Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Short-Term Work Leave Through 3rd Party

I am requesting a short term leave from work, this is all done through a third party. My current job is part time so it is non fmla but I still get 8 weeks. When they ask my medical condition, what do I say? I feel like saying benzos specifically could get the claimed denied? Not sure how much detail they will ask for. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Edited by [Wa...]

Hey @[Wa...],

Do you have to have a doctor sign off on this?  If not, I would think that you could be very vague in how you word this.  Something along the lines of "recovering from an adverse reaction to a prescription medication" might be appropriate?  I think it depends on how much "proof" they require.

+1 to @[Bu...]

I have no experience to go by, but phrasing this as recovering from an adverse effect from a medication may be your best bet. There's so many stereotypes and misinformation surrounding benzos. The information and documentation your doctor provides will be essential.

Unfortunately, I don't know what power these third parties have to decline a medical leave request and what the appeals process looks like.

Yeah @[Bu...] they are requesting my doc’s info so I imagined they will contact my doctor. I agree with you and @[Nu...] to try and be as vague as possible. The first contact is a phone call with them so I will get put on the spot, just wanted to get my story in line. My doctor focuses on deprescribing so I assume she’ll know how to handle it if they contact her. I will also reach out to her and get her opinion on what I should say

My doc did all of the communication for me when I went on medical leave. I'm sure they won't allow you to be very vague, but my emphasis is to express less about the "benzo" part and more about the "adverse effects" part of this.

In essence, emphasizing the adverse effects and how they impact your work is likely a better way of addressing this then going on about "benzo withdrawal", which may conjure stereotypes. Just my thoughts though.

So I actually spoke with my boss and I think I will be able to unload my most difficult tasks for the next month or two. I think I’m going to not file a claim at this point in time