Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What pillows or sleeping positions are people using with head pain and throbbing like mad?

I've tried all sort of pillows, feather, memory foam, ordinary foam, two together or just one.  I used to sleep so well until about a week ago when I just can't find any position that feels comfortable.  My head is unbelievable all day long and now at night it just wants to carry on doing its thing.  So how does everyone else sleep with this head stuff?

I sleep on my sides with a few pillows so my head is level to slightly uphill. It seemed that when I woke with my head lower the head issues were worse.

Could  just be psychosomatic...

Sometimes when roll over I feel different head sensations, sometimes sorta good, others bad and I have to roll back over. It reminds me of a bad hangover.

Glad to say the head issues just started to lift this week and I had a few good days, prob just a window, but thankful today.

Hoping the best for you.

• Like 3

Nope. But my neurologist, Neuropsych, internal and PsyD ALL suggested it. It also helps with breathing… go figure!

I've heard the left side for digestion, too.  Maybe with the vagus nerve running from the brain all the way to the digestive track there is some kind of link there in terms of what helps pain in both places?  IDK, just a thought.  I'm running on very little sleep right now, so take it with a grain of salt. :)

@[WU...], I've you tried a sleepy hollow pillow?  It works pretty well for me most nights. Not perfect, but what is in all this?

I sleep, and sometimes not, as i've always done, on both sides in turn. The pillow is low and one more over my head. I've tried a couple of different pillows, the low is best of all for me.

Wu Wei, hope your head and everyone's else will stop bothering us at least at nights, just some temporary "inconvenience".

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

I use two feather pillows and sleep on one side or the other.  My nerves seem to make the surface of my skin very sensitive.  I can't stand to lie or sit in one position very long.  Even the bottoms of my feet hurt when I stand up for more the 15-30 minutes.  I do tend to sleep in spurts.  I've had terrible urination problems since I started BZ WD and my bladder tends to wake me up frequently as well.  The whole thing does make for a bit of a night time ordeal.  It seems like no matter how much sleep I get at night, I still wake up exhausted and must lie down and rest every couple of hours during the day.  

• Like 1

Hi WuWei….  for the head pressure sometimes I wear wide headband to bed that wraps front to back so it also covers my forehead eyes snd sinuses. I think the compression helps.  Recently I switched to a neck gaiter over my entire head from above the nose up - it looks super silly.  I hope your wave ebbs soon.

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

Left, right, back, front,  I think I would rather take lessons from the way a cat or dog sleeps than a white coated medic!  Animals have vagus nerves too and I doubt they think it is better to sleep on their left side.

I also use a neck gaiter, because it feels comfy and I don't want a cold neck in the night. Prefer feathers to anything synthetic. It is just awful how we can sleep all night and wake up exhausted. 

Happy healing to us all ! Grrrrrrr

• Like 2