Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Question about tolerance withdrawal and tinnitus

I am so confused about tolerance withdrawal.  It seems to be used for both reaching tolerance to a benzo after a period of time of use but also some people refer to reaching tolerance during an actual taper.

My question comes up because of my severe tinnitus.  I developed tittitus when I was at about 1.3 mg Ativan (started taper at 3 mg in late April after being switched from Xanax by a new doctor after probably greater than 35 years use).  I have had your usual menu of symptoms, but tinnitus is my greatest concern now.  When I got to about 0.83 mg, my tinnitus really ramped up.  I held for about 2 weeks.  During that time, it receded for about 2-3 days about 4 days into my hold.  I kept holding hoping it would receed again.  It did very slightly, finally, and I proceeded with my taper.  When I made my first small 0.25% cut after my hold, my tinnitus got much better.  But now I am at 0.73 mg.  My tinnitus has again gotten so bad it makes me physically ill.  I have been holding for almost 2 weeks.  Again, it receded for a couple of days about 4 days into the hold.  But since then, it has gotten progressively worse. It is so bad, I cannot keep food down.  Is it possible that this is tolerance withdrawal?  Should I begin tapering again?  Previous to this hold, I was tapering about 8ish% every 4 weeks but in gradual  at 1-1.2% increments with a couple of days between each cut.

Thanks for any insight.

Edited by [El...]
  • Sad 1

I’m sorry you’re suffering from tinnitus, @[El...]. It must be extremely distressing.

As I’m sure you know, benzodiazepines are ototoxic. I wonder if it’s possible that the tinnitus you’re experiencing is a side effect of taking benzodiazepines for a long time?

Goodness!  Of course.  I did not even think of that.  Then, it might follow, that proceeding with my taper (at a controlled pace, of course) to finally finish my taper would be my best chance of overcoming the ototoxic effect of the lorazepam.  Upon thinking further, I guess I need to also carefully consider my use of Tylenol as well, which I have been using for my associated headaches.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply.  While it is not the best news, it seems to be a very reasonable explanation.

Again, thank you.

• Like 1

I too am suffering significantly from tinnitus.  I wish I had some way to help you.  I stand with you and wish I you the best.  Mine is getting worse by th e day and I just don’t have any solutions 😓😓

I am just at the end of my taper and it’s keeping me awake and generally upsetting my well being 24/7.  It’s really the only issue I have.  Just wonder when/if it will subside or at least retreat some. Ugh 

Edited by [Kh...]

2 hours ago, [[E...] said:

Goodness!  Of course.  I did not even think of that.  Then, it might follow, that proceeding with my taper (at a controlled pace, of course) to finally finish my taper would be my best chance of overcoming the ototoxic effect of the lorazepam.  Upon thinking further, I guess I need to also carefully consider my use of Tylenol as well, which I have been using for my associated headaches.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply.  While it is not the best news, it seems to be a very reasonable explanation.

Again, thank you.

Tylenol Advil and now antihistamines ramp up my tinnitus. It’s bad, I m standing with you all.

I know. I’m also sick with a sinus cold, which is almost making the tinnitus unbearable. It’s so loud it’s keeping me awake. 

32 minutes ago, [[w...] said:

I know. I’m also sick with a sinus cold, which is almost making the tinnitus unbearable. It’s so loud it’s keeping me awake. 

Sending good vibes…I am also having sleep issues.  Sleep about 3 hours, up to pee…notice serious ear ringing…breathing exercises to sleep again..3 more hours and that’s about it.  Have been taking 5 mg zolpidem every few nights just to get better sleep.  I also have some hydroxyzine, but it messes with my Eustachian tube which does not always operate properly.

Edited by [Kh...]

My Tinnitus began during my taper as well. Some days its so loud I can't think, concentrate, can't sleep, its depressing, its soul crushing. I am beginning to have better days where the T is not so loud however and I am hoping it continues on this path.

Judging from all I've read on these forums, it is the last symptom to go. Most are finding relief from T at the 6 month mark, for others it can last a year or more. Time is what heals this awful noise, our heads got pretty scrambled, the nerves in our auditory system are healing. As rough as this sounds, we all need to except its going to take time, but we will heal eventually.

Edited by [Th...]
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

My Tinnitus began during my taper as well. Some days its so loud I can't think, concentrate, can't sleep, its depressing, its soul crushing. I am beginning to have better days where the T is not so loud however and I am hoping it continues on this path.

Judging from all I've read on these forums, it is the last symptom to go. Most are finding relief from T at the 6 month mark, for others it can last a year or more. Time is what heals this awful noise, our heads got pretty scrambled, the nerves in our auditory system are healing. As rough as this sounds, we all need to except its going to take time, but we will heal eventually.

I have had it six months already. Came on from ear infection and/or tolerance withdrawal on Xanax.  Hope is all I have right now 🙏🙏

• Love 1

Just now, [[K...] said:

I have had it six months already. Came on from ear infection and/or tolerance withdrawal on Xanax.  Hope is all I have right now 🙏🙏

Hang in there, we can heal! My T has been going for almost 3 months now, its pretty debilitating, I know.

• Like 2

Mine much longer. From what I’ve read and heard it’s commonly the last to go, if it’s going to go.

https://www.healthline.com/health/can-shingles-vaccine-cause-tinnitus

I believe the Shingrix vaccine caused my tinnitus and hearing loss.  Symptoms showed up just a few days after…I felt so shitty I abused the Xanax for a couple months to get sleep and some relief and went into tolerance withdrawal.  Prior To that I was was Ok on .5mg nightly.  I had no issues. It’s all connected.   Big pharma!  For some reason they found a need to go out there and tell folks that it DOES NOT cause tinnitus…right 🖕

Edited by [Kh...]

On 10.2.2024 at 01:25, [[L...] said:

Es tut mir leid, dass Sie unter Tinnitus leiden.@[El...]. Es muss äußerst belastend sein.

Wie Sie sicher wissen, sind Benzodiazepine ototoxisch. Ich frage mich, ob es möglich ist, dass der Tinnitus, den Sie verspüren, eine Nebenwirkung der Einnahme von Benzodiazepinen über einen längeren Zeitraum ist?

I read that too, that is where the vertigo cames from too. Can that heal? Do you know that ?

Just now, [[L...] said:

Ich weiß es nicht. Ich habe gerade angefangen, zu diesem Thema zu recherchieren.

Please keep us updated. I can't find a lot about it. Only that benzos regulate the vestibularsystem down. 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2024 at 20:28, [[[...] said:

I too am suffering significantly from tinnitus.  I wish I had some way to help you.  I stand with you and wish I you the best.  Mine is getting worse by th e day and I just don’t have any solutions 😓😓

On 09/02/2024 at 20:28, [[[...] said:

I have it bad too, but strange enough it goes away after going to the movie theater, I'm not sure why but it works. 

My tinnitus is unbelievable bad, but ,my husband took me to the movie theater and the tinnitus is gone, it's been nearly two days and it has not come back yet, but when it does I'm going back to the theater. How ever my brain still shakes and shimmers that has not gone away, but I'm sticking it out with my water taper on 1 mg Klonopin.