Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

hay fever?

Does anyone feel shallow breath after stressful events? Mine is always conditional, but my family stress of yesterday was relatively minor, so do not know what caused me the symptom intensely today. Another thing that I suspect as a trigger is hay fever, as every year it makes my throat feel burning like fire, but my physician said there are no issues with my respiration in test results. I would appreciate your feedback.

Edited by [Ka...]

Sometimes we can't point to a reason why a symptom pops up out of nowhere. The path of withdrawal is so crooked and often without rhyme or reason.  Shortness of breath, air hunger, feeling like you need to yawn all the time and shallow breathing are all common withdrawal symptoms.  I'm glad you got reassurance from your doctor about your respiration.  I had these symptoms too and over time as I healed they went away.  I found walking outside at a moderate pace was helpful.  Relaxation exercises and yoga were helpful too.  I hope this eases up for you soon.

I have had it for over three days now, I am scared. I could sleep for a couple of hours, but it has not subsided yet. I have not have a same symptom in such many days successively as long as I can remember, except exposure to a specific one.  Stress is definitely a major trigger for me, Brighterday. Perhaps having consulted a new doctor was stressful for me physically and mentally, although I was not feeling nervous at all, but I guess my CNS reacted to this more than my conscious level. I want to go back the days I could wash my hair, drawing, and laughing at movies. Now I can not do these things. Sorry for this detail. I am panic now.

You will get back to those days of feeling at ease and enjoying simple pleasures. Right now your system is still working hard to adjust and heal after benzos.  Stress of all kinds amped up my symptoms and new ones appeared for no reason.  The durations of symptoms is unpredictable and inconsistent - I honestly don't think there's any significance to this new symptom going on longer than previous symptoms.  It's just the unpredictable zig zagging nature of withdrawal.  It's maddening but none of it means you're not healing.  Please remember your doctor reassured you your respiration is fine.  Also, remember that your fear center is highly sensitized.  With many withdrawal symptoms like shallow breathing it becomes a vicious cycle where you're short of breath, the shortness of breath itself makes you feel anxious and in turn you begin to feel more anxious, your muscles involved in breathing begin to tighten and the fear response is reinforced.  I know this pattern well from my own withdrawal.  Please be gentle with yourself and take the best care of yourself you can.  You will get through this - healing takes time, more for some of us than others, but you will laugh again and this will all be behind you.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thank you so much for the encouragement, Brighterday. You describe my fear cycle perfectly. I am doing gentle stretching my upper body now as you kindly suggested, saying to myself that it should subside. I will update when I get calm enough to compose more sentences. Thank you for being there.  Many hugs.

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A histamine reaction, as well as taking antihistamines, is something that many people report as triggering the w/d symptoms. So that might be a factor. 

• Love 1

[Pi...]

I take sips of breath.  I have to remind myself to belly breath. I find this may contribute to my lack of energy.  When I start belly breathing I yawn so much and I start to wake up and it brings more oxygen to brain.

Edited by [Pi...]
  • Like 1
  • Love 1