Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Sound of appliances

The dishwasher and washer and dryer never bothered me and even the sound of the garage disposal not only causes instant anxiety but also makes me angry. 
even the sound of the furnace going on and off.

what the hell? 

My brain is suffering so bad. Every few days something new pops up. 

Once a sound hits my ears it’s like my nerves are instantly going crazy and it takes hours for it to subside. Sometimes it’s endless as new noises just keep the loop going.

Tried ear plugs but they make me hear the sound of my thumping heart so intensely. 

Urgent care said my blood pressure isn’t high enough for a beta blocker. They said I should go to a heart doctor to see if I have POTS. I really don’t want to be on a hamster wheel with doctor appointments  leading me down a road of further frustration and anxiety. 

I just want to scream. 

Honestly thinking about taking a benzo again. I can’t live like this.

Hello @[Kr...] I'm so sorry you're suffering like this.  The sound sensitivity you describe is very common in benzo withdrawal.  It's called hyperacusis and it's an intense hearing sensitivity that can make normal sounds intolerable.  Like all withdrawal symptoms it is temporary and with time it will ease up.  This takes longer for some individuals than for others. I had this too - people speaking in a normal voice sounded like they were shouting in my ear. Eventually, as I healed, it faded away.  

Here's a link that may be helpful to you: coping with hyperacusis

@[Kr...]im so very sorry you are having to endure this symptom.

I’ve had it since the near end of my taper and I still have it. I can tell you that it did significantly lessen for a while, but it has resurfaced again . 
I can’t do earplugs either for the exact reason you can’t, plus wearing them gives me a type of claustrophobia, makes me feel closed in and sealed shut like I’m in a coffin or something. Plus it doesn’t play well with dp/dr, that closed ear feeling just exacerbated my sense of unreality.

I can sometimes hear my apartment neighbor blowing her nose and using the bathroom. That’s more due to the cheap wall that we share in this apartment complex. It still makes my heart jump because the sound comes out of nowhere, that’s where the irritation comes for a second. Its hard. All of this is. Sending you thoughts and prayers.

In the same boat here. My dryer is too much -- there's this high pitched noise that drives me crazy. I can hear my apartment neighbor's morning alarm which doesn't seem like it would be loud based on the tone, but it is for me.

Hoping it settles down some for you. I know it's hard to manage. Such a barrage of things we encounter during this. Sending good thoughts your way.

• Like 1

Hey @[Kr...], I have the same thing happening to me. This symptom was at its highest when I was tapering then it died done three months later. But, two months after that the intensity of all my symptoms increased especially, this one.

Now my ears perk up even to the slightest noise. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have two dogs that will bark the heads off when they see a person out side. And mom is a walking and talking surround-sound. just imagine how I feel when I hear all this at my house. 😒

Edited by [Jo...]

5 hours ago, [[N...] said:

In the same boat here. My dryer is too much -- there's this high pitched noise that drives me crazy. I can hear my apartment neighbor's morning alarm which doesn't seem like it would be loud based on the tone, but it is for me.

Hoping it settles down some for you. I know it's hard to manage. Such a barrage of things we encounter during this. Sending good thoughts your way.

Sending those good thoughts right back atcha

🫂

• Like 1