Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How fast is too fast?

I’m currently at 1.4 mgs and looking back I seem to have developed hypothyroidism, have gained weight and been unable to lose weight  since being on diazepam since Feb last year.

My only persistent withdrawal symptoms are muscle tension, stiffness and pain in my neck and shoulders.  I sleep like a baby for the first time in my life. I’m not overwhelmed by anxiety. This drug seems to be slowing down my thyroid and making me sick. And they withdrawal symptoms are awful but I can still sleep and when the pain isn’t too intense I can do most normal things.

I am doing a slow water taper. Now I’ve sped up a bit. I’ve noticed that ever since I crossed over to Diazapam I have consistently had pain whether holding, reducing very slowly or speeding it up. So I’m wondering how soon should I walk off ? 

@[...] The general rule seems to be that there is no general rule that applies to everyone, and you know that. You started from 6 mgs, right? 

I am just guessing that maybe you taking and then withdrawing a Z drug and Seroquel has indeed impacted your body last year. 

The fact that you don't have any other symptoms (don't misunderstand this I am sure pain is enough) may suggest a pace that has been okay(ish) for you with Diazepam. 

Our body seems to remember the changes when it comes to these drugs. Seroquel and a Z - drug was already a lot of medication. So, I would maybe reconsider going back to my original slow water taper. 

I am definitely no expert just thinking out loud. One should follow their body and symptoms - and those symptoms may really take time to develop because Diazepam has a long half life. And in this process the body does mark changes.

Of course consulting about hypothyroidism with your doctor is absolutely necessary. 

Edited by [Re...]

[95...]

I’m at 3mg diazepam @[...], and I can’t remember the last time I didn’t experience pain in various parts of my body.

With benzo's being a muscle relaxant, there’s bound to be some pain as we taper. 

@[Re...] thank you for your reply. yes I started at 6 mgs almost 1 year ago now. Given the other meds I was in acute withdrawal from last year it’s taken me a very long time to get from 6 to 1.4. But despite the pain I’m doing SO much better than I was last year and I’ve really picked up the pace with my taper since December. I

I have consulted with my dr regarding my thyroid and she prescribed me t3 which has shown little benefit. The dr who diagnosed my thyroid condition has unfortunately now retired. She was wonderful and helped me to get off seroquel and manage that taper. I actually found the seroquel taper far more intense than have found this benzo taper. Likely due to how long I was on that drug.

I saw a nurse practitioner for my last consult re thyroid and she mentioned getting my thyroid and other hormones in a better place before coming off the diazepam. The thing is I’m quite sure it’s the diazepam that has caused my thyroid to become so hypo and I don’t think it will heal until I’m off the diazepam. 

So I feel an urgency because the diazepam has been making me sick. 

I know my body has healed a lot from the zopiclone and the seroquel. I don’t want to drag this out any longer. I’m thinking maybe tapering .5 mg a week and then just slowing right down for the last .5 mg. 

I know no one can give me a solid answer on this, still I very much appreciate anyone’s input :)

Edited by [...]

@[Wi...] yes exactly. I’ve been quite fortunate that this is the only wd symptom I struggle with. 

Sometimes I wonder if it’s something else particularly with my headaches but I know that it’s most likely the withdrawal as it’s such a common symptom.