Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does your looks come back after withdrawal?

38 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

I think that’s a question worth putting away until we’ve recovered @[Pi...]

All those emotions like anger and frustration only hit our nervous systems harder and increase symptoms, so we’re best to let go for now (if we can) and ponder them later. 

I know… easier said than done. 

But, emotional stress really does only make our experience worse. 🫂

I’m serious, throwing ice cubes at the side of the house or at a safe object in the yard temporarily helps. I know it sounds funny but I’m serious!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I remain droopy and deadpan faced, when I recover I will audition for super creepy weirdo acting roles on tv or in films. Might as well work it, right?

Edited by [wi...]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

[e9...]
1 hour ago, [[w...] said:

I’m serious, throwing ice cubes at the side of the house or at a safe object in the yard temporarily helps. I know it sounds funny but I’m serious!

Completely agree with releasing any build up of stress and tension by any means possible… better to throw ice at the side of the house or punch it out on a punching bag than a real person. 

Just meant (where possible, if possible), potentially one may be able to save on ice cubes/energy if we can put a few of those external stressors on the shelf until after recovery. 

I notice I do still often get angry with the medical community (I did the other day), but,  I guess, I just seem to let go of the emotion quicker now, as opposed to in the early days where I was constantly being triggered into anger and frustration by the ignorance shown by the majority of those in the medical community. 

Edited by Guest

@[Wi...]

I take ativan for insomnia , currently 1-1.5 mg but it's not as effective ,sometimes I get 2 hours from 1 mg which is terrible,  can't function on that . Problem for me is that ativan doesn't agree with me and I couldn't figure it out for a long time ,so increasing the dose would give me more unwanted effects I assume, I think that it decreases my appetite but don't know if can switch to a different one after so many months 

[e9...]

@[...]

Do you dose more than once a day? or only before bed?

Lorazepams (Ativan) half life 8 - 24hrs is basically as short as Alprazolam (Xanax) 9 - 20hrs, so I’m wondering whether your blood serum level is dropping so low between doses that when you finally dose again, it doesn’t quite settle you after your blood serum level has dropped so low through that 24hr period. 

What about wrinkles?  I've screamed and frowned so much I got new wrinkles; I don't dare look in the mirror any more.

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether my look will come back or not but i hope it will) i never looked in the mirror throughout the hard time of benzo tolerance and my taper. I wasn't interested... But as soon as i actually jumped off benzo something changed. I started to make up again and sometimes i really like the woman looking back at me out of the mirror, not always though but there is always room for improvement)

• Like 1

Winter sun: I'm not sure it's the ignorance of the medical system so much as just ignoring the evidence. People like us are rocking the boat of a very lucrative business. Telling us we have issues and it's not the drug is a major defense mechanism for them. Accepting reality would be a difficult "Pill" for them to swallow. They're not going to do it with maybe a few exceptions. It's part of the indoctrination they go through in Med school. They are smart we are ignorant and not educated. Ever try to disagree with you doctor? Many of them are very condescending and talk down to you. That's why I'm here. I'm not going to go to the person who caused this disaster then threw me to the wolves and ask their advice. If you want to get some blood work or tests fine. But from here on in I make the decisions on my health not the doc. Not saying this out of anger (maybe a little :boxer:) it's just where I'm at. And yes the focus needs to be on getting better. The lesson learned is do your own research before trusting the "experts" on anything. That was part of our indoctrination unfortunately. 

• Like 2

[e9...]
2 hours ago, [[S...] said:

What about wrinkles?  I've screamed and frowned so much I got new wrinkles; I don't dare look in the mirror any more.

The more unwell and symptomatic I am, the more wrinkly I seem to appear. On a better day, somehow I don’t seem to appear quite as wrinkly. 

As for wrinkles my new "beauty" regime since this debacle started is to splash my face with copious amounts of cold water. Turns out this has benefits for all sorts of reasons.

• Like 1

[e9...]
5 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Winter sun: I'm not sure it's the ignorance of the medical system so much as just ignoring the evidence. People like us are rocking the boat of a very lucrative business. Telling us we have issues and it's not the drug is a major defense mechanism for them. Accepting reality would be a difficult "Pill" for them to swallow. They're not going to do it with maybe a few exceptions. It's part of the indoctrination they go through in Med school. They are smart we are ignorant and not educated. Ever try to disagree with you doctor? Many of them are very condescending and talk down to you. That's why I'm here. I'm not going to go to the person who caused this disaster then threw me to the wolves and ask their advice. If you want to get some blood work or tests fine. But from here on in I make the decisions on my health not the doc. Not saying this out of anger (maybe a little :boxer:) it's just where I'm at. And yes the focus needs to be on getting better. The lesson learned is do your own research before trusting the "experts" on anything. That was part of our indoctrination unfortunately. 

That’s what I meant… @[Pi...]

Ignorance… ignoring the evidence. 

Yes… I’m understand your points as to why that ignorance continues to exist 👍 I’ve agonised over your points for long hours, on many occasion, until I eventually accepted that by doing so, I was only making my withdrawal experience worse. So I promised myself that I would put that frustration and anger to rest (as much as possible) just for now, in exchange for doing everything I can to bring change once on the other side. 

@[Pi...] Three cheers, I agree with everything you say. Yes I did disagree with the last doctor I saw. I told him I thought the medical system was medieval and barbaric and didn't seem to have anything to back up its claims. His body language changed and he didn't look at me in the face, just hung his head down low and mumbled something unintelligible. I thought poor man, he doesn't believe in what he is doing, he should take up another profession, cleaning out drains would be more beneficial! 

• Haha 1

Winters Sun: I wasn't trying to trigger you or anyone else and I'm sorry if I did. I've been an analyzer all my life. Tough to turn my head off. It has benefits but also causes problems like difficulty sleeping which is where this story started.

WU WEI: Keep your sense of humor through this! Laughing at the devil really helps! My GP has been on me for 30 years to go on BP meds. When I take my BP at home it's fine. When he comes at me with the white coat its always high. We got in an argument about it years ago which really helped the reading:2funny:. Every med he ever put me on made me sick and dizzy. When I told him he said "you need to find a drug your body can tolerate". That's a cure?? The man is a physical wreck and ended up having a heart attack because of his poor diet and lifestyle. I'm not telling you this because I think it's funny it's not. Just saying I've learned to not be intimidated by the white coat. Knock on wood I've been fine probably because I joined a gym 30 years ago.  

• Like 1

@[Wi...]

I take ativan for insomnia , currently 1-1.5 mg but it's not as effective ,sometimes I get 2 hours from 1 mg which is terrible,  can't function on that . Problem for me is that ativan doesn't agree with me and I couldn't figure it out for a long time ,so increasing the dose would give me more unwanted effects I assume, I think that it decreases my appetite but don't know if can switch to a different one after so many months 

[e9...]
52 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Winters Sun: I wasn't trying to trigger you or anyone else and I'm sorry if I did. I've been an analyzer all my life. Tough to turn my head off. It has benefits but also causes problems like difficulty sleeping which is where this story started.

You didn’t trigger me at all @[Pi...]

we all go through this period of anger towards the medical profession, but we do manage to let go to some degree over time.

I understand over analysis… I’ve done it all my life. 👍

@[Wi...]

I take ativan once a day , at bedtime, initially i started this way with SSRI for anxiety and it was supposed to be temporary for insomnia till antidepressant starts working .                                                           It's a bad drug for me , gives me bad side effects and now bearly even helps with sleep. I am stuck with it now, cannot quit cold turkey,  when tried reducing dose few weeks ago for few days , it was bad , couldn't tolerate it and went back to previous dose but it's working very poorly, so I don't know how am I going to stop it .

I was wandering what happens when benzo stops working and dose is not increased, are withdrawals worse or any dangerous things can happen like seizures or heart issues 

[e9...]
56 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I remember all the times I lost my shit with doctors 😁

[e9...]

So just go back out of this thread to the whole list of threads. Then look for ‘Start New Topic’ at the top righthand side. Tap on Start new topic. Name the topic in the top field provided and then either copy and paste you other two messages in the message field or simply write out the messages again.