Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone have SVT or tachycardia tapering ? What dose did you jump at ?

I’ve developed POTS and high, very high heart rates while tapering, no one knew what was wrong 2 years ago so I was reinstated. I’m now at 0.5mg daily down from 4mg, I can’t complain about the struggle as I am grateful to God to be down this low.. I’ve recently started having very high heart rates again and I know it’s due to tapering. I take propranalol to keep my arrhythmia under control but I was just wondering if anyone who’s experienced this had any relief after jumping and what dose - I can get down to half of 0.125mg is that safe?

I had irregular heartbeat/to fast heartbeat, turned out i had a potassium deficiency. It might not be the case for you, but who knows, but as you say it might "just" be the drug. Im not sure about jumping from that dose, maybe someone else who knows more about that will leave a comment. May you recover fast once off the drug. Take care.

Edited by [Le...]

Jessica, I also developed a severe case of POTS.  I’m happy to report that in time, it faded away and I no longer experience this symptom. I can’t remember exactly when it cleared but I’d guess perhaps a couple months after the acute WD phase. Best of luck and I hope it lets up soon! 

• 2 months later...
[re...]

I know this is going to sound counter productive, but I would exercise slowly at first due to the beta blocker you are on, but try and build up more and more and hopefully you could taper the beta blocker with your doctor.

I would get cleared from your doctor first with exercise. Have you gotten some heart tests? I think it is just the benzo though. Drug withdrawal from head meds cause all kinds of heart issues. My chest sometimes feels so odd the way it beats. It will be scary at first as you probably will feel all kinds of pressure, odd beats, breathlessness, exercise intolerance, etc. I have felt all of these in my exercise journey. I am not bragging, just that I push through them and so far no major events. And if anything I am probably better for it. But for me I am trying not to be obsessed and fearful of death anymore and I have the attitude "what can they do?" really with regards to docs in this. I mean don't get me wrong when the weird heart stuff comes on it is really creepy and I so hate that sensation in my chest. Like we are not supposed to be thinking of these autonomic things, but they get so outta whack with these meds that we get hyper focused on things because everything is working opposite of nature due to these devil meds. 

But even if my heart isn't right. Which maybe it is not. I still know that exercise can rehab it in the long run. And if it gives out then so be it. It is my time. I so don't want it to be. I just have to have hope in all this that it is not and god gives me more time. 

These meds grab on and won't let go. They want subscribers for life IMO. I have some pretty weird heart issues/events as I get lower, but exercise seems to really keep everything going smooth like my BP and heart rate are consistently the best they have ever been. Of course I have yet to jump but at a super low dose of .75 valium at the moment so I am truly praying that it stays the same. 

• Like 2

[re...]

You are at .5 right not so that is a big accomplishment from that monster dose of 4mg so congrats for such a good job. At the same time you are WAY ahead of yourself in regards to thinking this far ahead to .125 and halving it and all this. That is a considerable amount of benzo you are still on and I think you should really think about what you are going to do for this last bit and get a plan in place to nurse your brain and body from this last bit. 

I would micro taper from there down if it was me. I maybe even micro T from .25 down to dust.  Show your doctor the Mark Horowitz literature and the importance of the last bit being the hardest to taper from.