Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Liquid taper why is milk better than water?

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘safer’ @[...]. Do you mean the likelihood of obtaining accurate and precise (consistent) doses?

If so, my hypothesis would be that diluting the manufacturer’s liquid with either milk or water would yield more accurate and precise doses than making a do-it-yourself liquid using regular tablets and either milk or water.

10 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Ich bin mir nicht sicher, was Sie mit „sicherer“ meinen.@[...]. Meinen Sie die Wahrscheinlichkeit, genaue und präzise (konsistente) Dosen zu erhalten?

Wenn ja, wäre meine Hypothese, dass das Verdünnen der Herstellerflüssigkeit entweder mit Milch oder Wasser genauere und präzisere Dosierungen liefern würde als die Herstellung einer Do-it-yourself-Flüssigkeit mit normalen Tabletten und entweder Milch oder Wasser.

Even the liquid which they say you have to take pure?

Thank you for your help :)

You’re welcome, @[...].  

Yes. However, the only way to know if this will work for you is to try it.  Tapering is a series of experiments in which you are both the scientist and the subject. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Gern geschehen,@[...].  

Ja. Ob dies bei Ihnen funktioniert, können Sie jedoch nur herausfinden, indem Sie es ausprobieren. Tapering ist eine Reihe von Experimenten, bei denen Sie sowohl der Wissenschaftler als auch das Subjekt sind. 

Thank you that you are always there for help!

• Like 1

I’m glad I can be of assistance, @[...].  I know how daunting this all can be.

What is your current daily dose and dosing schedule?  What strength tablets are you using?

What strength diazepam tablets are available in Germany?  10mg only?  Or, are 5mg and 2mg tablets also available as they are here in the US?

Would your doctor be willing to prescribe a combination of tablets and the manufacturer’s oral solution?

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Ich bin froh, dass ich Ihnen helfen kann,@[...]. Ich weiß, wie entmutigend das alles sein kann.

Wie hoch ist Ihre aktuelle Tagesdosis und Ihr Dosierungsschema? Welche Tablettenstärke verwenden Sie?

In welcher Stärke sind Diazepam-Tabletten in Deutschland erhältlich? Nur 10 mg? Oder gibt es auch 5-mg- und 2-mg-Tabletten wie hier in den USA?

Wäre Ihr Arzt bereit, eine Kombination aus Tabletten und der oralen Lösung des Herstellers zu verschreiben?

I wish I could respond in longer textes, but my english is really bad please don't take that personally. :)

I updosed to 30 mg after I came from 150 mg to 6 mg too fast. Barely holding it together.

I take 10 mg three times a day because I seem to metabolize very quickly.

We have 10 mg, 5 mg, 2 mg and that liquid. My doc said if I put a drop of the liquid in water or sth it just would sink to the ground (but I really dont know if he is right and of course no pharmacy answered me to this, they Just said don't do it.)

I am really scared of both methods, if its tablet in milk or liquid. Really afraid I wouldnt get the right dose.

But I can't handle 0.5 mg steps.

Given your concerns about liquids, are you aware of Tapering Strips? (These can be shipped to Germany. See link below.)

Another option to consider would be to ask your prescriber if they would support a gradual, response-guided taper regimen using a combination of liquid and tablets.  For example:

5mg tablet + 5mg (0.5mL) in liquid (taper liquid to zero as tolerated)

Given that your doctor is of the opinion that the manufacturer’s liquid cannot be diluted, you could leave that part out of your proposal.  You would then dilute the liquid to an appropriate concentration (e.g. 0.1mg/mL) and taper as tolerable. 

Link:
Tapering strip. 
https://www.taperingstrip.com/

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Kennen Sie angesichts Ihrer Bedenken hinsichtlich Flüssigkeiten die Tapering Strips? (Diese können nach Deutschland versendet werden. Siehe Link unten.)

Eine weitere Möglichkeit, die Sie in Betracht ziehen sollten, wäre, Ihren verschreibenden Arzt zu fragen, ob er eine schrittweise, reaktionsgesteuerte Ausschleichkur mit einer Kombination aus Flüssigkeit und Tabletten unterstützen würde. Zum Beispiel:

5 mg Tablette + 5 mg (0,5 ml) in Flüssigkeit (Flüssigkeit je nach Verträglichkeit auf Null reduzieren)
5 mg Tablette + 5 mg (0,5 ml) in Flüssigkeit (Flüssigkeit je nach Verträglichkeit auf Null reduzieren)
5 mg Tablette + 5 mg (0,5 ml) in Flüssigkeit (Flüssigkeit auf Null reduzieren) Null wie toleriert)

Da Ihr Arzt der Meinung ist, dass die Flüssigkeit des Herstellers nicht verdünnt werden kann, können Sie diesen Teil in Ihrem Vorschlag weglassen. Anschließend verdünnen Sie die Flüssigkeit auf eine geeignete Konzentration (z. B. 0,1 mg/ml) und verjüngen sie je nach Verträglichkeit. 

Link:
Konischer Streifen. 
https://www.taperingstrip.com/

Hey !

I writed this pharmacy because of the tapering Strips but I got no answer sadly.

Thank you for that plan, that sounds like a good way to do it!

How would you do the last step with the liquid ? I am not that good in math.

One drop (0.5 mg) in how much Milk?

Thank you so much for your time!

I’m not following you … isn’t the concentration of the manufacturer’s liquid 10mg per 1mL?  If so, then 0.5mL of the liquid would contain 5mg of diazepam.

To dilute it you could add 0.5mL of the liquid to 5mL of milk for a concentration of 0.1mg/mL.  Or 0.5mL of the liquid to 50mL of milk for a concentration of 0.01mg/mL.  

Before we proceed further …

(1) Do you know how viscous the liquid is?  Can it be measured using a 0.5mL oral syringe?  

(2) Is your prescriber willing to support a gradual, patient response-guided taper?

3 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Ich folge Ihnen nicht … beträgt die Konzentration der Herstellerflüssigkeit nicht 10 mg pro 1 ml? Wenn ja, dann würden 0,5 ml der Flüssigkeit 5 mg Diazepam enthalten.

Um es zu verdünnen, können Sie 0,5 ml der Flüssigkeit zu 5 ml Milch hinzufügen, um eine Konzentration von 0,1 mg/ml zu erreichen. Oder 0,5 ml der Flüssigkeit auf 50 ml Milch für eine Konzentration von 0,01 mg/ml.  

Bevor wir weitermachen …

(1) Wissen Sie, wie viskos die Flüssigkeit ist? Kann es mit einer 0,5-ml-Applikationsspritze abgemessen werden?  

(2) Ist Ihr verschreibender Arzt bereit, eine schrittweise, vom Patienten gesteuerte Reduzierung zu unterstützen?

Yes, but one drop is 0.5 mg Diazepam.

1. I don't know because one drop is 0.5 mg i guess there is no way to do that

2. Yes!

• Like 1

Ah ha. It sounds like the liquid comes with a dropper that is calibrated to deliver 0.5mg of drug per drop.

So, 10 drops would equal 5mg of drug (10 drops X 0.5mg = 5mg).

Depending on what taper rate you wish to trial and how you respond to reductions,  you may be able to taper without diluting the drops … at least to begin.  For example, here’s how you could taper 5% over 4 weeks:

Week 1:  Total Daily Dose = 30mg
5mg tablet + 10 drops (Dose 1)
5mg tablet + 10 drops (Dose 2)
5mg tablet + 10 drops (Dose 3)

Week 2:  Total Daily Dose = 29.5mg
5mg tablet + 9 drops
5mg tablet + 10 drops
5mg tablet + 10 drops

Week 3: Total Daily Dose = 29mg
5mg tablet + 9 drops
5mg tablet + 9 drops
5mg tablet + 10 drops

Week 4: Total Daily Dose = 28.5mg
5mg tablet + 9 drops
5mg tablet + 9 drops
5mg tablet + 9 drops

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Ah ha. Es hört sich so an, als ob die Flüssigkeit mit einer Pipette geliefert wird, die so kalibriert ist, dass sie 0,5 mg Medikament pro Tropfen abgibt.

10 Tropfen würden also 5 mg Medikament entsprechen (10 Tropfen x 0,5 mg = 5 mg).

Je nachdem, welche Ausschleichrate Sie ausprobieren möchten und wie Sie auf Reduzierungen reagieren, können Sie möglicherweise ausschleichen, ohne die Tropfen zu verdünnen … zumindest für den Anfang. So könnten Sie beispielsweise innerhalb von 4 Wochen eine Reduzierung um 5 % erreichen:

Woche 1: Gesamttagesdosis = 30 mg
5 mg Tablette + 10 Tropfen (Dosis 1)
5 mg Tablette + 10 Tropfen (Dosis 2)
5 mg Tablette + 10 Tropfen (Dosis 3)

Woche 2: Gesamttagesdosis = 29,5 mg
5 mg Tablette + 9 Tropfen
5 mg Tablette + 10 Tropfen

Woche 3: Gesamttagesdosis = 29 mg

Woche 4: Gesamttagesdosis = 28,5 mg

Thank you !!!

When I get to the point where 0.5 mg is too much can I contact you again ?

I appreciate your effort here ❤️

• Like 1

I’m sorry your thread veered off-topic, @[He...].

Re:  your questions about milk …

Here’s what the recently published Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines has say about using milk as an off-label option for patients who require smaller doses:

“Benzodiazepines are more soluble in oil or fat than in water (Macheras et al 1990).  When mixed with full-fat homogenized milk, some or all of the drug will dissolve in the milk fat.  This should form an evenly dispersed emulsion when shaken vigorously …. As stability cannot be assured, the measured dose should be taken immediately and the remainder discarded.” (Horowitz & Taylor, 2024, p. 341)

References

Horowitz, M, Taylor D. Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs. 1st ed. Wiley Blackwell, 2024. Available online via the publisher or Amazon.

Macheras PE, Koupparis MA, Antimisiaris SG. Drug binding and solubility in milk. Pharm Res. 1990 May;7(5):537-41. doi: 10.1023/a:1015881103340. PMID: 1694991. Abstract accessed online at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1694991/

• Like 1