Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Advice PRN Klonopin for 9 yrs

Hi!

Perhaps you can share your exp in this situation if u relate.

My question is should I restart Klonopin again to taper when I only took a few times a month, with certain life situations taking a few times a week through the years due to: Dating, Social events, work. Never took daily on regular basis.

I am reading Ashton Manuel & other sites about w/d. I took this med starting .25mg....then ....5mg mostly, now up to 1 mg a  handful of times before stopping 1.5 wks cold turkey. Also taking nasty Gabapentin 20 yrs starting at 150 mg, last 4 yrs down to 35-100mgs & want off this also. Been taking 50 mgs last few mo. This drug I def am dependent on... I tried to get off a few times casually, and ran right back to it due to insomnia and feeling more anxiety.

Well..I did quit cold turkey Klonopin 8yrs ago, w/ 2 wks of milder w/d symptions yet not a cake walk. Started Kp again after 8 mo due to situational anxiety. Since this past year I have been taking 1x week, .5 mg and then 1mg at dentist, which was my final dose.

Tapering Gabapentin, not sure but I feel more moderate symptoms, getting flu a few times, increased anxiety, light headed, anger, some paranoua, insomnia. I feel KP makes me angry and I feel I get rebound anxiety and just feel body breaking down after using it the past few mo.

I want my cognition improved, have been word searching last year, and lack of peace. 

The thought of touching this stuff again to do an official taper gives me much distress! Working to very slowly taper Gabapentin & now add regular CBD to sleep again can possibly get me through? I have read the horror stories, I am middle aged & want to keep my sanity & brain functioning! I just wondered any insights. 

Many Thanks

Hey @[Su...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I just wanted to say hello and get your account rolling so you can get some advice on how to proceed.

We're glad you found us!

Hi @[Su...]

I’m trying to understand your situation, you quit Klonopin cold turkey a couple of weeks ago?  And you used it PRN but you have previous experience with another Klonopin cold turkey? 

It doesn’t sound like going back on the Klonopin to taper it again would be a good idea, unless you are totally non-functional which it doesn’t sound like you are. 

My suggestion is if you’re able to take care of your basic daily needs would be to continue with the cold turkey but stop reducing the Gabapentin for now.  We suggest only tapering one medication at a time so you can tell what is causing what in case you need to make adjustments.

Let me know if I’ve captured your details correctly.

2 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hey @[Su...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I just wanted to say hello and get your account rolling so you can get some advice on how to proceed.

We're glad you found us!

BurnTheShips

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am glad to finally arrive here.

21 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

BurnTheShips

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am glad to finally arrive here.

Hi Pamster!

Thanks I appreciate the response as its very helpful. Forgive me if I reply wrong as I am not sure if I am supposed to hit the "Reply to this Post" or "Add Quote" to reply. Old school..he he.

To answer & add clarity, Yes I did go cold turkey for Klonopin 1.5 wks ago and had started to taper Gabapentin. I am stopping Gaba taper as I dont know what I may be in for moving forward w no klonipin in sys.

Yes I did once before go cold turkey on Klonopin at 2 yrs in, for 8 mo straight when I was taking it more regularily PRN. I cant believe that doc rx 3 mg a day! Luckily, I never took more than 1mg PRN. Needless to say, any dose is risky/damaging as I know now :(

So I will not be restarting the klonopin as yes, as of now, fortunately I am doing ADL w bumps in road & its hard to tell at this point which drug is causing distress and physical sickness. Prob had some Klonopin w/d between doses even prn! Luckily I am in a position to minimize outside responsibilities & hunker down as needed to ride the wave & stay safe in this isolating exp. 

These forums are a goldmine & I dont know how people w a family & full time job can get off these meds its incredible! I first learned of this group off of MD Junction almost 8 yrs ago as one poster in a MH group always warned of taking benzos, & would reference this group. Now I know why. Thanks again for the support🌲

Edited by [Su...]
Spelling

@[Su...], just some information, you can use the quote tab to specify which person you’re replying to or you can just hit reply, this will let the member know via notification their post has been responded to.  Or you can also use the @mention feature, when you use the @ sign and type in the first few letters of the members name, a drop down menu will appear and you can click on the appropriate member.

Thanks for clearing up some details and I’m glad you decided to hold the Gabapentin for now.  

How was your previous cold turkey, did you suffer?  The reason I ask is because that experience can help us determine this one.  Our bodies seem to remember past benzo use and cessation making withdrawing more painful. This is called Kindling and while its not been studied as extensively for benzodiazepines as it has for alcohol, I believe the theory has merit. 

I’m sorry, but I don’t know what ADL is referring to. 

Thanks Pamster

As far a the w/d symptoms from first cold turkey, they were mild to moderate & not unbearable, yet like I said, not a cake walk. 

Biggest was increased anxiety, light headedness, weird sensation in my head, anger and some fatigue. 

On this cold turkey, its ramped up anxiety, body aches, feeling I am coming down w the flu, chest congestion, light headedness & some agoriphobia & anger. I am really focusing on eliminating triggers, improving diet, tapering off coffee, & adding CBD & Chelated Magnesium for sleep & gentle stretchimg daily & light walking.

Trying to not to get submerged and be more positive.

12 hours ago, [[S...] said:

On this cold turkey, its ramped up anxiety, body aches, feeling I am coming down w the flu, chest congestion, light headedness & some agoriphobia & anger. 

This is how it typically goes, I'm sorry its so much worse this time but you're doing the right thing by looking at the whole picture, keeping it simple and positive.

Have you looked at the Alternative Therapies group to see what they have to say about the supplement you're using? Topics - Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Support (benzobuddies.org)  If you decide to check it out, you just need to click join. 

• Like 1

Thanks Pamster I am going to look over. I did not sleep much last night on CBD so need plan b & c as a back up!

• Like 1