Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Rough patch!!

Hi all,  I've been tapering from Valium 20mg since September 2023 (5 months) and have gotten down to 13.5 mgs.  I've been tapering the last few months at 10% a month and was doing well. But the last 8 days I've hit a really bad wave.  Depression and very elevated anxiety.  Not sure how I can go months with being ok to getting slammed like this.  Is it some arbitrary wave , have my cuts caught up to me?  Should I hold or up dose?  Not sure what to do. Any insight or suggestions would be welcome

@[Wi...], @[Pa...], @[Li...]

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

Have you been on the 13.5mg just 8 days or longer?  I'm not so experienced as I destroyed my own taper, but I would hold a couple weeks.

Edited by [Si...]

I've been on 13.5 mg. Now for 9 days.  I usually cut 2.5%  every 7 days

And thanks for your reply!!

Edited by [al...]

Hey @[al...],

When I got down to the lower doses, it got harder for me, maybe that's what's going on with you too.  I think @[Si...] is right,  I think holding might be the best option for now and see if things improve a bit. 

• Like 1

I agree with @[Si...] and @[Bu...], holding sounds like a good idea and after you stabilize, you might want to hold your reductions longer.

Valium has such a long half life, you may be making your next reduction before your body has fully realized the last one.  I’ve read quite a few members mention this, the cuts seem to stack up and you get hit really hard when they do. 

• Like 1

[68...]

Hi @[al...]

It’s difficult to pinpoint your potential factors without knowing exactly how you are tapering, so I’ll ask a question…

When you say you’ve been tapering at 10% the last few months… are you using scales for accuracy and a calculator to re-calculate that 10% from each new lower dose… otherwise the percentage of each new cut is climbing.

You would be better off cutting 5% or lower every 10-14 days rather than 2.5% every 7 days. I know I don’t experience any improvement until day 9 or 10 of my reductions, so as others above have suggested, your reductions are probably piling up. I agree… just hold and rethink your taper strategy. 

Edited by Guest

@[Wi...] , yes , I use a scale and base my cuts on weight . Each 2.5% cut I base off the last weight.  I figured at 2.5% a week would be easier than making a whole 5% cut at once and I would be able to attain 10% a month reductions. It's been for the most part going well with the occasional wave but this last wave has really been rough.  I guess I just gotta hold and slow it down.  I really didn't want to have to taper this crap for the next 2-3 years.  But what can one do, I can't make my brain and nervous system bend to my will..  just frustrating.  But I appreciate your input @[Wi...]!!

@[al...]

Hi pal.

I started my taper at 20mg last march 2023. Currently down to 5mg and holding. I'm dropping 0.5mg every 2 weeks but sometimes my body tells me to hold for another week or so. So sometimes I could be holding a dose for 3 weeks. 

Definitely worth holding till your body is somewhat content. I agree with the others on this thread for sure. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, [[a...] said:

I really didn't want to have to taper this crap for the next 2-3 years.  But what can one do, I can't make my brain and nervous system bend to my will..  just frustrating.

Truer words…..

• Like 1