Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering Clonazepam, high dose of Sertraline - hypnic jerks

Hello -

I am currently almost tapered from Clonazepam (taking very, very low dose and microtapering).  I've been on 175mg of Sertraline for 1.5 years, without any issues.  However, I have been getting hypnic jerks upon falling asleep, and they seem to be getting worse.  Does anyone have experience with this upon tapering Clonazepam, or being on a higher dose of Sertaline.  

Thanks in advance!

Could you please update your taper history so we understand how you've made your reductions?

On 19/08/2023 at 09:15, [[P...] said:

Please fill in your medication history, taper details and any other pertinent information so others can provide the best feedback for your situation. 

Profile => Edit profile (top-right of profile banner) => Add succinct use/taper/withdrawal history to 'History' text box => click 'Save' (bottom-right).

Are you asking if there's a correlation between Sertraline and the hypnic jerks?

@[je...] - just updated my profile - didn't realize I needed to do that - thank you!

I'm wondering if this could be a correlation between Clonazepam tapering and hypnic jerks?  Or if this could be related to the high dose of Sertraline.  Thank you!

Can you please look at my history to get an idea of what we're looking for in a taper history? I need to know when you made cuts and by how much you've reduced. At least the last 3 months of tapering. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

@[je...] - just updated my profile - didn't realize I needed to do that - thank you!

I'm wondering if this could be a correlation between Clonazepam tapering and hypnic jerks?  Or if this could be related to the high dose of Sertraline.  Thank you!

Ek1208, just saw your question about hypnic jerks. In my personal experience,  my husband has them and he doesn't take benzos. I've had them and a friend has had them and started with withdrawl from benzos. I think we get deep into sleep and we might be in a position where we are catching ourselves from falling to the side or something like that.  If your talking about jerks while your awake, the jerks I have are myoclonic jerks from withdrawl, those are neurological due to the nervous system under stress from my understanding. Eminent tremor is another one from certain medications that can affect the nervous system. After 2 yrs of protracted withdrawal they didn't happen as often. Once I went back on benzos and had to taper,  go into another withdrawl they came  with stress and panic attacks. 

So it could be your nervous system is under stress. It's important to try to change your focus from the symptoms that are distressing to u so u can help yourself relax. This usually relaxes the jerking and calms me quite a bit. I get really distressed at certain symptoms and this causes intense anxiety that leads to panic attacks that leads to more symptoms that lights up my nervous system and round n round it goes and this causes too much stress  and begins to spiral. Try to change your mind and focus ok, maybe that will help u I hope.

Ns

• Love 1

Those jerks can be a huge discomfort though not uncommon. I'd been having them in twilight, upon waking or falling asleep. I too was on Clonazepam, 30 day rapid detox. 

Thank you so much, that is very useful. You have essentially tapered 0.001mg per day for 30 days straight. I tried to do that when I got to 0.125mg of K but it was too much for me and my symptoms ramped up. I don't know if this post of mine will be helpful to you - How I tapered the end.

9 hours ago, [[E...] said:

I am currently almost tapered from Clonazepam (taking very, very low dose and microtapering).  I've been on 175mg of Sertraline for 1.5 years, without any issues.  However, I have been getting hypnic jerks upon falling asleep, and they seem to be getting worse.

If I were to venture a guess, it would be that you're tapering too fast. I suggest you hold for at least two weeks and see if there is any improvement. You've done such a great job in getting here, a couple more weeks won't make such a big difference in the bigger scheme, but jumping off without increased symptoms will really be great.