Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

New bottle compound thoughts

5 1/2mo off K slow taper, very difficult acute lead to trial of mirt for aka which made it worse. Tapering off of with compound liquid I’ve been fully on for 3 weeks now after changing from tablet, and need help with thoughts.

At lower part of mirt compound bottle I don’t have adverse reactions after taking dose , starting new bottle all severe adverse reactions after taking dose come flooding back (severe RLS for hours and all the way til morning, aka hell, insomnia, stomach issues, lights flashing behind eyes, extreme body jolts). 
Then lower I get in bottle, and it’s shaken up well each time, RLS fades to almost none, no reaction after taking with other symptoms, sleep 3-4hrs. 

Have withdrawal symptoms very weak, nauseated and bloating bad yet starving, unsteady walking, heart irregular, buzzing twitching all the benzo type stuff, severe aka spells, bad headaches during day, etc etc …. 

Thoughts please on bottle issue. I’m changing every 15/16 days bc at higher dose so it’s not like it’s getting to 30day advised use/throw out after.

This is interesting. Has to have something to do with potency as you get to the end of each bottle. Right? Sheesh, so confusing. Does your pharmacist have any ideas what could be causing this? Whatever it is, your body is clearly happier with the end of each bottle. If the pharmacist can figure it out, there might be a way to help you be more comfortable the rest of your taper.

Thanks ! He’s not sure bc the expiration is around 35 days and possible longer, that’s a conservative number.

this is all so hard to sort out how to handle. If anyone else has thoughts if they’ve had similar experiences please let me know. This kind of happened with Klonopin compound but it wasn’t as drastic. Upstickk of symptoms when starting new bottle of K each time.

The problem is you could drive yourself mad trying to figure it out.

I have a couple of questions for you: What liquid is being used to compound? What are the ingredients?

Thoughts (and I am pulling straws):

1. Have you asked another compounding pharmacist's opinion?

2. I wonder if it is a reaction to sugar or sweetener they can use in the compounding liquid.

2. It could also be hormonal changes or something else based on the week.

Make sure they use the same formula the entire way down. I had to order mine from another pharmacy and bring it to the compounder because they can change the formula manufacturers and that can exacerbate symptoms. They won't tell you they do it so make sure they know how adverse you are and to keep it 100 percent the same.

I was in a similar position as you. Unfortunately, the only way around is through. Maybe trying going to blind tapering would relieve some of the anticipation. That is why I shifted to blind taper to not have to think about things like this.

Doctors suggested Mirtazepine for me as well and it also made me worse. It is a "frontline treatment" for akathisia but I don't think there is adequate research.

Edited by [Re...]

Thanks @[Re...] yes working with Nicole and she’s doing blind taper with my brother bc this stuff is even worse than k taper and I had a very symptomatic time with long k taper. I never had the doom morning fear gun yo back feel all day until being on mirt. It’s horrendous that on top of focal aka now. my k taper was majority physical and not so severe mental except the internal aka. until I stepped off and mental flooded in.

yes I’ve used compounder for last 2 yrs+ and they know how critical my situation is and how things have to be kept constant. But I’ll def get second opinion.
He has made my formulation without sweetener/no flavoring since beginning with K , basically the least amount of anything for it to work bc I’m so sensitive to stuff. It worked well for Klonopin and I trialed it without Mirtazapine in it to make sure I still did ok wit the suspension vehicle and I was fine. The pure powder threw my body for a loop right away doing crossover 50/50 pill liquid combo, immediately stomach blew up horrific.

Settled into full liqid  two weeks later but adverse crap is so bad and has been after taking all along but steadily gotten worse. I didn’t get info to come down right away before 4 wks on bc it was forced on me at psych hospital first 13 days bc I didn’t have tech to read anything and was too afraid  to throw in toilet….. and then once out of there I had Covid week three to 4 which wasted all my time by the time I figured out how to quickly I needed to come off mirt. Then I was trapped on it. 

it’s in my red category on genetic test and I told psych dr that and she said I don’t care. They wanted to screw with me from minute 1 bc they said I could control aka stuff they didn’t know what aka was and that I was probably bipolar and schizophrenia and wanted to give me lithium. I mentioned mirt as last resort bc I was terrified of lithium and knew Jordan Peterson had used it but I didn’t ever think I’d be in position to take it bc it was in my red and I wanted no meds after K so didn’t know the awfulness of it bc couldn’t read anything (and never did prior bc never thought I’d be on it!!!). Ughhhhh.

The adverse reactions are very severe an hour after taking and since they almost ceased late last week and over weekend I got 2-3yrs sleep during night, I thought oh good changing for the better some. I didn’t worry starting new bottle Tuesday , it didn’t even come to mind that adverse reactions would come back.  Until they hit hard an hour after dose and then up all night. Only thing I can think was it was starting the new bottle which pharm is perplexed too.
surviving AD talks about Mirtazapine being notorious for degradation and why I swapped bottle after two weeks bc I didn’t want it getting close to 30 day mark and people said two week change out helped them. so I knew ahead of time to swap out and figured all would be fine. In my case it still happened. this is only 3rd bottle so need to see how next time goes and how things are as this bottle goes down. I just want so badly up get off this crap and can’t believe I’m stuck on it. K crap in background doesn’t help I know and I do badly wish I was just healing with that, didn’t need another issue and taper. I’m so angry about it bc it didn’t need to happen. Had I been home I would have looked up info right away and never taken one dose. My outside psych had said she would never put me on mirt bc I’m ultra rapid metabolizer yet psych hospital dr said it doesn’t matter what your Dr says and does I don’t care- yghhh. 

it’s been a shitshow since coming off K… my aka turned literal 24/7 insanity no sleep but 20min ever few days, SI to the max urges about 2 1/2 weeks off K….and after 9 straight weeks of 24/7 of mania aka I crumbled and did thing that lead to psych ward hell. 
I knew better for no meds but in there they won’t listen to anything and I can’t even tell all that was done to ne, complete barbaric torture to get me to break they said. I never did but what I endured I can’t even explain now. 

I pray God gives me the ability to get off the mirt, and that the aka will finally lessen once off everything for good. It’s been beyond words and I know you know the feeling. 
hugs and thank you for your support and love. Sending it right back to you.