Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Having a horrible time with the flu. Please help.

Hi everyone, I'm not even sure where to start. I came down with a terrible flu last Tuesday, February 6th. I had unbearable body aches, a fever, sore throat, and a cough. I also had terrible insomnia for the first four nights. Even though I don't normally take acetaminophen, over 3 days I took five pills of acetaminophen, 500 mg each. I spread out the doses so that I never took them less than 8 hours apart. The flu seemed to run its course and the fever and aches only lasted for about 48 hours, maybe a little longer. I still have tye cough and very mild congestion.

Now I am left with really bizarre neurological symptoms, even worse than usual, and I can't figure out if it's from the withdrawal being impacted by the flu or possibly the acetaminophen which I typically stay away from.

I am having severe weakness, even more than usual, and extreme fogginess that makes it difficult for me to concentrate on anything. I have no appetite and when I do eat I get jittery and shaky. I am also extremely weepy and just generally horribly uncomfortable in my body. My brain feels very mushy and stimulation is difficult for me to handle.

Before this my taper had been going better and I was experiencing pretty good cognitive function and a modest improvement in physical symptoms. I was having windows about every other day or sometimes daily. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Sometimes I feel like I need to go to the ER, but I am terrified of contracting another illness or suffering another setback from something they might offer. I know I'm rambling at this point, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me.

Also, I have become preoccuppied with researching things like encephalitis, acetaminophen toxicity, and the like. 

Thank you for any input or experience you can share.💜

Hi @[An...]

I'm sorry you’re having such a tough time of it… you’re not alone. Viral infections are really triggering for our systems. I contracted Covid in late November after being off of Benzos for 3 years, and I am still experiencing significant setbacks and sensitivities.

What you describe, though, sounds exactly like what I had, which was more the virus symptoms than anything else. You are still tapering, so any illness is just going to feel that much worse. The fear you describe is normal for a tapering brain…. I still battle it, all these years later.

For me, I’m just aware that it may take me a really long time to recover from the inflammation that Covid has caused. Any viral infection has a normal window of recovery, and it’s longer than most people think. 

It’s always good to check in with a healthcare provider if you have concerning symptoms, but setbacks from being sick are really common. It might take time, but those windows will return.

Thank you, @[Ma...]. I hope you continue to feel better from the covid infection. Sheesh, these assaults on our cns are brutal.

Finally feeling relief from the flu. It was something else. Took until a couple of days ago to be able to sweep a floor and pick up around the house for a few minutes. But, hoping things stay steady, now. For both of us!!

• Like 1