Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Benzo Belly - lasting a long time

Hi Friends,

I stepped off diazepam about a year ago, after a year-long taper. My first w/d symptom was a painful and distended abdomen, and it appears now to also be my last. My waist is about 3 inches thicker than it should be and my belly rarely feels empty or relaxed. If I don't eat, I feel even worse than if I do eat, so fasting isn't an option. At times, it seemed this was improving but it has gotten worse again. I have a couple of other weird neuro sxs leftover, but they are dealable. This belly thing is a real challenge. I was super fit before all of this - I'm still generally fit but look pregnant and feel uncomfortable in my own body.

I did test positive for mild SIBO but not sure if I should treat it with abx or try to let this leave on its own. (My SIBO scores were much higher two years ago). I know the SIBO is just a result of the benzo (and maybe also mirtazapine) w/d. I still have a teeny bit of mirtazapine that I am tapering.

Does anyone have any suggestions? When I was really ill, this was sort of easier to deal with b/c I never left the house anyway. Now, I just want my life back and this feels like a real obstacle.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and sending lots of care and healing your way.

I have been off Valium foe 22 months. I am the heaviest i have ever been, my stomach is so uncomfortable, bloated, gas, severely constipated, nauseous, I always feel full. I really hope this goes away. I am miserable

Hello friend, you have my support in advance. In 22 months have you not noticed any improvement in relation to your stomach problems?

And what about anxiety? Have you had anxiety? In my case, anxiety is my Achilles heel.

A lot of patience 🤷🏻‍♂️

(shout out to RubenRalph 😁)

Edited by [Ye...]
  • Like 1

When stopped eating carbs for about a month it seemed to be going down.  When I started eating carbs again it was distended again.

I gained 60 pounds on this med and CT

nothing helps 

I continue to gain. 
I was skinny my whole life