Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

A long hold has helped me tremendously…now I’m tapering again

I’ve seen lots of posts about people doing long holds (a month or more) both positive and negative experiences.  I just wanted to share my experience because it may help someone.  I started to taper 1mg of Clonazepam last July and my first cut was a big one to .75 mg.  I really tried to tough it out in spite of the insomnia and anxiety I suffered.  I continued to cut smaller for the next several months but still too fast, eventually down to .375 before the bottom fell out in November.  I was sleeping very little and my blood pressure was really high.  I felt awful every day.  Stupidly ended up taking a few rescue doses of Xanax.  
    My psychiatrist suggested going back to a higher dose so I grudgingly updosed back to 0.5 in late November.  I threw away all the Xanax I had.   It took almost 6 weeks but around early January I felt better than I had since I started my taper of Clonazepam, now on half my original dose.  My sleep has gone back to normal (7-8 hours) as has my blood pressure (was 140’s/90 now back to my normal 110/70). 
   I have just started to cut again, this time a small 5% cut to .475mg and am doing well.  I’ll stay here for another week and see how I feel.   know a lot of people will say I’m still a ways from getting off and they’d be right, but for me at least, getting stable for 10 weeks really really helped.  I will be much more cautious about the rate I cut at going forward and not make it a race.  But the fact that I’m down more than halfway and feeling better than when I started tells me I can do this and not be miserable.  My brain is slowly adjusting but it IS adjusting.  Yours will too.  

• Like 1

I'm so happy you're doing better now! 5% sounds really good. I couldn't tolerate 10% cuts. So I just had to accept it will take some time if I wanted to be functional. You made some awesome progress. Congrats and good luck for the rest of your taper!

• Like 1