Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Are very severe prolonged withdrawal symptoms typical or less common?

I'm curious. Naturally many who post here are experiencing or have experienced severe withdrawal symptoms and need support.

When I read that I will likely have severe withdrawal that may not improve for up to 5 yrs I must say that my anxiety goes up and my level of hope drops.  Are there ppl out there that may begin to feel ' normal' say, a year after stopping completely? Are they, do you think, in the majority? 

I guess I'm looking for statistics which may be hard to present as possibly those who have an easier time of it after a very slow taper post here less?

Your thoughts.

Thanks for all your support! xx

• Like 1

I’d say, from what I understand, only approximately 10% or so suffer withdrawals longer than a few weeks or a month.

Hopefully you are 1 of them! Until then learn what you need here then don’t.come.back! Especially if it exacerbates your anxiety!!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I’d say, from what I understand, only approximately 10% or so suffer withdrawals longer than a few weeks or a month.

Hopefully you are 1 of them! Until then learn what you need here then don’t.come.back! Especially if it exacerbates your anxiety!!!!!!!

Not sure this is quite accurate… a few weeks or a month of withdrawal after jump is not in the majority, I’m afraid. Maybe you meant to state that differently?

Regardless, @[At...] don’t be discouraged. I am over 3 years out. During that time, I’ve had MANY stretches of feeling like myself and ‘normal’. I’ve travelled, started a new job, exercised, adventured…. Just like I used to, before this benzo mess. That’s not to say it’s been easy, as windows and waves were a part of those years too. Over time they diminished in severity and frequency, and up until a recent illness, I felt almost healed. I am currently in a setback, and some days are hard, but nothing like they used to be. 

For me, I was back at work within 4 months of the end of my taper. I was pretty miserable but certainly wouldn’t describe it as severe withdrawal. After a year, I had significantly improved and the windows were more frequent. For me, setbacks are almost always tied to extreme stress or reaction to medication/supplements.

Hopefully this helps ease your anxiety. Things do get better. We find new ways of living and finding joy. And… stay positive. It goes a long way towards  your healing 💗 

• Like 4

According to the USDOJ there were 93.4 MILLION benzodiazepine prescriptions in 2021.

Most, let me say that again, MOST, walk off fine.

Do not be discouraged!!!!

Right… I see what you were referring to now. OVERALL withdrawal stats from Benzos. But if you find yourself here, it is likely that you are experiencing symptoms outside of the range of normal. I was devastated by the fact that I was in the minority…. But then quickly realized that even 10% of us that fall into this area of grey, make up for a pretty big chunk of people.

yes, let’s normalize that most recover just fine AND that you will be ok if you don’t fall into that group. I agree, don’t be discouraged!

Edited by [Ma...]

I understand how the original poster feels, just wanting to know how common protracted withdrawal is. I came here at the beginning of my taper in May 2023. I was on 1 mg Klonopin for 22 years and worried about dementia. I’m down to .625 after 9 months and haven’t had much trouble except for horrible insomnia, which is why I came back here today. When I was signing in so often and reading everything in every topic, I got more and more anxious about the next cut. I just try to think positive. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

I understand how the original poster feels, just wanting to know how common protracted withdrawal is. I came here at the beginning of my taper in May 2023. I was on 1 mg Klonopin for 22 years and worried about dementia. I’m down to .625 after 9 months and haven’t had much trouble except for horrible insomnia, which is why I came back here today. When I was signing in so often and reading everything in every topic, I got more and more anxious about the next cut. I just try to think positive. 

Hello @[Ad...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

It sounds like you've made very good progress and you're right, its important to keep a positive mindset but when we read too many horror stories, its difficult to keep it. 

We're glad you're here and hope to see your success story one of these days. 

• Love 1

@[Ad...] Have you tried Magnesium for your insomnia? Some tolerate it, others don’t. Others also take Remeron. Just a thought.

And WTG on your taper. Sounds like you’re doing great!

• Like 1

Off six months after 30 years of switching between all of the benzos.

I am SO HAPPY!!

Symptoms improving and resolving now by the day ever since healing kicked into high gear after five months.

Hang in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[T...] said:

day 30 of detox and today I feel terrible

Hello @[Ta...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

We're very interested in hearing your story, please start a thread of your own so we can help you.

20 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

I am SO HAPPY!!

Symptoms improving and resolving now by the day ever since healing kicked into high gear after five months.

Hang in there.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies @[mb...], and thank you for sharing your good news.  I hope you'll start a thread of your own so we can hear the details of your journey.

• Love 1

It's been 23 months and I still have terrible insomnia, in fact I'm worse now than a few months ago. This is terrible but I hold on to the fact that my other symptoms are gone so I hope to recover. Although I don't understand why this big setback.Before it was almost every night I slept 4 hours interrupted and now almost every night 2 hours. It's very depressing, I don't know how much my body can last without hardly any sleep.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, [[m...] said:

I am SO HAPPY!!

Hang in there.

That's so encouraging to heal, so you only start feeling better after 5 months? 

I'm four months off and while it's like night and day compared to acute CT but I'm far from normal. I'm about the same i was two months ago. I have stsrted to get my intrest back in things and don't pacing around the house 24/7 which was the case a couple of months ago so I'm slowly getting better i guess.

It feels like I'm stuck in a very bad hangover but loads of coffee helps with that. 

Edited by Guest

I have jumped off 10 mg Xanax a day for two years on October 1st , 2023 . beginning of February I started feeling somehow normal again after a horrible months 1 and 2  and somewhat bearable month 3 and 4 . now I can see the light after thinking I would never see it again . I am not 100% There yet , but I am about 70% . I think the 6 months mark will be my salvation . just like I read .

Don't be discouraged , most people take them 2-6 months , some more than 6 months . but trust me it is much nicer on this side ..good luck

• Like 4

1 minute ago, [[m...] said:

Improvements occurred from day one, but those improvements feel like pain and death. In fact, it is healing.

Profound healing has been evidenced from month 5-6, but I had small victories along the way that helped me hang on.

I am sure you have something improving. It is difficult to have gratitude while in wd; it helped me so much to use mindfulness during this process.

Pain means im healing? I have severe head pressure and pain and the last thing on my mind is that im healing. It feels more like im dying...

mbello19644 minutes ago  

Your body changed it's normal functioning while you were on benzos. The body always strives for homeostasis), or balance. With any drug, our body changes in response, then the drug becomes necessary for balance.

7 hours ago, [[m...] said:

My hot flashes and night sweats stopped month 4 mostly. I still have agoraphobia,  but I went out today and even drove!

That's very positive. And the more you gradually challenge your fears and phobia(s), the more they will fade away.

• Like 1
  • Love 1