Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Man Pain

Yesterday I woke up and my testicles felt strained. This was accompanied by my gooch feeling the same, along with some lower back pain. I had been working on a different chair, so I just chalked it up to poor posture and rested most of the day

I woke up today and my one testicle felt slightly swollen. My groin was also very tender on the left side, almost like I pulled it. Is this benzo withdrawal? I’m 33, and have been abstaining for the last 3 months. I used the search function, didn’t see much tbh. I think I will be swinging by urgicare later today

@[Wa...] I would too go to the care center to get checked out. 

I also have symptoms in that area (more than one), sensory disturbances, strange feeling. I am a 37 y.o male. 

The Ashton Manual about bodily sensations:  

"Bodily sensations. All sorts of strange tinglings, pins and needles, patches of numbness, feelings of electric shocks, sensations of hot and cold, itching, and deep burning pain are not uncommon during benzodiazepine withdrawal. It is difficult to give an exact explanation for these sensations but, like motor nerves, the sensory nerves, along with their connections in the spinal cord and brain, become hyperexcitable during withdrawal. It is possible that sensory receptors in skin and muscle, and in the tissue sheaths around bones, may fire off impulses chaotically in response to stimuli that do not normally affect them.

In my clinic, nerve conduction studies in patients with such symptoms revealed nothing abnormal - for example, there was no evidence of peripheral neuritis. However, the symptoms were sometimes enough to puzzle neurologists. Three patients with a combination of numbness, muscle spasms and double vision were diagnosed as having multiple sclerosis. This diagnosis, and all the symptoms, disappeared soon after the patients stopped their benzodiazepines.

Thus these sensory symptoms, though disconcerting, are usually nothing to worry about. Very occasionally, they may persist (see section on protracted symptoms). Meanwhile, the same measures suggested under muscle symptoms (above) can do much to alleviate them, and they usually disappear after withdrawal."

Good luck on the doctors' visit! 

Please don't be discouraged by your symptoms (if your check-up is okay).

Edited by [Re...]
  • Like 1

Thanks @[Re...]. Yeah I hope it’s nothing serious, definitely worth the peace of mind to at least get it looked at. I’ve definitely had those weird body sensations, this is definitely the weirdest though. Apparently there are a lot of nerve endings in that area

Also just to add some more context, I had a really stressful week at work. Currently on .15mg of C so I’m still tapering at the moment

I've had prostate cancer, surgery, follow radiation, etc.  At no time did I ever experience any of the symptoms that your mentioning.  Once, when I was in my 30's, a bajillion years ago, I had a vasectomy and those types of symptoms did occur.  My Dr. told me to take hot baths for awhile.  He thought I probably had some type of infection.  I followed his suggestions and  never did have to go in for a visit.  But,  just to give you some peace of mind, visit your regular PC (hopefully a male) and if you're still concerned, maybe ask to see a urologist.  Again, all my "stuff" came and went and it turned out fine.  

Genital atrophy and sensitivity here. Lots of things down there look and feel different.

Muted and weak orgasms are an understatement.

anyone here not able to pee with any force or feeling you can empty the bladder fully at once?

Edited by [wi...]
  • Like 1

@[wi...] yep the last symptom you mentioned im getting now just as of lately.. somedays I gtta  pee like every ten minutes & then sometimes I go to the washroom only to stand there for a few min before I can even go.  more windows then waves with this tho

Almost 4 months off KLON 2MG daily prescribed

RN my daily symptoms are extreme leg & foot pain/numbness... legs are always buzzing/throbbing!! at night its unbearable sometimes.. hip pain for sure.. I do have herniated discs & I think this is just making the sensations/pain much worse. hope this fades soon before I agree to surgery..  having 4th MRI next friday.. back issues for past 10 yrs

intense muscle pain & rigidness, jaw clenching & pain

sensory issues/burning in my face but I think its starting to get better..\

insane sinus congestion

tremors & extreme anxiety & energy  with any sort of stress

some other common ones as well

managing these daily has been exhausting but im glad I can sleep again sort of. 

Good Luck too ALL of us going though it

Edited by [no...]
  • Like 1

I will certainly agree to all the aforementioned urination problems.  Some of it came on when I had cancer, but nowadays the first thing I look for when I go anywhere is a bathroom.  In fact I won't go shopping with my wife anywhere where they do not have one in walking distance.  And yes, that walking distance is minimal for me because I have the same numbness in my feet and legs that was just described.  Until I started this mess, 2.5 years ago, I used to cycle to work, walk and jog around a nearby lake....and now, I use my cane to hobble from the living room to the kitchen.  Going anywhere in the car is pretty tough.  I know the whereabouts of every rest stop within an hour of here, going any direction.  Don't even get me started on plane trips.  Standing in those tiny holes during minimal turbulence and trying to do anything is impossible. 

It would be awesome to have a men’s group here as one of the clubs, where guys could share specifics on sex, ED , sexual dysfunction, and other issues.

• Like 1

Same here, I need to go quite often, especially after going to bed. I have no underlying conditions. I get some burning skin, itchy skin too, the same sensation as in the skin all over the body but more intense, it is embarrassing and disturbing. The dysfunction symptoms, well, I have them too...

I hope @WarmBath839 will be okay and might let us know. 

@[Wa...] I think everything will turn up ok my man, but yes get it checked out for sure so you have a better idea..  I have SO many referalls happening RN because my Dr is a little confused lets say. lots of strange things happening All at once is concerning for me and confusing for them. 

Best of luck!!  let us know how it goes

Edited by [no...]

I’ve had a lot of symptoms but no swollen or painful testicles thank goodness.  I would get that checked out.  

I’ve had all sorts of swings in libido though, going days with none to days of being hyperaroused.  Difficulty getting an erection at times.  I’ve consistently had delayed ejaculation because my brain and junk don’t seem to be communicating very well.  My lady doesn’t seem to mind that one.  

I have noticed frequent urination and waking up a lot in the night to go to the bathroom.  That may be more insomnia. 

3 hours ago, [[w...] said:

@[dj...]are you feeling any better than you were on Friday?

Thank goodness yes.  Yesterday was my best day in a month.  Thanks for asking. 

Edited by [dj...]

Of course.  We’re all in this together. 
I’m pleased to hear you had relief.

i had a little window last night myself. But woke up with pounding heart and lots of shitty SI, intrusive thoughts and some akathisia with twitching.

Still going to neuro tomorrow?

1 hour ago, [[w...] said:

Of course.  We’re all in this together. 
I’m pleased to hear you had relief.

i had a little window last night myself. But woke up with pounding heart and lots of shitty SI, intrusive thoughts and some akathisia with twitching.

Still going to neuro tomorrow?

Yes.  Good memory.  

Glad you had a window but sorry you woke up with that stuff.  I know that feeling well.  Can’t tell you how many times I have woken up in the middle of the night in absolute terror (with SI). Just the most intense level of fear and anxiety it can last a hour or two.  

Do things change for you after every night’s sleep?  They do for me.  For better or worse.  Never know what symptoms will be raging the next morning.   

Yes, things change so frequently. Right now I’m dealing with severe agoraphobia but have intense restlessness internally. That equals feeling frozen and exploding inside. Really bad looping thoughts. 

Thanks for the support fellas. I went to see a doc Sunday night. Did a urine sample and got a referral for an ultrasound. Waiting for the urine results before I proceed further. My testicles felt much better yesterday, and the doc said he didn’t really notice swelling, just that they were tender. It seems the pain has moved to my abdominal area, although it does feel better after I dose, so maybe benzo related? I will see what the urine results say then go from there

My testicular tenderness is definitely benzo related. My stuff atrophied, not swollen. 

Fabulous.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting about this everyone. I was getting worried that I had something seriously wrong with my gonads. I actually went to a doctor who said I had prostatitis and gave me antibiotics.  But after reading here,  I think I'm tapering too fast.  I have been just abstaining until I feel miserable and then taking the minimal effective does to alleviate the symptoms.  I've cut from 1.5 mg of alprazolam a day to 0.5 a day in about a week - but when the testicle pain and feeling of impending doom arrive... I cave - maybe that's the wrong way to look at it - but that's how my chemically dependent brain looks at it. I can't wait to be rid of this monkey on my back. I feel ... haunted. 

Oh and maybe could you fill out your history? 

Depending on how long you have been taking the medication, you could be tapering very fast. Please be careful. I did this and still in trouble after 8 1/2 months. 

https://www.benzoinfo.com/benzodiazepine-tapering-strategies/

If you are a long time user (many months), cutting 5-10% from a previous dose is recommended. 

Sure, I’m happy to share and thank you for the welcome.  I had a pretty bad habit 8 years ago.  8mg of alprazolam a day for years, but I quit that cold turkey - involuntarily. (That doctor actually surrendered their medical license in exchange for immunity from prosecution for killing two people for benzo-opiate combinations.)  Needless to say, that withdrawal was an unpleasant experience.  Hallucinations, etc.  

Fast-forward and I have learned that kindling is real.  I've been taking 1.5 mg for about 3 months.  So even though the withdrawal is rough, I am not nearly in as bad of shape as I was in 2016.  I don't know why I let a doctor prescribe the stuff for me again - or more reasonably, I want to take accountability,  why I started taking it again.  There are so many weird side effects  of withdrawal this time. I acknowledge that quitting any substance is going to have a degree of misery to it, but the nightmares, feelings of impending doom (which may just be accurate based on the current trajectory of things lol - but I'd like a break) and this weird “haunted” feeling are rough.  

They gave me Bactrim for the prostatitis.  But again, I think the super-urgent urination and testicular pain were just CNS issues related to the physical dependence - a chemical rebalancing act that I was unnecessarily rushing. I don't remember this physical stuff the last time, but frankly last time was so rough - I'm kinda amazed I lived through it.  I'm trying to be more pragmatic in my approach to tapering since I have the choice and don't need to put myself through agony. 

• Like 1

Thank you for clearing this up @[zu...]!

I am happy you are doing better than in 2016! I can imagine your hardships. 

I encourage you to fill out your profile and history with the text above /Username /Profile /Content /, right upper part of the screen. I am certain your story is very useful for the community. 

Please don't hesitate to start your own thread under "Benzodiazepine Withdrawal, Use and Recovery". 

Let us know how we can support you!

• Like 1