Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Has anyone used a three month 12 step program to get of Xanax?

A friend of mine was suggesting one and from what I’ve read three months is not enough time to do that? But if there is anyone with a story, I would like to hear it about a program like that.

thank you

Hi @[Ma...]. We have to keep in mind that everyone requires a different rate of taper. Some can quit cold turkey without problems while some need dose reductions of 1-2% over years. It's so highly variable. I feel it's more about finding what works best for you and your body. Starting slow and adjusting based on symptoms and how functional you are.

To answer, though, I don't have experience with this to share and don't know anyone who has used this type of program. Wishing you the best.

44 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

Hi @[Ma...]. We have to keep in mind that everyone requires a different rate of taper. Some can quit cold turkey without problems while some need dose reductions of 1-2% over years. It's so highly variable. I feel it's more about finding what works best for you and your body. Starting slow and adjusting based on symptoms and how functional you are.

To answer, though, I don't have experience with this to share and don't know anyone who has used this type of program. Wishing you the best.

Im having inter-dose withdrawal on .5 mg alprazalam twice a day that I have been on many years. I have divided up my dose and it has helped some but still having withdrawal and have not started to tapper.

if I’m having withdrawals at this stage already, it seems that it’s only going to get worse. So I’m considering a medically assisted detox to at least be off of them.

Is there anyone who has tried this method??

I really would like to know please??

thank you🙏

Hello @[Ma...], because of the nature of the forum, you will most likely find people who went through something similar to this but had a complicated withdrawal.

I applaud you for wanting to get off xanax! I did, too. My dose was higher than yours and I did a 3 month taper. 

I am uncertain if the 12 steps would be of any help to you if you do such a fast taper. I suggest you taper at a slower rate maybe switch to a longer acting benzodiazepine before that. 

This is doable, but one should really plan forward. While in case of other "substances" one gets through withdrawal in a few weeks, in case of any benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms may persist for a really long time (several months to years). 

You can most likely successfully avoid this state by doing a reasonable, slow, symptom led taper. 

Would you mind giving me some details about your 3 month tapper? Like, what dose you were on, what rate did you tapper, what were your withdrawal symptoms, were you able to work, how you feel now and manage? Was there anything that helped your withdrawal symptoms?

Thank you

Edited by [Ma...]

I was on 4,5 mg for 12 years. I have been experiencing withdrawal for 8 months.No, I can't work, have agoraphobia, anxiety, many more symptoms.

Most people who do a reasonable taper and let their symptoms lead them don't end up in this state, please remember that. 

I suggest you ask for help with your taper on the Taper Strategies section of the website, here

https://benzobuddies.org/forum/120-benzodiazepine-taper-strategies/

Were you having inter-dose withdrawal?

is that why you wanted to get off the Benzos?

or was it the dependency and possible future medical issues that caused you to get off of them?

Are you glad you did it even though you are having all these issues?

My issue is a bit more complicated, my therapist died of a sudden heart attack and I could not find another one. 

I had bad tolerance, I had tremor attacks, rapid weight loss,  insomnia while on the "med", but what I ended up with is waaay worse...

Even in retrospect this was a big failure and this is the biggest lesson of my life, I wouldn't wish this on my enemy. I think many people would agree with me on this. All because I did not taper correctly and did not read this website. 

Edited by [Re...]
Removed "incontrollable"
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Im having inter-dose withdrawal on .5 mg alprazalam twice a day that I have been on many years. I have divided up my dose and it has helped some but still having withdrawal and have not started to tapper.

if I’m having withdrawals at this stage already, it seems that it’s only going to get worse. So I’m considering a medically assisted detox to at least be off of them.

If interdose withdrawal is too problematic then we usually recommend a crossover to Valium. This is a less drastic measure than detox.

• Like 1

Research Trileptal as it supposedly takes Xanax out of the blood…

Then, obviously, talk with your dr.!

45 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

If interdose withdrawal is too problematic then we usually recommend a crossover to Valium. This is a less drastic measure than detox.

My psychiatrist said he would only switch me over to Valium in a hospital setting. I don’t think he is aware of the Ashton manual.

How long does it take to switch over to Valium?

i have an appointment with him on the 21st. I hope we can come up with a strategy.

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

My psychiatrist said he would only switch me over to Valium in a hospital setting.

What does he mean by this and how would he do it?

25 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

How long does it take to switch over to Valium?

Based on this  Ashton schedule and your 1mg dose, I would guess somewhere around 4 weeks. 

• Like 2

@[Ma...]With the sample method from the Ashton manual above, you can do a smooth switch yourself. 

You need a cooperative prescriber, but you can do this at your own pace. This seems to be the best solution for you right now.

Later, after you switched and stabile, you may or may not taper down the Valium. 

• Like 2

Just to add - the Ashton link I provided might not make sense to you for your own numbers. I just plugged you in at 1mg. But we can rework the numbers for you so you can have your own specific crossover.

• Like 1

Yes, it doesn’t make sense to me. I would really appreciate help in getting the correct equivalent. 
My psychiatrist may very well be aware of this. I think he thought I was wanting to make a sudden switch.

I printed the schedule you provided to go over it with him.

Will Valium control anxiety or make me groggy?

I am also assuming this would be liquid Valium?

Edited by [Ma...]

Thread title reminded me of a celbrity, Aaron Carter. He had tried to go to rehab to get off Xanax and it never worked. He eventually died at age 34 while on Xanax still.

Then again i've heard of people who quit after years and recover like they never even took anything. I hate thinking about this stuff honestly. I'm just trying to say I guess, everyone is different.

Well I am going to be smart about this with a good support system. And I’m sure he was on a higher dose than I am. 
I prefer to be positive 

15 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Yes, it doesn’t make sense to me. I would really appreciate help in getting the correct equivalent. 
My psychiatrist may very well be aware of this. I think he thought I was wanting to make a sudden switch.

I printed the schedule you provided to go over it with him.

Will Valium control anxiety or make me groggy?

I am also assuming this would be liquid Valium?

I'll work on the crossover schedule and post it for you. 

• Like 2

Below is a suggested crossover for your two times a day dosing of 1mg Xanax. 1mg Xanax = 20mg Valium. I suggest when you speak to your doctor you do not mention to him that you got this from a bunch of random people on the internet. Understandably it can be annoying to doctors. I suggest you show him the Ashton schedule you printed and tell him you plugged in at 1mg and thought based on Ashton calculations, this is what your crossover should relatively look like and you would like his opinion on this. 

Xanax 1mg (x2 dosing)

Each stage is 1-2 weeks

Starting dose:

0.5mg Xanax                0.5mg Xanax

Stage 1:

0.5X                       0.25X

5mg V

Stage2:

0.25X                     0.25X

5mg V                   5mg V

Stage3:

0.25X                     Stop X

5mgV                    10mg V

Stage 4:

Stop X                   10mg V

10mg V

• Like 1

On 20/02/2024 at 15:50, [[j...] said:

Below is a suggested crossover for your two times a day dosing of 1mg Xanax. 1mg Xanax = 20mg Valium. I suggest when you speak to your doctor you do not mention to him that you got this from a bunch of random people on the internet. Understandably it can be annoying to doctors. I suggest you show him the Ashton schedule you printed and tell him you plugged in at 1mg and thought based on Ashton calculations, this is what your crossover should relatively look like and you would like his opinion on this. 

Xanax 1mg (x2 dosing)

Each stage is 1-2 weeks

Starting dose:

0.5mg Xanax                0.5mg Xanax

Stage 1:

0.5X                       0.25X

5mg V

Stage2:

0.25X                     0.25X

5mg V                   5mg V

Stage3:

0.25X                     Stop X

5mgV                    10mg V

Stage 4:

Stop X                   10mg V

10mg V

Since I am dosing 3 times a day would you be willing to put a schedule together for me on that basis?

Right now I’m taking .375 mg Xanax in the morning and afternoon. The reason for the .375 mg of Xanax 3 times a day is because I was spacing out my dose to help with interdose withdrawal.

Taking 7.5 mg of Valium in the evening. 
this is the schedule my doctor worked out.

Things are a little better but it is difficult during the day.
I was thinking of going back to .5mg Xanax in the morning and .5mg Xanax in the afternoon. Then 10mg Valium in the evening. 
What would your advice be to smooth this dosing out?

any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you🙏

Edited by [Ma...]

28 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Taking 7.5 mg of Valium in the evening. 
this is the schedule my doctor worked out.

Why do you want a different crossover schedule to what your doctor has done?

Because it’s not really working during the day. 
It’s not really according to the Ashton plan. On the other hand since I have cut down to .375 twice a day on the Xanax and am able to deal with it with difficulty. I should probably just hold. Maybe go up to 10mg of Valium in the evening?

Just wanted to know your thoughts??

Edited by [Ma...]

I understand. I didn't know you were on a different crossover schedule than the one we discussed until now. Would your doctor support a different plan?

What are your current doses and how have you done the crossover?