Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My dad’s neurologist treats klonopin almost like an aspirin!!!!! How do I help my parents??? I’m so lost!!!

I’ve posted in a different group and I apologize if this is not allowed. I am new here and at the same time I’m in a bad emotional state at the moment. I’ll try to explain the situation as detailed as I can. My dad (66 m) had two ischemic strokes. He also has neuropathy. He has enlarged prostate. The strokes didn’t affect his brain too much. He is still very intelligent, can talk, think almost normal. He was walking and going out for walks with my mom. Slowly but he was doing it. He walks like he’s had a stroke but he can walk. He suffers from insomnia also because he was drinking a lot prior to his first stroke. He hasn’t had alcohol for years. His main issue started with the fact that he couldn’t sleep at all. Plus he had strong neuropathy pain in his legs which wasn’t letting him sleep on top of everything else. He went from melatonin to such strong pills. Doctors were “experimenting” on him with all kinds of pills that were making him very sick. His balance is not ok and he’s been feeling dizzy after the strokes so a lot of the pills they gave him made things worse. One day my brother looked up the “best neurologist” in the country and scheduled an appointment with him. The guy prescribed Klonopin (which a little later got banned in my country). He prescribed 0.5 mg at night. The only Klonopin my parents were able to find was 2mg so my mom started cutting the pills with a knife and giving him “0.5” at night. My parents live in a third world country and I was living overseas so I didn’t really know how bad it got until I came here. I took a month off to stay with them and try to help. I see that my dad has horrible horrible days and today is one of them. I started reading everything available here as info and online in general and I realize how uneven cuts can do that to a person. He literally has days where it feels like he’s suffering from severe withdrawals. My mom is old and doesn’t see well, plus cutting a pill with a knife is never precise. We looked everywhere for a scale and pill cutter and my brother finally found one overseas which I hope will be here within a week at the latest. I know you all guys say I shouldn’t have my dad taper off without his consent but he is in a mental state where you can’t really talk to him and explain all this. He doesn’t understand: he is very angry, aggressive and yells all the time. Blames everything and everyone. He doesn’t get it. I just want to be able to cut his pills precisely and taper off by 0.003 or something small like that every 1 or 2 weeks so he doesn’t feel such severe withdrawals. He won’t be able to live without something that calms his nerve or helps him sleep but I just see that this pill is not the answer. I’ve read so much about Valium and I honestly think that will be way better for him and his nerves. Plus Klonopin is no longer available here and I’d rather help them switch to something gradually while they still have some Klonopin left. Otherwise, it will be pure hell once it’s gone. When my mom went to the neurologist and asked what they will do next since the pill is no longer available he said to her “what’s the problem? Will just switch it to something else?” My mom asked if he can just switch it like that and he said “yeah no problem it’s just a pill like any other!” LIKE SERIOUSLY WTF?!?!? And this is the best neurologist in the country! Makes me sick to my bones! I’ve learned so much stuff from you guys here that this guy probably has never even heard off! How am I supposed to trust a neurologist to help my dad in this case? How?!

I believe my dad’s dose last night was a smaller cut. He couldn’t even sleep. He got up extremely angry. It’s been hell since early morning. He talks about suicide all day long. He has extreme need to urinate because he has an enlarged prostate and I know benzos in general are not good for the prostate. He is angry because he hasn’t slept, he is in pain; and on top of that he feels the need to get up (which is difficult) for him and go to the bathroom every 10 min but then he goes and can’t really pee. He keeps saying he’s no longer a person, he needs to go, he prays every night he doesn’t wake up. It’s horrible to see him like that. He was a very intelligent person who was also very active before. All he does at the moment is lay on the bed and prays he dies. If he is sitting his prostate makes him go to the bathroom all the time. I understand that’s no life and it’s hard for a person who used to be so active to live like that. But I also know that a lot is happening because of the Rivotril. He used to at least go for walks before. He doesn’t live the house anymore and that all started after he got prescribed the Klonopin/Rivotril. 
I know a lot of you will judge me that I want to help my dad without even telling him my plans. I tried. He refuses to hear. When it comes to the pills he doesn’t really get it. I think if I don’t help he is going to a very bad place and so is my mom. She’s a prisoner in her own house and he takes it all out on her. Then he realizes that was wrong and apologizes. Sometimes the same day, sometimes in a day or two but he knows he was wrong. He has days where he gets so aggressive and hits her or throws things at her. Before I arrived he stabbed her with a fork. And I know and I see that it happens when his dose is not the right one. Technically he’s probably taking a different dose every night because of uneven cuts. I desperately need that scale to arrive as soon as possible. 
My plan is to help him gradually switch to Valium. A good doctor once prescribed that one for him but they ended up going to the neurologist the very same day who said it’s better to take klonopin instead. I see that many people who switched from klonopin to Valium say they feel much better on it (I know it’s different for everyone) and that it’s easier to taper off Valium one day if you need to. I know he doesn’t have a long life left in front of him and I know I need to make his life as easy as possible so I’m not even thinking about him not being on a pill that helps him calm. I’m just looking to find one that doesn’t affect him like this stupid Klonopin. 
I know it’s not about me at the moment but I am also not stable emotionally since I’ve been here. I feel lost and scared. I see that if I don’t help them there’s no help for them. You guys and the internet are my biggest hope at the moment!!