Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering off klonopin

I've been tapering off klonopin .5mgs twice a day, started October 21 2023.My first cut was .25 morning dose then on December 4th I cut .25 at night,held ,I was having withdrawls, tinnitus, dizziness, little nausea,inner vibration in my head and back,by January 7th they got better so I cut .125 and added a mid day dose to spead it out so I am now taking .125 3 times a day ,went and saw a drug doctor for help on January 11th and felt pretty good and she said I was doing fine with the taper. 3 days later everything got worse then before and no sleep! She said we'll hold and I'll get better, It's now February 11,and things have been pretty bad except for the last 4 days sleeping a little more.I think I might have tappered to fast.Im at .375 a day and I don't know if I should still hold or my doctor thinks I might want to go back to .25 twice a day till I stabilize then go down slower and a lesser amount, we've found a compounding place that will make it in a liquid so I can decrease it in smaller amounts each time .Need to know whether I should keep holding or go back up ,I've tried different doctors a none seem to know what to do ,this is crazy, I was given this in 2018 for back spasms and sleep at .5 just at night eventually in 2022 she raised it to 1mg ,I wish I would of read up on what this does to a person. I would of never have taken it 

• Like 2

Hi @[Ro...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Sounds like you've been through quite an ordeal. Most of us had no idea what benzo's were when we started taking them.

I think you've tapered too fast. To give you an idea, it took me approximately 20 months to taper from 1mg Klonopin and remain functional while doing so. Generally we recommend reductions of no more than 5-10% of each new daily dose every two weeks. In saying that, each person reacts differently to withdrawal and some people can go a bit faster and some people need to go slower. 

I agree with your doctor that you probably need to updose. You can start with 0.125mg increase but I'm not sure if that will be enough given your start dose. You might need to go higher. The purpose is to get you stable and functional. I did something similar to you at the start of my taper and rapidly reduced where I ended up in a world of pain. I updosed, got stable and it helped me get in a position to where I could taper again and feel at least functional. I am now completely off.

Ultimately it remains your decision what you feel comfortable with. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

From my experience klon, .25 twice a day sounds like a logical starting point considering your details.

Klonopin is long acting and make smaller cuts going forward.

Glad your not having mental issues.

Good luck 

• Like 1

Hi @[Ro...]

Seems crazy to me as well.  I was on a lot longer than you, but I was lucky to hear about slow-tapers.  I do a dry taper, weigh it on small jewelry scale, and it's working ok for me.  I've had some bad times even tapering a small amount, like 3% tapers, but the worst were when I did a cold-turkey, and a few years after that, I was weaned too fast by a my doctor I still have, and he was choosing my taper amount at .25 per month.  Too fast for me. 

If your doctor is willing to let you find your "sort of" comfort zone with tapering, that's excellent.  No one else is in our shoes, but I fully understand having to rely on a doctor for the prescription so we can taper, and not go too fast or end up like many that don't get to taper at all, they're just taken off a benzo, CT.

For me the slow, small percent cuts are the best, and I hold after that.  Usually it's been a month to hold a dose, but my last cut was only 1% because I'm hoping I don't have to hold as long.  Even if I do the whole 3% within say, a month, at 1% at a time, it still feels like I'm progressing faster, lol ;) 

Most around here seem to be recommending between 5 and 10% tapers, so you could maybe go back to your .25 w/doc, and get stable.  We know what we can handle and still have a life (no horrible wd sxs). If you feel you can still remain active with your present dose, I know some will suggest holding that to see if you stabilize, only you can decide, oregonlady :hug:

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, [[j...] said:

Hi @[Ro...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Sounds like you've been through quite an ordeal. Most of us had no idea what benzo's were when we started taking them.

I think you've tapered too fast. To give you an idea, it took me approximately 20 months to taper from 1mg Klonopin and remain functional while doing so. Generally we recommend reductions of no more than 5-10% of each new daily dose every two weeks. In saying that, each person reacts differently to withdrawal and some people can go a bit faster and some people need to go slower. 

I agree with your doctor that you probably need to updose. You can start with 0.125mg increase but I'm not sure if that will be enough given your start dose. You might need to go higher. The purpose is to get you stable and functional. I did something similar to you at the start of my taper and rapidly reduced where I ended up in a world of pain. I updosed, got stable and it helped me get in a position to where I could taper again and feel at least functional. I am now completely off.

Ultimately it remains your decision what you feel comfortable with. 

Thank-you so much for replying! I've been a mess.Do you think I should go back to the 2 doses and how much of a dose increase should I do ?

[4e...]

Hi @[Ro...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I agree with the above posts. 

Here’s how I see it…

You got through the first two cuts okay, although you did clearly have symptoms. You did the right thing by reducing the third cut percentage, but those first two cuts were huge, with the second .25 cut pushing you close to the edge. Although you then cut .125mg, you were still too close to the edge (vulnerable) to tolerate the cut, and also split your daily doses from 2 to 3 at the same time, which may or may not have had an additional impact… (just suggesting it’s probably better to split or combine doses when you are stable, rather than directly after a cut).

We are all different when it comes to how we tolerate reductions (percentages), but often we get a false sense of security from tolerating our previous cuts, and then have a tendency to jump the gun with our next cut, either too soon, or to much, without realising how vulnerable our systems are (standing at a cliffs edge) to that next cut. 

It can take considerable time to stabilise when you crash. It took 14 weeks before I stabilised enough to taper again, and personally, if I had my time again, I would have updosed in order to stabilise faster, rather than putting my system through that long ordeal. My own personal theory is - the longer I remain destabilised, the slower I have to go once I resume my taper because of the ordeal my system has been through. I think it’s better to up-dose and stabilise faster and avoid the extended impact to your system. 

Personally, I would up-dose to .5mg per day, and see how you go over that first couple of weeks. Remember, it won’t happen overnight… the stabilisation will happen faster than not up-dosing, but it still may take a couple of weeks to see the improvement.

I regard to your question about going back to dosing twice per day… what was the reason behind switching to dosing 3 times per day? 

3 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Hi @[Ro...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I agree with the above posts. 

Here’s how I see it…

You got through the first two cuts okay, although you did clearly have symptoms. You did the right thing by reducing the third cut percentage, but those first two cuts were huge, with the second .25 cut pushing you close to the edge. Although you then cut .125mg, you were still too close to the edge (vulnerable) to tolerate the cut, and also split your daily doses from 2 to 3 at the same time, which may or may not have had an additional impact… (just suggesting it’s probably better to split or combine doses when you are stable, rather than directly after a cut).

We are all different when it comes to how we tolerate reductions (percentages), but often we get a false sense of security from tolerating our previous cuts, and then have a tendency to jump the gun with our next cut, either too soon, or to much, without realising how vulnerable our systems are (standing at a cliffs edge) to that next cut. 

It can take considerable time to stabilise when you crash. It took 14 weeks before I stabilised enough to taper again, and personally, if I had my time again, I would have updosed in order to stabilise faster, rather than putting my system through that long ordeal. My own personal theory is - the longer I remain destabilised, the slower I have to go once I resume my taper because of the ordeal my system has been through. I think it’s better to up-dose and stabilise faster and avoid the extended impact to your system. 

Personally, I would up-dose to .5mg per day, and see how you go over that first couple of weeks. Remember, it won’t happen overnight… the stabilisation will happen faster than not up-dosing, but it still may take a couple of weeks to see the improvement.

I regard to your question about going back to dosing twice per day… what was the reason behind switching to dosing 3 times per day? 

I read on a different forum that it might help to add another dose to keep it even in your body 

3 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

I read on a different forum that it might help to add another dose to keep it even in your body 

I think I'll updose back to .5,and go back to 2 doses .Thank-you so much for you info you don't know how much this means to me !!

That depends on which benzos you are using. Klon can be once a day. Xanax is quicker and need to be two or three times a day.

• Like 1

[4e...]

@[Ro...]

Klonopin has a relatively long half life, and, from what I’ve seen here on this forum, the majority here tapering Klonopin generally find that dosing once or twice a day is quite comfortable… (no interdose withdrawals).

There may be a few that need to dose 3 times, but unless you are sure you experience interdose withdrawals dosing twice a day, I wouldn’t be adding that 3rd dose. I would simply dose twice per day. 

I think you will find that @[je...] only dose once per day, if I remember correctly. 

[4e...]

It’s okay @[Ro...]

You’ll find plenty of support here.

I wouldn’t worry about the switch back… you are up-dosing, not reducing. 

1 minute ago, [[W...] said:

It’s okay @[Ro...]

You’ll find plenty of support here.

I wouldn’t worry about the switch back… you are up-dosing, not reducing. 

Thanks so much Winters sun!!

[4e...]

Keep us updated @[Ro...]

And once you feel stable again, it’s probably best if you taper within that 5 -10% range every 10 - 14 days, or as symptoms allow. 

This is where you now learn to remain patient and listen closely to your body. 👍

Many of us have hit the same pitfall in our early stages. 

You’ll be okay! 

3 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Keep us updated @[Ro...]

And once you feel stable again, it’s probably best if you taper within that 5 -10% range every 10 - 14 days, or as symptoms allow. 

This is where you now learn to remain patient and listen closely to your body. 👍

Many of us have hit the same pitfall in our early stages. 

You’ll be okay! 

Thanks again!!!👍

I was like you and went incredibly fast when I began tapering.  I went from 1.0 mg quickly (couple months) down to 0.5 and then the wheels fell off when I got down to 0.4.  I updosed back to 0.5 and held for almost 2 months and feel so much better now, but it took a few weeks to stabilize.  I started cutting again a couple weeks ago and am just doing 5% every 10-14 days now and seeing how it goes. So far so good - on my first 2 cuts I’m back down to .45.  I’m definitely not in a rush after what happened to me last fall.  I’ll get off this med eventually but I want to remain as functional as possible.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, [[R...] said:

Thank-you so much for replying! I've been a mess.Do you think I should go back to the 2 doses and how much of a dose increase should I do ?

You can go back to two doses a day. Practically it's easier to taper less doses. I think you can start off with going back to 0.5mg but I'm not sure if that will be enough. If you don't feel any difference in 24hrs then I would add another 0.125mg. 

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 13:15, [[j...] said:

You can go back to two doses a day. Practically it's easier to taper less doses. I think you can start off with going back to 0.5mg but I'm not sure if that will be enough. If you don't feel any difference in 24hrs then I would add another 

On 12/02/2024 at 05:36, [[o...] said:

Hi @[Ro...]

Seems crazy to me as well.  I was on a lot longer than you, but I was lucky to hear about slow-tapers.  I do a dry taper, weigh it on small jewelry scale, and it's working ok for me.  I've had some bad times even tapering a small amount, like 3% tapers, but the worst were when I did a cold-turkey, and a few years after that, I was weaned too fast by a my doctor I still have, and he was choosing my taper amount at .25 per month.  Too fast for me. 

If your doctor is willing to let you find your "sort of" comfort zone with tapering, that's excellent.  No one else is in our shoes, but I fully understand having to rely on a doctor for the prescription so we can taper, and not go too fast or end up like many that don't get to taper at all, they're just taken off a benzo, CT.

For me the slow, small percent cuts are the best, and I hold after that.  Usually it's been a month to hold a dose, but my last cut was only 1% because I'm hoping I don't have to hold as long.  Even if I do the whole 3% within say, a month, at 1% at a time, it still feels like I'm progressing faster, lol ;) 

Most around here seem to be recommending between 5 and 10% tapers, so you could maybe go back to your .25 w/doc, and get stable.  We know what we can handle and still have a life (no horrible wd sxs). If you feel you can still remain active with your present dose, I know some will suggest holding that to see if you stabilize, only you can decide, oregonlady :hug:

On 11/02/2024 at 22:44, [[R...] said:

I've been tapering off klonopin .5mgs twice a day, started October 21 2023.My first cut was .25 morning dose then on December 4th I cut .25 at night,held ,I was having withdrawls, tinnitus, dizziness, little nausea,inner vibration in my head and back,by January 7th they got better so I cut .125 and added a mid day dose to spead it out so I am now taking .125 3 times a day ,went and saw a drug doctor for help on January 11th and felt pretty good and she said I was doing fine with the taper. 3 days later everything got worse then before and no sleep! She said we'll hold and I'll get better, It's now February 11,and things have been pretty bad except for the last 4 days sleeping a little more.I think I might have tappered to fast.Im at .375 a day and I don't know if I should still hold or my doctor thinks I might want to go back to .25 twice a day till I stabilize then go down slower and a lesser amount, we've found a compounding place that will make it in a liquid so I can decrease it in smaller amounts each time .Need to know whether I should keep holding or go back up ,I've tried different doctors a none seem to know what to do ,this is crazy, I was given this in 2018 for back spasms and sleep at .5 just at night eventually in 2022 she raised it to 1mg ,I wish I would of read up on what this does to a person. I would of never have taken it 

Wanted to thank everyone one for all your knowledge and advice yesterday! I had a couple of .5mg pills left so I split them yesterday and took .25 in morning and .25 twelve hrs later at night ,felt better last night and today so I called my doctor and she called in a prescription for .25 of ODT clonazepam twice a day ,so I don't have to split them . I'll take them till I feel my body is right for tapering again.Kinda confused on tapering from there ,whether to get a scale and lean how to dry cut and figure out percentage and whether to taper both doses at the same time or whether to use a compounded solution that my doctor talked with her pharmacist friend said she could make, it only lasts 14 days.I would really appreciate any input on which direction I might go,since my doctor has no idea on how to do this ,but she's willing to work with me ,I just want to get off this and not blow the tapering like I did the first time ! Again thanks so much!!

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better already. It's really up to you which tapering method you're comfortable with. I don't think one is more accurate than the other, but I do think compounded liquid is easier because it's less hassle. But getting your meds every 14 days sounds like another hassle to me. I think we have a Clonazepam pharmacy compounded solution for 30 days if I'm not mistaken that you can provide the pharmacist. 

Also, ODT'S are not ideal for shaving. You're going to need the pill if you want to shave and weigh. 

Let us know what you feel comfortable with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [[j...] said:

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better already. It's really up to you which tapering method you're comfortable with. I don't think one is more accurate than the other, but I do think compounded liquid is easier because it's less hassle. But getting your meds every 14 days sounds like another hassle to me. I think we have a Clonazepam pharmacy compounded solution for 30 days if I'm not mistaken that you can provide the pharmacist. 

Also, ODT'S are not ideal for shaving. You're going to need the pill if you want to shave and weigh. 

Let us know what you feel comfortable with. 

Thanks jelly baby, had my roughest night last night slept a hour woke up a 2am head and body vibrating, head making loud piercing noise inside, hot ,legs would not relax, really anxious,weak and sick feeling. Wrapped  my body around a couple of pillows and held on for a while, it was crazy!!Blew me away!Happened again at 4:30. Been feeling so so today,i dont know if i want to even try to sleep tonight! The day before i felt pretty good except when I read my head would get that vibration inside after a bit,little nausea seems to happen when I concentrate or when I wake from any sleep .Dont know if my body just needs to still stabilize ,they said it might take a couple weeks. Been splitting a .5 clonazepam pill .25 twice a day since I last talked with you Monday, I had a few left, my doctor put in prescription for ODT .25 clonazepam twice a day but I haven't picked them up yet, I left her a message that I wanted .5 clonazepam and I would split and I would use it to taper later with it ,I read the ODT release faster and don't last as long, and I didn't want to go back and forth with different type pills as I taper eventually. Was wondering what everyone thought about it? Still wondering about the compounding liquid because of the 14 days and yes if I could get any information on the 30 day solution would be great ! Sorry I went on but what is happening I just craz!! Thank-you so much for everything you've done!! Don't know what I would have done without everyone on this forum,just glad there's people like you to help get thru this !!

I'm wondering if you shouldn't updose by another 0.125mg? How do you feel about that? One of your doses will then be 0.375 and the other 0.25.