Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Who manages to exercise with head pressure and squeezing?

Should I try to do more or should I wait until things feel better?  Really hard to know what to do as they say exercise is the best medicine but my head feels so bad. What is everyone else doing?

Couchbound;

I walk back and forth across the house. Less when the head pressure is there but I sometimes force it. Not fun.

Just don't over do it. Try to keep it below the point of revving you up.

58 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Should I try to do more or should I wait until things feel better?  Really hard to know what to do as they say exercise is the best medicine but my head feels so bad. What is everyone else doing?

Do you mean when the head tension and pain at their worst? On such days I try to stick to what is my everyday routine all the same. I run in the morning when the pressure doesn't feel that awful. Not sure whether it helps but i can do it even if half conscious ... so  why not. Then i just squeeze through the rest of the day minute by minute.

• Like 1

Thanks @[...], no chance of me forcing anything as it is so bad.  Things really do rev up, even after doing simple yoga stretches on the floor, never mind anything cardio.

@[...] Wow you manage to run! Unbelievable but if you are able to then it must be a good thing for you. Getting oxygen to all the cells. I do miss my long walks.

• Like 1

@[WU...], not sure it's a sign) It's kind of my second nature. The good thing about running is i don't have to talk to anyone and nobody sees how awful i feel. I do hope all the oxygen i breathed in helped)

I think nothing should be forced in our condition. The time will come and you'll enjoy your exercises.

How about your walking? Do you go on with your walks?

Hi @[...] and they say you shouldn't run before you can walk!  Well done to you for running. How long do you run for?

I agree about not forcing anything ( hence my username!). I guess it is my frustration at being so restricted. I went out today for a walk but came back after only 10 minutes, just back and forth in three directions without actually making it around the block. It is one of those wonderful sunny days feeling like Spring is in the air, with hardly any wind, just perfect for walking.

• Like 1

Good morning y'all. Reading over y'all's conversation. I have managed to work out about every other day even though it is quite not enjoyable. I'm on a 7-month taper from 2 milligrams Klonopin and right now I'm down to about 2.5-3 mg of Valium. I have a gym downstairs and I used to almost be a professional bodybuilder but as many of you can relate this journey with benzo has about ruined me. The exercising releases no endorphins anymore I guess I just force myself to do it because working out has always been such a part of my life, but now it's really miserable just to get through it. May I ask where y'all are on your taper? Or have y'all jumped already? Thank you blessed to be a part of this support system

• Like 1

On 10/02/2024 at 07:39, [[W...] said:

Thanks @[...], no chance of me forcing anything as it is so bad.  Things really do rev up, even after doing simple yoga stretches on the floor, never mind anything cardio.

@[...] Wow you manage to run! Unbelievable but if you are able to then it must be a good thing for you. Getting oxygen to all the cells. I do miss my long walks.

Then just keep in mind it will eventually let up.  My first year was bed and lazyboy except for really tough trips for food.

Sitting not doing anything is tough although the brain fog helped me endure.  

Now I'm at the point where the fog lifted somewhat, but I can't do anything, which is also hard.

Anyway it is always getting a little better so hang in there.

My head pressure is easing up too. Im having days without it. But it did take months. My neck gives me angst too.

Just keep distracting you'll get better.

Edited by [...]
Grammer
  • Like 3

Thanks @[...] yep sitting around for so long is such an unnatural thing to do, but then I guess taking a benzo is even more unnatural.  

@[Ty...] do we know for sure that endorphins are not being produced?  I'm not sure I could do something like gym exercises if they made me miserable!  Sounds very punishing but I suppose pushing extra oxygen around the system has to be a good thing in the long run.  I went CT last March and can't believe how bad I feel after all this time

Before the BZ taper, I was able to walk about 3 miles daily and or jog that same path.  I swam laps at the high school pool and cycled to work.  I'm in my early 70's now, but I retired for the second time just three years ago.  Now I walk around the block once or twice a day with my cane.  I also have a handicapped parking permit and can't get through an airport without wheel chair assistance.  Your body has been seriously debilitated by a neurological storm in your head that keeps your muscles, nerves, etc.  in a total stage of confusion.  I try to focus on what I can do.  I get extremely exhausted just from coping with WD symptoms and have to lay down repeatedly during the day to keep going.  I did yoga, but replaced it with meditation.  I try to sit for no more than 30 minutes at a shot.  Then I get up and do something around the house: take out the garbage, sweep the kitchen floor, play with the dog.  This is the "normal" me now.  If I let it to me, I feel too depressed and start having mental health problems.  Right now I'm going to get up and walk to the kitchen to finish my coffee (only one cup for the day), get my book and walk back out to the living room where I will sit down and read for another 30 mins.  

• Like 2

@[WU...]yeah I mean I guess I don't know for sure what's exactly happening or if endorphins are or are not being released.  I just don't feel great or even good anymore after a workout like I used to. It's too masked by withdrawal symptoms derealization bloodshot eyes. I'm so sorry it's been so long for you This stuff scares the living hell out of me. I went CT after about 5 months of Klonopin use, My wife and I dumped them down the toilet because we didn't know any better. On day 11 I almost went into utter psychosis and I had to reinstate at 1.5 mg. Then to 1 mg over about a month stayed at 1 mg for 3 months then Dr switch to 10 mg Valium And in the last 3 months I've gotten myself down to about 2.5 mg on average. But every day is suffering. 

1 minute ago, [[T...] said:

@[WU...]yeah I mean I guess I don't know for sure what's exactly happening or if endorphins are or are not being released.  I just don't feel great or even good anymore after a workout like I used to. It's too masked by withdrawal symptoms derealization bloodshot eyes. I'm so sorry it's been so long for you This stuff scares the living hell out of me. I went CT after about 5 months of Klonopin use, My wife and I dumped them down the toilet because we didn't know any better. On day 11 I almost went into utter psychosis and I had to reinstate at 1.5 mg. Then to 1 mg over about a month stayed at 1 mg for 3 months then Dr switch to 10 mg Valium And in the last 3 months I've gotten myself down to about 2.5 mg on average. But every day is suffering. 

@[kn...]we're with you my friend but from what I hear there's light at the other end of the tunnel. That's the only thing that keeps me going I'm 32 years old with a wife and two step kids and my first little boy on the way. Half the time I don't even want to wake up each day because I know how I'm going to have to feel all day. I'm surprised you can still manage coffee I had to cut coffee out completely about 3 weeks ago prayers for you my friend

Thanks and congratulations on the upcoming birth of your son.  My hat is off to you!  When I was your age, we had two children, I taught school, went to meetings, and generally worked 10 hours a day.  I also had undiagnosed and untreated mental health problems in spades.  Honestly, those years were harder than the whole BZ/WD thing at the present.  Working on family, domestic relations with spouses, etc. is a huge life experience.  You will look back on these years and be amazed at what you were able to do.  All the best!

@[kn...] Seems like you have a good regime, pottering around the house and not spending too much time in one position.  Very good. I also have a coffee during the day as I find it makes me feel more normal, i.e. having something I enjoy rather than restricting everything and feeling even more miserable. Of course you are right to remind us about the neurological storm and I need to remind myself it took years and years to get into this state so I guess I shouldn't complain about the time it takes to get out of it, still less than 1 year for me.

@[Ty...] sorry you're in such a state as well.  At least you are doing the sensible thing and tapering.  When it comes to mornings which seem to be awful for most people, due to the adrenaline surge which is the mechanism that wakes us up, I am trying to make a concerted effort to change my first thoughts of the day into something, anything even vaguely positive.  

4 hours ago, [[W...] said:

Hi @[...] and they say you shouldn't run before you can walk!  Well done to you for running. How long do you run for?

I agree about not forcing anything ( hence my username!). I guess it is my frustration at being so restricted. I went out today for a walk but came back after only 10 minutes, just back and forth in three directions without actually making it around the block. It is one of those wonderful sunny days feeling like Spring is in the air, with hardly any wind, just perfect for walking.

Wu Wei, I looked your username up) great!) I like it very much. I think 10 minutes is much better than nothing and you noticed what the weather was like - spring) so wonderful! It's the "winteriest" winter in my place.

i'm sure everything is going to come back by and by or all of a sudden. I've learned to be optimistic over the time of tolerance and the withdrawal itself...

I run for about 20 minutes in the forest at my worst.

Send you lots of support🌤️)

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

Thanks @[...] running in the forest. How wonderful. I think trees are very therapeutic, even more than the running!  

• Like 1

@[WU...]yes with the positivity I'm with you. Can I ask how your taper went? What type of benzo did you use? How long did you taper? How little were you at when you jumped? Thanks my friend 

I try to walk at least a mile every day, and workout several times a week. But as Tyler mentioned, it’s very difficult, and I get no enjoyment from it. I worked out religiously before all of this. Everyone says it will show dividends sooner or later, so I keep trying.

For a workout I ride the stationary bike, and do bodyweight exercises, light dumbbells, and yoga stretches.

Hope everyone sees significant positive change soon.

Jim

• Like 1

@[Ty...] I didn't taper at all.  I CT'd off 5mg Diazepam in March last year.  I didn't really know about tapering back then.  Hope you become benzo free better than me!

If you spend a lot of time in bed, lay flat & do leg lifts, bend your knees to your chest in 30 reps each.

I decided, if anything, I’m going for a flat stomach when all of this is over!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, [[g...] said:

I try to walk at least a mile every day, and workout several times a week. But as Tyler mentioned, it’s very difficult, and I get no enjoyment from it. I worked out religiously before all of this. Everyone says it will show dividends sooner or later, so I keep trying.

For a workout I ride the stationary bike, and do bodyweight exercises, light dumbbells, and yoga stretches.

Hope everyone sees significant positive change soon.

Jim

Hey Jim yep I'm there with you I just keep doing it as well, are you in a taper or post cessation ? 

5 hours ago, [[W...] said:

@[Ty...] I didn't taper at all.  I CT'd off 5mg Diazepam in March last year.  I didn't really know about tapering back then.  Hope you become benzo free better than me!

Still going through it I presume? I hope it's at least comforting to you that youve been off a year almost and you're at the tail ends of it God willing. Are you seeing improvements ? 

1 hour ago, [[T...] said:

Hey Jim yep I'm there with you I just keep doing it as well, are you in a taper or post cessation ? 

I’ve been off for a while, unfortunately.