Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Acute phase?

What exactly is Acute Phase? 

I see this phrase, term used a lot here but it seems to be used for different explanation of withdrawal or different scenarios. 

Can someone please give me your understanding of what it means, can u please use it in a phrase so I can have a better understanding of what it means to different people?

That'd be great!

Thanks 

Ns

@[ns...] - Here's a definition of Acute Phase: A period of time following a significant decrease in dosage in which symptoms are often the most intense. There is no definitive timeline for the acute phase for benzo withdrawal. It is generally considered to last for about a month up to several months, but will vary from individual to individual.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

@[ns...] - Here's a definition of Acute Phase: A period of time following a significant decrease in dosage in which symptoms are often the most intense. There is no definitive timeline for the acute phase for benzo withdrawal. It is generally considered to last for about a month up to several months, but will vary from individual to individual.

Thank u brighterday. I guess I'm in acute.

Ns

And then there’s PAWS. Protracted/Prolonged/Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome .

People can feel acute even months or years off.

I’m feeling worse than ever. Who is going to want me now that I’m so riddled with wd stuff.

Fiancé said he could not give up his life anymore by being with a woman in her twenties who acts like she is a sick old lady.

i hate life right now. I wish I had a benzo honestly to knock me out so I can sleep.

why aren’t people more loving? Why does this world shun sick and old people? My great grandfather is 94 and always was there for us, my other siblings talk about him and make fun of him because he is losing his hearing and his memory.

it makes me sick they just want an inheritance. I’m the black sheep. Never liked my sisters. They are all married to rich, superficial men. I guess my fiancé was one like their husbands. I’m still sad he broke off the relationship.

6 hours ago, [[n...] said:

I see this phrase, term used a lot here but it seems to be used for different explanation of withdrawal or different scenarios. 

You are right. Some people here use the term acute to describe two different withdrawal experiences. One is used to described the intensity of withdrawal. For example I was rapid tapered and went into severe withdrawal which left me bedridden. Sometimes I would say I went into acute withdrawal. It describes the intensity. This I believe is what @[Br...] is referring to. 

Then there is PAWS - Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome as mentioned by @[Kr...]. It's the period following when you jump/cease using benzo's. There is no timeframe for how long this last. At BB, when you're experiencing symptoms for longer than 2 years, most members consider themselves protracted. 

If you look at where people are in their timeline of tapering/jumping, you can usually determine which one they're talking about. 

• Like 1

Acute is when your mind and body are a torture chamber.  Usually happens when you cold turkey or jump off too soon.

15 hours ago, [[n...] said:

What exactly is Acute Phase? 

Can someone please give me your understanding of what it means, can u please use it in a phrase so I can have a better understanding of what it means to different people?

That'd be great!

Thanks 

Ns

As for me, the acute phase is when you're feeling your worst due to the withdrawing. I don't include my "special" symptoms here, like the unbearable  headache that is, i think, my own paradoxical reaction to benzos. But the rest of it - pressure, muscles, anxiety, sweating, tension, palpitations, eyes, etc are a sign of the acute phase when at their worst. The sxs come to me with the same intensivity all at once, stay for a while and go. In fact, i've just realized, it sounds like waves but i also had it during tapering. This is the way i see it)

Edited by [...]

[88...]

Hi @[ns...]

I use the words ‘acute phase’ in reference to that initial period after one jumps off, and I use the words ‘acute withdrawal’ in reference to a period of symptoms during my taper which closely mirror the symptoms I experienced when I c/t’d and went into an acute phase. 

Acute phase (post jump) 

Acute withdrawal (a period of extreme symptoms experienced during my taper that mirror my c/t where I went into the acute phase)