Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

[Clonazepam] Paradoxical reaction from reinstating a upper dose ? (failed to taper)

Guys

I've been taking clonazepam for approximately 4 years (daily since COVID) and I've been trying at least 2 times to stop but still without success. In this last attempt I was taking a dose of just 0.05mg stably for at least 1 month (I live in Brazil and we have liquid clonazepam) but after almost 2 weeks I tried to reduce it to 0.025mg and the damn withdrawal effects came. The main side effect that disturbs me is extreme anxiety, a tightness in the chest that feels like you've been scared or received bad news, but for no apparent reason. Something like a constant adrenaline rush.... Well, I've been trying to stabilize again with larger doses for at least 5 days, but every day that I increase the dose, it seems that the anxiety increases... when I started taking benzos I I was prescribed alprazolam, which gave me a paradoxical effect and I only discovered after 1 week without sleep that the psychiatrist had made a big mistake... well, what do you think? Should I take another benzo temporarily (I have diazepam here) or is the probability of screwing up  everything is too high??

Hey @[ma...],

I'm really sorry.  That sounds miserable.  Can I ask how much clonazepam you are currently taking?  It sounds like it just isn't working anymore, that you've hit tolerance withdrawal.  I think, if it were me, I would stop making any changes for a while and see if things stabilize. 

Did you mean you were taking .5mgs?  And then reduced to .25mgs?  If so, that is a very large cut and I'm not surprised that you had terrible withdrawal.

I don't know about taking anything else. Again if it were me, I think I would hold everything that way it is for a bit and try dealing with the anxiety through other methods.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Hey @[ma...],

I'm really sorry.  That sounds miserable.  Can I ask how much clonazepam you are currently taking?  It sounds like it just isn't working anymore, that you've hit tolerance withdrawal.  I think, if it were me, I would stop making any changes for a while and see if things stabilize. 

Did you mean you were taking .5mgs?  And then reduced to .25mgs?  If so, that is a very large cut and I'm not surprised that you had terrible withdrawal.

I don't know about taking anything else. Again if it were me, I think I would hold everything that way it is for a bit and try dealing with the anxiety through other methods.

that's right, it was 0.05mg and 0.025mg. Today I took 0.2mg and tomorrow I will take 0.1mg to see if I stabilize at this dose

I'm going to hold back and not increase this dose or use another benzo, I'm going to try other things I have around here to help (CBD/CBN oil, quetiapine for sleep, atenolol...)

Thanks for the support!