Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium jumping dose?

For those who did a slow taper off Valium what dose did you jump at? How was the experience for you and would you have done it differently?

Im down to .8 mgs and thinking of when to jump.. 

Last time I was in a clinic and had to jump from 5mg. Hell.

I will jump from 0.5 or 0.1 this time, depends on how I will feel through the taper

• Like 1

@[...] Dr. Heather Ashton, our benzo guru, has people jump at .5 mgs. Many of my buddies jumped at that dose, or tapered down to .25 mg. I'm a weenie so I tapered to zero. I would think twice about jumping at .8. imo that's too big a dose. But how are you feeling? That ought to  be your guiding light. However . . . what's the downside in at least tapering to .5mgs? 

• Like 1

@[or...] I’m definitely not going to jump yet. I’m thinking I’ll go all the way down to .02 for my final dose. 

I’m feeling okay mostly. Symptoms aren’t getting worse as I’m speeding up a bit now. My worst symptom has been head aches. That’s been improving and been less frequent . I believe the medication has caused me to become hypothyroid and adrenal fatigued. I didn’t have the severity of the symptoms of those until I switched to diazapam. I feel the effects of the medication are probably worse than the withdrawal symptoms at this point. Although I’m planning to go to a low dose before I jump, I will be getting there as quickly as I can.

How did you feel after jumping?

Edited by [...]

@[...] I felt exactly the same after jumping as I did on the last bits of valium. I think because I took so long to get rid of the last 1 mg (a year . . . I daily tapered using liquid) I got rid of the nastiest withdrawal effects in that one year. I sure didn't feel  "myself"-- that took a couple of months -- but I didn't feel bad, either. The headaches, nausea, and dizziness that were my worst withdrawal effects were gone.  I had a miserable 3+ year taper and was soooo glad when it was all over.

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 2

@[Ko...] I never stopped working.  I just powered through.  Pretty much I felt about the same stopping my taper as I do on it.  However, I just got over covid and that seems to have stirred up my symptoms some.   :brickwall:

@[Li...]that's encouraging. I need to continue working through this too. I am at 6.75 valium and decrease by .25 mg every 2 weeks. I hope I can tolerate that the whole way down but may have to switch to liquid below 4-5 mg. Its very stressful.

What are your main symptoms?

@[Ko...] I would say my main symptoms are brain fog, emotional numbness, tinnitus on and off, and sinus drainage/congestion, oh and bloating.  Remember to listen to your body.  Usually the lower the dose the harder it is on your body.  When I got to 2 mgs my doctor switched me to liquid.  To me it was so much easier control my tapering.  I could just count the drops.