporarily  mistaken. Sure you will get better. I never fully believed it myself till one day realised i was really getting better.

You're lucky to have such wife!) Keep going🌤️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Shouldn’t I be pushing myself to go do things?  Home bound is ok?  I am having troubles telling friends I am not well.  They want to hang out I I just don’t want to.  I don’t want to tell everyone of my deep personal struggles with these evil drugs.  

I understand. I've been the same but now it's time for me to go out. I feel it) And you will. Everything is going to come back, by and by...

For now, home bound is definitely ok. Don't push yourself. I read we shouldn't do it. Be patient with yourself. Wish you patience and health!)

• Like 1

@[Kh...]we all have disbelief that wd in all its stages can make us feel what it does. 

It’s an inhuman experience. I only get more upset when I try and blame myself for not being more productive or any other 100 shitty thoughts my brain want to use to assault me.

Everything you are saying  can be a symptom of your nervous system being wonky. Go to doctors, but you have withdrawal going on. Just because you finish a taper doesn’t equal done and finished. I know you hate hearing that, and I hate it too. Even sinus and flu symptoms are very common sxs. 
you have textbook symptoms just not the ones the drug companies list.. and they do that on purpose.

• Like 1

Going to a trip last year while tapering - already around -3,5 mg Xanax tapered then - I went on a trip here in Europe. Early spring. The stress of the trip caused "sinus issues", these persist to this day. Then I took a medication called levofloxacin, a flouroquinolone, this caused acute withdrawal. I soon crashed after that. 

I am surprised how I was able to do this trip. I was massively agoraphobic, generally very sick, but I just kept going. 

It is very likely a withdrawal symptom, I read it here quite often. Any weird emotion /feeling you experience in the near future, is most likely a withdrawal symptom... Actually I feel like, as one withdrawal coach said, as if I am only a bunch of symptoms and I believe I will forever be only symptoms... 

Khun Kit: It's withdrawals no doubt. I took maybe 40 mg Xanax over 2 /12 years and I'm still screwed up but healing after 20 months on a Cold Turkey. I used to break it into halves and quarters. Still got hammered. Still have major sinus issues, headaches, balance issues, physical pain especially after waking up, major fatigue not to mention fear. Don't doubt yourself. Just press on. Most of the doctors are parrots that repeat the drug company bull crap. Avoid them once you get things checked out. They will make you crazy and give you more pills. Pretty much the only thing most of them know how to do.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Thanks for the comments. Once I sent a message to someone sounding like you giving advice on how to deal with stray cats etc..  what would be the chances you helped me?  As u know feral cats are all over the place,  we feed several of the in our village and sometimes (always)they have kittens.  We try and catch the and fix the if we can.  We had kittens in our pool area and I did not know what to do — so I sent an email to a support group who gave me advice.  For some reason I think the responder was from the Netherlands. 🙏🙏

Yea - I got hooked on Xanax - my own fault.  It’s still available OTC if u know the right pharmacy.  My Psych in Thailand tried to put me on klonopin and lexapro. She was happy to prescribe. I gave her the Ashton manual.  Took her a while to read it.  She helped my transition to Valium and basically followed my lead to get off.  No lexapro, but I am certainly depressed and may need  it.  Back in USA now will see what drs say here.

Now its sinus and ears really bugging me. Ears more than anything. But they are connected for sure.  Have a hard time keeping busy  my will to do stuff is so low.  Just hang around the house and fee crappy  TV etc.  bored to tears  no motivation  😩

No, it wasn't me, but I'm glad that someone else could be of help with the kitties. The only answer for the dog/cat problems in Thailand, and many other places, is sterilization. Education is also important, of course, whenever people are receptive to that. You probably also know that feline FIV and leukemia are prevalent in Thailand. Vaccinations are available, but costly. These diseases mean that the lifespan of stray cats is shorter, which I started to think of as a good thing because when you get involved with so much suffering, you just want it to become less. Anyway, I think it's great that you have been helping the cats. Far too many people, both Thais and foreigners, were happy to turn a blind eye in my experience there.

I'm glad you found a doctor in Thailand who was willing to help you with tapering from valium. Sinus and ear issues are most definitely connected for me, with tinnitus still raising its ugly head, particularly whenever there's stress. I do find that taking just half a paracetamol tablet can make a difference. In my previous post I recommended keeping busy, but I should correct that to say that trying to find a balance between achieving some things, and resting in between is best. If you can manage to walk, maybe try setting yourself a step count target every day, and building that up. I feel that not having any, or enough, exercise won't be helping with your recovery. Also, even if I'm not feeling great, it helps me to reflect on what I've accomplished at the end of every day, rather than just lying in bed thinking that I did nothing worthwhile all day ;)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, [[S...] said:

What a dream job you had in Thailand :)

7 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

What a dream job you had in Thailand :)

Maybe it was, but it was also often a nightmare!

Just now, [[S...] said:

Maybe it was, but it was also often a nightmare!

Yeah I can imagine. We have places here for stray cats. It's to cold here snd they freeze to death I'd they are not captured. 

17 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Yeah I can imagine. We have places here for stray cats. It's to cold here snd they freeze to death I'd they are not captured. 

I think that actively helping animals is one of the best things we can do in our lives. This is my cat, Indy, adopted from the shelter where I volunteer nearly 3 years ago. She had a sad little life before we found each other, but since then it's all been good.

Indy in the mirror.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, [[S...] said:

I think that actively helping animals is one of the best things we can do in our lives. This is my cat, Indy, adopted from the shelter where I volunteer nearly 3 years ago. She had a sad little life before we found each other, but since then it's all been good.

Indy in the mirror.jpg

Congratulations. To both of you :)

On 19/02/2024 at 20:25, [[K...] said:

Hi all.  I am seriously wondering if there is something else wrong with me.  I have been sick for 7 months.  Most recent is a head cold coughing and congestion with flegm.  4 days already.  

Had all the blood work done and appears I am reasonably healthy but I just feel awful.  I think I became tolerant to Xanax last summer, but also had sinus ear infection.  Here I am after 4 month taper and I feel same as I did back when I was sick last July.  I have none of the textbook symptoms..only headaches, ear pressure, head like concrete and tinnitus.  General unwell feeling..pretty hard to manage thru.  Seeing my GP tomorrow here in US after being out of the country for 7 months.  Saw all the best Drs in Thailand while there yet no relief.  Is this really withdrawal after my taper ??  Somehow I feel like there is more to it but as I said the extensive check up in Asia showed good health?  So discouraging.  🙏🙏

Called protracted withdrawals, It's been 8 months for me, I have tinnitus and left ear pressure with partial hearing loss,y E. N.T. said my ears are fine, when my brain resets I will hear again he says. Just time, and stay busy, don't stay home worrying. 

• Like 2