Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

8 months out looking for answers

Hi, new member/first post. I am starting the 9th month of withdrawal after 11 years of taking Xanax then Clonazepam. My worst symptoms is my skin feeling irritated. This is hard to describe. It feels like pins and needles, hot like a sunburn, or a constant buzzing. My doctor prescribed Gabapentin to help with this symptom but I've needed to take a large enough dose to where I just feel groggy or just out of it. Has anyone found a good way to treat this symptom? My other symptoms of muscle aches and head aches are manageable if I can get past the feeling in my skin

Hello @[FO...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I didn't have this symptom but hopefully others will stop by with their experience but it sounds miserable.  Its too bad you have to take so much Gabapentin it practically puts you into a coma, that's not pleasant either.

We're glad you found us and I hope we can offer you some ideas for treating these symptoms.

Pamster

Hello @[FO...]! Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I have taken Xanax for 12 years. I did a 3 month rapid taper. I have just passed my 8th month of freedom . I know you are feeling bad right now, I am,too. I can assure you,that you are doing very very well, I am still quite symptomatic (both physical and mental issues). 

Gabapentin made me drowsy, it was awful to be honest. It itself may cause dependence, and after a while it should be tapered carefully. Does it help with your skin burning, does it worth taking it?

Many of us have this symptom, and the "treatment" is purely symptomatic, wearing clother that are not so tight, taking clothes that are comfortable, that makes a lot of difference, cold showers, warm/cold bottles seem to help some for a while. 

I think you should experiment, find out how you feel better. There seems to be one way to cope with these symtoms and that is pushing through, accept them and have enough patience. I know it is very hard. 

Edited by [Re...]

Burning skin, bugs crawling under skin, acid in the blood, tingling skin. Theses are all common benzos symptoms. 

It will go away.

• Like 3

@[Pa...] hi , new member here , trying to find people for opinions , it's complicated situation and cannot see a way out myself,  is it possible to contact you 

@[FO...] Welcome to the forum. Taking another drug during benzo withdrawal can complicate and prolong recovery. The least potentially complicating thing to do is not to introduce any new drugs into the equation as they all have their own side effect profiles. While some people tolerate additional drugs, others develop more severe injuries from them and have a whole new set of problems in addition to the underlying benzo withdrawal. It happened to me and is not uncommon. After many of us realize the harm that doctors can cause because they are underinformed about withdrawal, we stay away from them, stick with each other, and tolerate our symptoms until they improve. You might want to watch some YouTube videos by Angela Peacock, Melissa Boutilier, and Dr. Josef Witt-Doerring with helpful information on benzo-related topics. There are also benzo coaches you can contact for support.