Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Stopping at 75mg of Librium with No One Who Will Write a Taper Script

Hi all,

I am in a really challenging "new hell". I'm in Northern Indiana after moving in with my folks to stabilize via NYC a couple months back. My PCP in New York wrote me the start of a taper schedule to step down to 75 mg of Libirum / day with the assumption that someone here could continue the taper for me. Unfortunately, all my efforts to find a psychiatrist or physician to help me have been futile. It seems that no one here really knows how to treat benzo withdrawal in a medically safe, responsible way.

Has anyone been in this situation before? Is it safe to stop at 75 mg of Librium / day? I have been on benzos since July of 2017 at high doses. All the literature I've read has flashing red lights telling me to find a taper versus cutting off cold turkey, but I can't seem to find any help.

I am experiencing an on-slot of symptoms that I fear are only going to continue to worsen.

Any words of advice or wisdom / experience here are much appreciated!

Austin

Hello @[Au...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You're correct, its not a good idea to cold turkey any amount of benzodiazepine and I'm sorry you can't find anyone to help you, but this is common.  

Do you have enough medication to safely taper or do you need to find a doctor to continue your supply?  If its the former, we can help you taper, if its the latter, you might try looking for a nurse practitioner to help, I've read here they can be more sympathetic.

Please let us know how we can help you, we know how painful and scary this is.

Thank you for your reply, @[Pa...]. I unfortunately do not have any more medication to write my own taper schedule. I so wish I did.

And interesting re: NP. I have long avoided that route thinking they are not educated enough, but you could be right. I will see who I can find in my area. My parents had a really great NP, but she retired and moved away this past year. I keep thinking how great and easy it would be if she was still here.

I’m sorry-I saw the state listed but did not read the entry and there isn’t 1.

Yesterday I called over 2 dozen psychiatrist’s myself and finally found 1 who is perfect. Maybe you just need to dedicate a day on Google and call, call, call.

On Psychology Today you can email providers. I sent very detailed messages to help finding the right person, and it worked. I’m sure you can also find someone to help you.

If you’re running out you could always go to the ER, explain you need a refill so you can properly taper. They may, only MAY, treat you as someone looking for drugs so have the Ashton Manual handy as evidence of your intentions. Also ask them for referrals to outpatient psychiatrists. They might even have some on staff.

Wishing you great luck!

1 hour ago, [[A...] said:

Thank you for your reply, @[Pa...]. I unfortunately do not have any more medication to write my own taper schedule. I so wish I did.

And interesting re: NP. I have long avoided that route thinking they are not educated enough, but you could be right. I will see who I can find in my area. My parents had a really great NP, but she retired and moved away this past year. I keep thinking how great and easy it would be if she was still here.

How close are you to running out, @[Ma...] is right, a trip to the ER might be in order if things are dire.  

The Ashton manual is a good idea but it might also help to print out this document, its shorter and might get their attention since its more recent. Benzo-Deperscribing.pdf (corxconsortium.org)

@[Au...] If you have to go the ER route, might I suggest that you call attention to the FDA Black Box Warning for Librium.  It states:

“Abrupt discontinuation or rapid dosage reduction of chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride capsules after continued use may precipitate acute withdrawal reactions, which can be life-threatening. To reduce the risk of withdrawal reactions, use a gradual taper to discontinue chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride capsules or reduce the dosage.”

Source:
DailyMed - CHLORDIAZEPOXIDE HYDROCHLORIDE capsule
https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=dd5f82b0-5a56-4728-941a-c8c2a0d51cc4

• Like 3

I would submit requests into every online psych provider like Alma, Betterhelp, Talkspace, Psychology Today and also your insurance company. Don’t panic, there’s lots of great psychs out there. You can also sometimes go to urgent care and they might be able to help you. 

Unfortunately Online providers do not prescribe benzos.

If 1 psychiatrist says they’re not accepting new patients ask them for a referral. Then ask that 1, and the next. It can help you get an appointment.

As a last resort until you find a medical professional to work with, I had to do this when I learned you can’t just stop. 
go to the ER at 4-5 in the morning, tell them you’re having symptoms and tell them you’ll take a drug test. Explain in detail what you are trying to do. They will generally prescribe you 15-20 benzodiazepines if your urine comes back clean. This way you have a safety net.

Thank you, all. I am trying to sort this out today as I need to start back at work next week... Super worried about my cognitive abilities.

Don’t worry or even think about next week. That will take care of itself. You only need to think of today and your tasks at hand.

I tell myself, ‘Come back, we’re not in rehearsal for tomorrow or next week. This is what we’re dealing with TODAY.’

As I said in another thread, not only do I talk to self, but in 3rd person 😉