Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Burning mouth and swollen gum under tongue

[bf...]

[bf...]

Has anyone here experienced having a burning mouth as though the entire mouth had been scolded with hot soup, and/or the gum under the tongue being extremely swollen? 

It came at the peak of a wave. I hadn’t eaten in over 48hrs, so it certainly didn’t occur through eating or drinking. 

It’s not distressing or overly painful. I’m just wondering whether it’s a BW symptom or if I’ve just picked something else up? 

Edited by Guest

Yes! @[Wi...] I did post about it (3 Jan).

Had this officially diagnosed by my doctor in Dec 2023 as burning tongue syndrome. Ironically, if you google it benzo is the treatment for it.
This burning arose when I was tapering in Oct 2023. It may seem a small thing and certainly burning is in Ashton but it is hell! Hard to eat and drinking hot drink impossible. Caused insomnia too. 

I was told to have blood test to check B12 etc as that can be a cause. I added in B12 & did not have test. 

My symptoms are less so but my mouth is now numb. Weird. Stopped diazepam a month ago.

There is one remedy I came across. Tabasco pepper sauce. (google burning mouth syndrome Tabasco. 5/6 drops with teaspoon of water as a rinse) seems this can calm the incessant burning. 

I really sympathise but this is definitely associated with WD. 
Another thing, if anxious (I’ve had triggers happening in parallel ) then the burning seems to increase. 

I hope this may be of help. 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 2

I didn't have the same exact symptoms @[Wi...], but total numbness and itching, sometimes burning lips, complete loss of taste from one second to the other and complete numbness in esophagus occurred to me. Creating the weirdest sensations I have ever experienced.... This is some w..... s..... (sorry but that is what I feel now).

I hope it is easing up for you very soon 🙏

• Like 1

8 hours ago, [[W...] said:

Has anyone here experienced having a burning mouth as though the entire mouth had been scolded with hot soup, and/or the gum under the tongue being extremely swollen? 

It came at the peak of a wave. I hadn’t eaten in over 48hrs, so it certainly didn’t occur through eating or drinking. 

It’s not distressing or overly painful. I’m just wondering whether it’s a BW symptom or if I’ve just picked something else up? 

Yes, I have this with many other symptoms. Anything I put in my mouth causes numbness tingling stinging and burning. Lots of saliva, dry cracked lips. Throat numbness. Thought it was from food, it's always there but worse when eating. I just ate and it's burning afterwards terribly. Under My tongue isn't swollen though.

Hope you feel better soon 

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Addition
  • Like 1

Yes , I have had the burning tongue as well ,and other symptoms to including throat sensations ,it started after my taper was finished , started off being on and off now I have times that it lasts days on end . You’re right , it feels like you’ve scalded your tongue but you haven’t . The symptoms will lessen though , sometimes they come back when stress is really high . I know it’s scary , it makes us feel like something else is causing it but mine and sounds like each person that responded was all do to withdraw . If you don’t mind my asking , are you finished with your taper or still tapering ? Saying prayers ! Hang in there . 

34 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Yes , I have had the burning tongue as well ,and other symptoms to including throat sensations ,it started after my taper was finished , started off being on and off now I have times that it lasts days on end . You’re right , it feels like you’ve scalded your tongue but you haven’t . The symptoms will lessen though , sometimes they come back when stress is really high . I know it’s scary , it makes us feel like something else is causing it but mine and sounds like each person that responded was all do to withdraw . If you don’t mind my asking , are you finished with your taper or still tapering ? Saying prayers ! Hang in there . 

Hi Cookie, I guess your talking to me lol, I'm still tapering. I'm down to 0.24 4x per day, that's under 1mg. Just made a cut. I'm not doing well at all.i have a long way to go and I have a reaction to this med everytime I take it. So it's no fun.

I've been having this strange nerve jumping type spasm in my upper abdomen under my sternum. It goes into my chest and causes pulse to rise, tachycardia like my heart will explode. Only when I walk and stand or sit up straight. Been going on for awhile so I'm getting a little concerned. I don't think it's a typical withdrawal symptom. Given that, I still have all the other symptoms to go along with it. My brain feels fried! My right leg has Bern numb for over 3 yrs abd has gone upward thru my pelvic floor, up to my belly it seems. Ive had neurological issues before ever took benzos so going to have to see neurologist which I don't want to do in this condition. It will be my first visit with him. Neuro Always thought I had lupus or ms but tests always negative. So idk, went to er last week but if I'm laying down it stops so they didn't get an accurate heart monitor test. And of course then I need a cardiologist now. Idk I've Bern pretty stressed lately which does not help. I don't like talking about my symptoms but I'm pretty well down for the count. Could be my cns is just really lit up but it's Been going on consistently for a month. 

Gonna have to take a deep breath and re access the situation here. Practice what I preach lol.

I hope your doing well, you sound better today. 

Wondered how you were doing  

Say those prayers 

Ns

1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Hi again Cookie, you know I just read a post that talked about heart palpitations. The interesting comment he made was. This is feeding into my symptoms! I think that's exactly what I'm going thru. The belly spasms and tachycardia are giving me anxiety and feeding into my symptoms causing more stress, lighting up my cns and I'm in that cycle! No wonder lol.

I'm doing exactly what I tell everyone else not to do and I need to take my own advice and stop focusing on my symptoms! 

Wow, I told you sonetimes we get caught off guard and get stuck in the loop, not those words exactly buy u know. 

Anyway, I feel so much better now, wow. Can't believe I went there.

Just thought I'd let you know, I'm ok

Prayers 

Ns

• Like 1

Nsindy, I believe your right , the heart palpitations and tachycardia that come and the belly spasms are making your anxiety a lot worse , it’s so hard not to focus and zone it . My tachycardia got so bad with all this they had  to put me on metoprolol . How do your belly spasms feel? I don’t know how to describe mine , it’s literally under my sternum as well  , it’s like it tightens and releases and makes me not want to stand up straight , weird . How many symptoms can one have 😫🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️.  I’m hoping for the best for all of us . 

• Like 1

@[Wi...],

I've got that, too!  It's really annoying.  The tip of my tongue in particular almost always feels burnt.  I get random swollen, reddish spots on my gums and tongue.  W.D., I guess?  I would get this sometimes before wd thought, when I was getting sick, so sometimes it is really hard to tell.  But I was on a benzo then, so... ?  Maybe all of it is just from a messed up immune system regardless of cause?  

[bf...]
15 hours ago, [[R...] said:

I didn't have the same exact symptoms @[Wi...], but total numbness and itching, sometimes burning lips, complete loss of taste from one second to the other and complete numbness in esophagus occurred to me. Creating the weirdest sensations I have ever experienced.... This is some w..... s..... (sorry but that is what I feel now).

I hope it is easing up for you very soon 🙏

I realised after I’d posted that my ‘lips’ were also burning. 👍

It has eased somewhat as I have calmed slightly, but the swelling in the gum under the tongue is still quite swollen and meaty. 

[bf...]
6 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Thanks @[Co...]

Yes… it does seem to be stress induced. It flared right at the peak of quite a distressing wave… almost lost myself completely. I certainly wasn’t my best self. 

[bf...]
5 hours ago, [[n...] said:

I'm doing exactly what I tell everyone else not to do and I need to take my own advice and stop focusing on my symptoms! 

I think we all do this @[ns...]

I think that’s one of the great things about this forum… we can actually remind each other, or even ourselves, when we need reminding. 

Yes… we create a vicious cycle which then only intensifies symptoms. 

[bf...]
3 hours ago, [[B...] said:

@[Wi...],

I've got that, too!  It's really annoying.  The tip of my tongue in particular almost always feels burnt.  I get random swollen, reddish spots on my gums and tongue.  W.D., I guess?  I would get this sometimes before wd thought, when I was getting sick, so sometimes it is really hard to tell.  But I was on a benzo then, so... ?  Maybe all of it is just from a messed up immune system regardless of cause?  

You’re still only early in recovery @[Bu...], so I would certainly expect these things to resolve as you continue to recover. 👍

[bf...]
17 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Yes! @[Wi...] I did post about it (3 Jan).

Had this officially diagnosed by my doctor in Dec 2023 as burning tongue syndrome. Ironically, if you google it benzo is the treatment for it.
This burning arose when I was tapering in Oct 2023. It may seem a small thing and certainly burning is in Ashton but it is hell! Hard to eat and drinking hot drink impossible. Caused insomnia too. 

I was told to have blood test to check B12 etc as that can be a cause. I added in B12 & did not have test. 

My symptoms are less so but my mouth is now numb. Weird. Stopped diazepam a month ago.

There is one remedy I came across. Tabasco pepper sauce. (google burning mouth syndrome Tabasco. 5/6 drops with teaspoon of water as a rinse) seems this can calm the incessant burning. 

I really sympathise but this is definitely associated with WD. 
Another thing, if anxious (I’ve had triggers happening in parallel ) then the burning seems to increase. 

I hope this may be of help. 

Same deal as @[Bu...], @[Ka...].

You are still early in recovery, so it’s perfectly normal to be experiencing symptoms chopping and changing. In time they’ll resolve themselves. 

Edited by Guest

@[Wi...] I am happy that it is easing up! Even if for a little bit. It can make all the difference sometimes! 

What I noticed is dairy products can cause some numbness in the area of the mouth (for me). But strangely sometimes I do tolerate them. 

So I noticed some connection there. But we are all different.. 

Edited by [Re...]
  • Like 1

[bf...]

@[Re...]

It’s possible you may be on to something there, at least in regard to the two of us. 

I hadn’t been consuming any dairy for quite a long time (years), but just recently I found some really nice healthy type crackers (vita-wheat), and somehow, considerable amounts of cheese kept finding its way on top of the crackers. 

[bf...]

@[Re...] @[Bu...] @[Co...] @[ns...] @[Ka...]

I’m pretty sure it’s just a BW symptom, but I’ll cut out the cheese anyway. 

Lips feel like blistering now and other symptoms I described remain the same. 

Probably just a symptom I will have to deal with from here on out. So be it. 👍

A big ‘thank you’ for all your replies. 🫂

• 1 month later...
[Cb...]

I had this burning mouth syndrome something fierce when I was on Xanax and not withdrawing at all.  So it is also a side effect of benzos.  For symptomatic relief I used oragel to numb the tongue, which was the absolute worst of it, sipped on very cold beverages and even ice chips. Oh, and benzocaine lozenges help a lot.    Anywhere that is burning, such as I've had severe burning legs and feet, the use of ice bags, or cold cloths can be very beneficial for symptomatic relief.  Even running your legs under cold bath water for twenty minutes or so can give great relief.  I used to have to get up in the middle of the might and do this. This violent burning of different parts of the body are ALL part of withdrawal.  It is horrible to deal with, but when you are off the medicine, it will stop.  

Edited by [Cb...]

• 4 months later...

Yes I e had that too. Eventually it cleared on its own. Hope you’re better soon.