Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What is the best way to taper off valium?

Hello everyone, hope you are all well. So I just want to know what is the safest and best way to taper off 2.5mg of valium? It's definitely a low dose, but even at low doses these things have some nasty side effects

Hello izzy

I honestly don't know but i have been tapering from 5mg valium first cut was down to 2,5mg i did not feel so bad then,but then i did the stupid thing to just stop taking the 2,5mg in May because i felt fine.Then i was fine 4 days after that i got in severe wd and had to start up with 2,5mg again and used that a long time to get stable well almost stable.After that i started to taper by using a sandpaper on a table and shave off a little from the tablet.Then i found that it need to be more accurate so i bought a microscale.I use that now .One half 5mg pill weighs 88gram and is 2,5mg. I now take 66gram  total pr day. I think i will start to taper with water to get even better control and slower taper,but will have to read more about it.

Hope you are well and someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Hi, @[iz...].  Unfortunately, I do not believe there is a 'best way' to taper off valium.  I personally am finding that making a small enough reduction in dose on a gradual enough schedule is working for me.  Making 5-10% reductions every 2-4 weeks, from one's current dose, is the most relative and effective 'rule of thumb' for most.

What 'taper strategy' are you currently using to make reductions in your dose?  How long have you been at 2.5mg?  What was your original dose?  How are you feeling?  Any pertinent information you can provide regarding your history with valium and associated symptoms (and any other pyschotropic medication history for that matter) will be helpful for members to provide proper feedback.

We also recommend you provide this information within your profile under 'History'.  This allows members to easily access this information, and for you to only have to 'produce' it once. 

Hi @[iz...], you mentioned in your PM to me that you had to go back on the 2.5 mgs, when was that and how are you feeling now?  Also, what size pills do you have?

You’ve gotten some great suggestions from @[He...] and @[Fa...], so lets work this, okay?