Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Alprazolam Addiction And Mental Disorders

Hi everyone, I am from Russia. I have a very serious problem, I can't live for 3 years. I have been bedridden for 3 years. It all started with the fact that I got derealization and depersonalization, anxiety-depressive disorder, severe depression, panic attacks and much more. Against this background I started having physical pains, I didn't realize what was wrong, it was excruciating, but I went to the doctor and they prescribed me alprazolam, antidepressants and some other pills. After taking 1 pill of alprazolam I became more or less normal and was happy, but what is happening now is just death, it's excruciating withdrawal and I don't know what to do, is there a way out of this? Will I still be able to live? I'm trying to get off alprazolam, right now my dosage is 2.80mg. I used to take up to 8 mg. It went with the flow, took 3 mg a day, after a year it was 4 mg. after six months it was 6 mg. after another six months it was 8 mg. I have been taking it every day for three years now. I used to drink it so that first 4 pills in one go, then another 4, this is an example, just for an example, I never stretched one at a time for the whole day, that's how the body got used to it and just can't do anything. I have no hope anymore, I am doomed. Please help me

Hello @[...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

No, you are not 'doomed'. Most of our members are either actively tapering off benzodiazepines or they have completed their taper.

What dose pills do you use? How are you achieving a dose of 2.8mg?

Alprazolam (Xanax) is available 0.25mg doses. If you do not have these, I recommend that, if you can, obtaining some tablets in this dose, as it will allow you to make smaller reductions.

Typically, members taper off by splitting their pills into halves or (if they can mange it) even into quarters.

Others, if they cannot achieve small enough doses by pill-splitting, they will crush their pills and either use an over-the-counter suspension agent, or use an inexpensive jewellers scales* to make smaller reductions. I recommend using scales over liquid, but they each have their plusses and minuses.

But in the first instance, in your shoes, i would employ simple pill-splitting. A typical members will reduce their dose by about 10% every two weeks, but their much variability in what can be reasonably tolerated. Some make smaller reductions and/or allow longer between each reduction to their dose. Mileage varies - you should adjust your taper according to how you react.

* They are available for about $20-25 (USD), and will need to measure increments of 0.001g (1 000mg).

Every day I just sleep, for years now, because even just getting up and walking to the bathroom is very difficult. All the symptoms are unbelievably awful. The way I take my pills is I wake up and take 2mg at 6:00pm, then 6 hours later I take another pill, crush it with a knife to 0.75-0.80 and drink it, I don't know how much comes out but this process took a very long time and now I stand still and can't do anything about it, I've been taking it this way for years. No, we don't have alprazolam 0.25 mg tablets, it's hard to get it in our country now, only 1 mg.

@[...] If you are crushing your pills into a powder, you should still be able to taper off your medication using 1mf tablets. But I recommend that you obtain jewellers' scales which can measure increments of 0.001g (1mg). This will allow you to make much smaller reductions to your dose and allow you to taper off.